PDA

View Full Version : Is this the norm for Excal?

MtnViewPyro
10-22-2017, 04:36 PM
Finally rained and I’m getting ready to shoot off some of the new brand of shells I purchased a few weeks ago. I’ve never had excals as I’m one of those that say whatever shell you can get the cheapest is normally the best but I splurged a bit and bought some of the more popular shells. Anyways, in the picture below, the excal has the time fuse on the outside of the shell. Is that the norm for them? Just not something I’m use to seeing. The other shell is a hellcat can for an example of what every other shell I’m use to seeing. Just curious and learning all these new products!?

Icooclast
10-22-2017, 05:04 PM
i haven't had an excal in a long time, but that's what i remember them looking like. they are longer so you can get the fuse out of the tube and get away from it before it goes up.. i think (i'm no expert,though.)

to answer your question, yes, looks like every shell i've ever had (from cheap to expensive) are you sure it's not the hell cats and others you've bought that are different than the norm? instead of the other way around?

MtnViewPyro
10-22-2017, 06:11 PM
i haven't had an excal in a long time, but that's what i remember them looking like. they are longer so you can get the fuse out of the tube and get away from it before it goes up.. i think (i'm no expert,though.)

to answer your question, yes, looks like every shell i've ever had (from cheap to expensive) are you sure it's not the hell cats and others you've bought that are different than the norm? instead of the other way around?

Lol. Yes, I could be the oddball. I’m new to all of this, so the limited amount of shells I have used might be the different ones.

PyroManiacs
10-22-2017, 08:54 PM
Im going to take a stab at this.....Ive never had any shells with time fuse on the outside. So maybe they are trying something new as in the case with the pink fuse... I believe both ends have a lift charge, eliminating the act of putting a shell in "upside down". Light the fuse..both ends lift almost simultaneously. Even if each ignition were .5 seconds apart... still goin' up. Only thing though... more lift weight...less effect weight.

This is just a guess based on previous safety topics over the last few months. So I could be wrong.

jamisonlm3
10-22-2017, 09:21 PM
On another forum, there was a discussion about some Excalibur shells having a dual lift. That's one of them. If somone loads them upside down, they'll still go up without the danger of a CATO. I'm waiting for someone to open one of them up. The Excalibur shells I've seen cut open usually come in around 45g. More than enough for another 8g of lift, but you never know. Either way, it sill won't help people that try to "hand fire" them.

PyroManiacs
10-22-2017, 09:55 PM
On another forum, there was a discussion about some Excalibur shells having a dual lift.

There we go, I wasnt sure exactly where I read it, but now I remember. Thanks.

MtnViewPyro
10-22-2017, 11:01 PM
Thanks guys. Figured I would get an explanation. I unwrapped four shells today since I seen this and to put in an MJG. The four I opened was an excal, hellcat, Sky Titan, and demon shell. The only one with the pink fuse was the excal. I am bias about the hellcat because I’ve been using them awhile and they never let me down. With that said, the Pyro Demon Demon Shells where by far the best. Hellcats had more of a thump than the remaining three and excal a little wider break. Sky Titan was not bad, would say it’s middle of the road. I have a few brands to test but I am currently very impressed with Demon Shells.

As far as the “dual lift” with excal, maybe one day all consumer shells will be the same for safety. Just thought it was odd since it was something new for me.

displayfireworks1
10-23-2017, 04:58 AM
Of all people a chemist from the CPSC told me about a dual lift design of the canister artillery shell by Jakes. World Class may have a design patent on this. I have been saying for years the accidental upside loading was occurring, I just never figured this as a solution. Apparent that pink fuse is a fast fuse.

Kenny East
10-23-2017, 05:18 AM
Curious about the build on these shells, could be a double lift charge design to off set catos... Could be that they top fused the shells in an effort to prevent a flower pot. I top fuse my canister shells so i don't have to press the bottom plug with time fuse in it. This makes for a stronger bottom plug and fewer flower pots. I usually run a piece of quick match down to the lift from the time fuse on top. Gotta buy a box of excals to check it out..

displayfireworks1
10-23-2017, 07:18 AM
I believe this to be the patent on the design here.
https://www.google.com/patents/US9506730?dq=inassignee:%22Jake's+Fireworks,+Inc.% 22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjX4rn-zobXAhUB6SYKHbjCCNsQ6AEIVzAH

MtnViewPyro
10-23-2017, 01:53 PM
I believe this to be the patent on the design here.
https://www.google.com/patents/US9506730?dq=inassignee:%22Jake's+Fireworks,+Inc.% 22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjX4rn-zobXAhUB6SYKHbjCCNsQ6AEIVzAH

I believe that is it Dave. As you stated in an earlier post, interesting choice for solution. If I didn’t live in city limits, I would shoot another off today loaded upside down and see what happens. I have to spread my shell fun out though to not upset the neighbors.

Icooclast
10-23-2017, 05:46 PM
So maybe they are trying something new as in the case with the pink fuse... .

now, i haven't had as many excals as you guys, but i have never had one with a pink fuse, just a big green one. however, i've never taken the wrapping off of one, either.

Kenny East
10-23-2017, 08:45 PM
Kinda want to break one down and see the construction, if it's got a double lift charge, curious if they changed the way they make the end plugs.

displayfireworks1
10-23-2017, 09:13 PM
I going to guess there is minimal lift enough to get the shell out of the mortar but not to the total height it would be if launched correctly. Remember, unless they obtained some sort of exemption, the total composition of the shell still can not exceed the regulations. These canisters shells are already made pretty close to maximum prior to this new design. I wish I could get my hands on one of the new ones. I should ask World Class to send me some. I wish I knew about this prior to the NFA convention.

RalphieJ
10-23-2017, 11:11 PM
On another forum, there was a discussion about some Excalibur shells having a dual lift. That's one of them. If somone loads them upside down, they'll still go up without the danger of a CATO. I'm waiting for someone to open one of them up. The Excalibur shells I've seen cut open usually come in around 45g. More than enough for another 8g of lift, but you never know. Either way, it sill won't help people that try to "hand fire" them.

Or put them on their heads.

MtnViewPyro
10-23-2017, 11:28 PM
I’m almost certain after shooting the shell off it’s a double lift. If you guys lived around me I would donate you some of mine for further experimenting lol.

pfm1700
11-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Yes, it is most definitely a double lift. When the lift from the top goes off, there is no compression, so does not affect the lift of the bottom charge, as the bottom is seated within the mortar. Does that make sense? I may not have explained that very clear.

MontanaMike
11-18-2017, 02:49 PM
Seems sad that it's necessary to use some valuable powder capacity in order to "idiot proof" these shells.

On the other hand, the alternative would probably be banning mortar shells from consumer fireworks, so...

RalphieJ
10-28-2019, 02:58 PM
The CPSC is also investigating a redesign of the base of the included mortars. The new design will consist of 6" of TPU or Thermoplastic Urethane, (which is used in current football helmets) glued to the base of the mortar. The new design will be made mandatory, as it will reduce the number of catastrophic, blunt force injuries and subsequent deaths of those drunks, stoners, and illiterates who cannot comprehend simple instructions, when they place the loaded mortar on their heads before firing. So far, indications are that the CPSC is favorable towards the redesign, and has stated "The increased cost of $125 per individual aerial shell package far outweighs the horrific injury rate of from 0 to as high as 2 annually."

Rick_In_Tampa
10-28-2019, 03:58 PM
"The increased cost of $125 per individual aerial shell package far outweighs the horrific injury rate of from 0 to as high as 2 annually."

It's genius comments like this that make people distrustful of government.

Fox One
10-28-2019, 11:32 PM
The CPSC is also investigating a redesign of the base of the included mortars. The new design will consist of 6" of TPU or Thermoplastic Urethane, (which is used in current football helmets) glued to the base of the mortar. The new design will be made mandatory, as it will reduce the number of catastrophic, blunt force injuries and subsequent deaths of those drunks, stoners, and illiterates who cannot comprehend simple instructions, when they place the loaded mortar on their heads before firing. So far, indications are that the CPSC is favorable towards the redesign, and has stated "The increased cost of $125 per individual aerial shell package far outweighs the horrific injury rate of from 0 to as high as 2 annually."

That reads like something from The Onion. :D

RalphieJ
10-29-2019, 07:24 AM
That reads like something from The Onion. :D

I hope no one takes it seriously. I am not a fan of federal bureaucrats........