PDA

View Full Version : Firing Individual tubes from rack.

Zippster
10-14-2017, 11:08 AM
Hey all, I am building a new rack for next season but dont want to fire the entire rack at once, instead will be firing each tube individually at different points of the show. Will just covering each tube with tinfoil on its own work and protect from crossfire? Any tips suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

MtnViewPyro
10-14-2017, 01:23 PM
I use aluminum tape and it seems to work rather well. Beats cutting foil to size then taping. However, tin foil will work just fine.

Kenny East
10-14-2017, 10:58 PM
Heater duct tape or aluminum foil tape work great. Foil over each tube will work as well. Are they being hand lit or ematched? I've filled racks with shells and hand fired individual shots. Just make sure none of the fuses are touching or crossing each other. Use a small piece of tape to keep fuses separated, by securing each fuse to the side of a tube or cross member of a rack.

Zippster
10-17-2017, 09:29 PM
ematch firing. Sounds good, thanks guys.

MtnViewPyro
10-18-2017, 11:28 PM
ematch firing. Sounds good, thanks guys.

I’ve been sticking MJG into my shells lately when playing around. So much easier than fusing for sure.

Donnie
10-23-2017, 08:25 AM
If you're ematching the lift of each shell, you really don't need any crossfire protection at all... it's usually the fuse that gives you problems. If you pull the fuse and replace it with a match, there's not much there TO crossfire.

Just make sure you tie the match leads off to a screw or something on the rack so that they don't try to take your firing system airborne with them.

Also, when e-firing racks in any manner, always have the racks perpendicular to the audience, so that if something happens and the rack tips over or CATO's and spills its guns, it'll always be pointing to either the left or the right on the field, not towards the audience. On a hand-fired show this isn't as big a concern with individually-fired shells as you'll know pretty quickly if something happens to the rack, but with e-firing, it may happen and you might not see it until you lift a shell and it takes off across the ground.

Zippster
10-23-2017, 10:49 AM
If you're ematching the lift of each shell, you really don't need any crossfire protection at all... it's usually the fuse that gives you problems. If you pull the fuse and replace it with a match, there's not much there TO crossfire.

Just make sure you tie the match leads off to a screw or something on the rack so that they don't try to take your firing system airborne with them.

Also, when e-firing racks in any manner, always have the racks perpendicular to the audience, so that if something happens and the rack tips over or CATO's and spills its guns, it'll always be pointing to either the left or the right on the field, not towards the audience. On a hand-fired show this isn't as big a concern with individually-fired shells as you'll know pretty quickly if something happens to the rack, but with e-firing, it may happen and you might not see it until you lift a shell and it takes off across the ground.

Thanks Donnie, great info I didnt think of, especially something as simple as tying off the ematch, airborne controllers not a good thing. lol

Kenny East
10-26-2017, 04:34 AM
For consumer size shells i usually just wrap the wire around a cross member on a rack. I drill small holes in larger guns to secure ematch leads.

hatsgoods
10-26-2017, 06:19 AM

That's what I do but I'll leave the original fuse in and I don't unravel it. The i foil each tube.