PDA

View Full Version : Ohio on path to legalize fireworks

Stormcrow
10-12-2017, 07:13 PM
House just passed a bill in Ohio to legalize fireworks. Full legalization would be 2020

jbt68
10-12-2017, 09:44 PM
Way to go Ohio! Just need to get the movement some more traction here in Virginia!

MtnViewPyro
10-12-2017, 10:59 PM
That’s awesome news.

chriskrc
10-13-2017, 06:52 AM
Great job Ohio, sounds like you will be able to light off all year round with this bill too.

Wholesale Fireworks
10-13-2017, 02:39 PM
This bill still needs to pass the Senate. It is not officially legal yet. Even if it does become legal in the state, local municipalities and local governments can still make it illegal to set them off.

Stormcrow
10-13-2017, 05:32 PM
Lack of any enforcement in my area makes this doubtful. But thanks for the heads up didn't even think about local government. All indications are the senate will pass it and Kasich will sign it.

Icooclast
10-13-2017, 07:55 PM
YES!!!!!!! times infinity to the 10th power. lol

being a resident of Ohio, i have always worried about that one cop one year who was having a bad day and deciding to do more than just tell me "enough for tonight, start back up tomorrow night" (i'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea.) i live in Jefferson county in Ohio. and the sheriff's son owns a fireworks stand. 1 out of many. so, i wonder how they'll handle the bill if passed? from what i hear the guy gets away with practically anything because of daddy

MtnViewPyro
10-13-2017, 10:05 PM
Yeah once it’s passed, more likely than not, a large majority of local governments will allow it. They need all the revenue they can get. I could see some larger municipalities say no but all the rural areas will go for the sales tax. In my small town in Missouri, they only allow fireworks on the 4th and New Years with a permit but if you have a special occasion you can sweet talk the Police Chief and he will give you a permit. However, if you live outside the city limits, you could have a show all day every day.

Rick_In_Tampa
10-16-2017, 07:02 PM
About time Ohio woke up and joined the rest of the free world. No doubt the revenue generating potential is what carried the day, but it's still a great win for Ohio pyros!

Sad that it's still going to take 2 years to implement, but.... I guess it gives you time to build up your pyro budget!

Icooclast
10-16-2017, 07:40 PM
like what was said, bummer it'll take 2 years, but better late (and in our life time) than never. right?

pimpdaddee28
03-05-2018, 05:03 AM
Bump...

I've been sick all of these months and because of that I didn't know about any of this until last week!!

YES YES YES!!!!

However...they did the same thing back in 2014 and the House passed the bill in November, but when it reached the Senate in December, they didn't even vote on it. They pretty much filibustered it and a few weeks later they gave some excuse about how the bill needed to be revised a little bit. I sincerely PRAY that they don't do the same stupid thing that they did last time and basically kill the bill.

Fortunately, my sources have told me that it is almost a lock that the bill will indeed pass the Senate this time. Phantom has actually been pushing hard for this bill to pass, although it's kinda strange because I remember reading somewhere a few years back that they were AGAINST the legalization of 1.4g items in a different state. I guess they roll with whatever helps their business the most and/or hurts their competition at the same time, lol. At any rate, I'll give them some props for being on the customer's side for once. I've been waiting for over 20 years for this to happen and for big budget pyromanics like myself, this couldn't have come any sooner.

pimpdaddee28
03-05-2018, 05:23 AM
Bump...

I've been sick all of these months and because of that I didn't know about any of this until last week!!

YES YES YES!!!!

However...they did the same thing back in 2014 and the House passed the bill in November, but when it reached the Senate in December, they didn't even vote on it. They pretty much filibustered it and a few weeks later they gave some excuse about how the bill needed to be revised a little bit. I sincerely PRAY that they don't do the same stupid thing that they did last time and basically kill the bill.

Fortunately, my sources have told me that it is almost a lock that the bill will indeed pass the Senate this time. Phantom has actually been pushing hard for this bill to pass, although it's kinda strange because I remember reading somewhere a few years back that they were AGAINST the legalization of 1.4g items in a different state. I guess they roll with whatever helps their business the most and/or hurts their competition at the same time, lol. At any rate, I'll give them some props for being on the customer's side for once. I've been waiting for over 20 years for this to happen and for big budget pyromanics like myself, this couldn't have come any sooner.

Now that I think about it, being that Ohio is Phantom's home state & base of operations, it would benefit them more so to legalize 1.4g, especially since Phantom has more stores in Ohio (about 11) than in any other state in the USA. Throw in the Moratorium and it makes even more sense for them to be in favor of legalizing 1.4g. It's all about business when it comes to Phantom, but I guess I'll still give them props for siding with the consumers and not those pathetic lobbyists.

jknepp1954
03-05-2018, 09:55 AM
Phantom has 6 stores in Pa. Getting ready to do 2 or 3 more in Pittsburgh area. And who knows where else.

pimpdaddee28
03-05-2018, 07:13 PM
Phantom has 6 stores in Pa. Getting ready to do 2 or 3 more in Pittsburgh area. And who knows where else.

I keep telling people that all that Phantom has to offer when you walk into one of their stores is the air conditioning. Their "department store-like" environment also lures people into a false sense of security and after you shop there, the air conditioning will be the best deal that you got out of going to that store, cause it's the only thing that didn't cost you an arm and a leg, lol.

RalphieJ
03-05-2018, 07:56 PM
If you ever knew what importers pay for 1.4 fireworks vs. what you have to pay, you would find another hobby.

Rick_In_Tampa
03-06-2018, 09:46 AM
If you ever knew what importers pay for 1.4 fireworks vs. what you have to pay, you would find another hobby.

The price of class C items at PGI last year was ridiculous, but people paid the price. I talked to one couple from California and they said they know they paid way too much, but they can't get the stuff in California, so they're willing to pay the high prices in order to enjoy their fireworks.

pimpdaddee28
03-08-2018, 07:34 AM
Okay, it's this type of reporting that infuriates me. From what I remember about the man that was injured in the video in this article, they were not specific about the types of fireworks that he purchased and caused him to be seriously injured (I highly suspect that home made m-80s was part of his shopping spree, because regulated 1.4 products cannot blow your entire arm off). This is eerily similar to Jason Pierre Paul's incident with his fireworks. He purchased a bunch of home made m-80s and salutes and he never mentioned what type of fireworks that he was lighting when he blew his fingers off. The idiot lit it off in his hand and he tried to throw it afterwards, which led to him losing a few fingers, and now he is a crusader for the anti-fireworks movement?? It's amazing how much stupidity exists in this country, smh...

This article and video, btw, is from a local news station in Cleveland, Ohio.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/ohio-bill-to-legalize-fireworks-will-have-2nd-senate-hearing

Icooclast
03-08-2018, 08:43 AM
i'm just hoping they don't slap anywhere near a 12% sales tax on it like PA did.

pimpdaddee28
03-08-2018, 10:16 AM
i'm just hoping they don't slap anywhere near a 12% sales tax on it like PA did.

I'm hearing that it'll be around 4% on top of the sales tax, which is 6.75% at the WF Boom in Hubbard. I'm not a 100% sure about the rules when it comes to these taxes, but I know that if a vendor sells retail, then they have to pay the extra tax and then they have the choice to pass some or all of the tax onto the consumer. I'm not sure if the same rule applies to wholesale orders. I did notice that in some states, the laws state that the taxes aren't charged to wholesale vendors. Can someone clear that up for me??

Does that mean that these "safety taxes/fees" are only charged on retail purchases or are they also charged to wholesale orders as well??

Icooclast
03-08-2018, 10:52 AM
I'm hearing that it'll be around 4% on top of the sales tax, which is 6.75% at the WF Boom in Hubbard. I'm not a 100% sure about the rules when it comes to these taxes, but I know that if a vendor sells retail, then they have to pay the extra tax and then they have the choice to pass some or all of the tax onto the consumer. I'm not sure if the same rule applies to wholesale orders. I did notice that in some states, the laws state that the taxes aren't charged to wholesale vendors. Can someone clear that up for me??

Does that mean that these "safety taxes/fees" are only charged on retail purchases or are they also charged to wholesale orders as well??

i would like to know this as well. so, if anyone knows anything. let us know :)

Wholesale Fireworks
03-08-2018, 11:52 AM

The additional tax would apply to ALL taxable sales. Even when you purchase wholesale cases you pay tax, so the case sales would be taxed as well.

PTFan
03-08-2018, 04:30 PM
The additional tax would apply to ALL taxable sales. Even when you purchase wholesale cases you pay tax, so the case sales would be taxed as well.

Do out of state internet wholesale orders get taxed the same or different from Ohio residents?

pimpdaddee28
03-09-2018, 07:24 AM

Thanks for the info Ray!! In the end, it doesn't really matter to me. Paying the extra money is worth it if I can have more time to light my entire stash off than just the 4th of July. I've been saying this for many years now and believe me, I'm not the only one who feels that way.

The way I see it, I HAVE TO light some of my fireworks off at least a few days before the 4th if I want to light off everything in my stash. If I have to keep doing that under the current laws, I have a feeling a cop will catch me one of these years and because he's either having a bad day or he simply just doesn't like fireworks, he'll feel like giving me a $1000 fine.

I know most people don't buy as much as hobbyists like us, but that risk alone is why the extra tax is worth it to me. Although that doesn't mean that we can't repeal the extra tax at some point in the near future.

Rick_In_Tampa
03-09-2018, 06:05 PM
This article and video, btw, is from a local news station in Cleveland, Ohio.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/ohio-bill-to-legalize-fireworks-will-have-2nd-senate-hearing

Did a little research on the doctors comments. He claims 12K - 14K fireworks accidents (presumably) in 2017. The CPSC report I read claims between 8K - 14K. A difference of almost 66% if you take the numbers on the low end of each estimate. The doctor never mentioned there have only been 4 reported deaths due to fireworks in 2016. It sucks if you're one of the 4, but relative to the number of people and fireworks being shot each year, that's a statistically insignificant number. More people (100) die from bee stings every year!

pimpdaddee28
06-08-2018, 04:46 AM
BUMP

It looks like all we need is the governor's signature and then we can officially celebrate in the Buckeye state!! Check out the 4th bullet point in the list of 28 bills that were passed.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2018/06/07/ohio-gop-legislature-ohio-house-bills/680320002/

pimpdaddee28
06-08-2018, 05:05 AM
BUMP

It looks like all we need is the governor's signature and then we can officially celebrate in the Buckeye state!! Check out the 4th bullet point in the list of 28 bills that were passed.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2018/06/07/ohio-gop-legislature-ohio-house-bills/680320002/

I haven't seen an update on http://www.ohiosenate.gov/committees...cument-archive

The pretty much list every Senate hearing that takes place on their page and it seems that they haven't updated their archive yet. The last date recorded is June 6th, which was Wednesday and these 28 bills were just passed yesterday, June 7th.

My guess is that, more than likely, they haven't updated it yet. I certainly hope this is legit, because now comes the tough hurdle of getting that idiot Kasich's signature, who has been an avid opponent of legalizing fireworks in Ohio for many years. My guess is the president of Phantom's fat bank accounts has swayed him towards our side this time around, but that doesn't excuse him making money off of us Ohio pyros while keeping is ignorant anti-firework lobbyists happy by not allowing us to shoot off the pyro that we purchased in our own state. All so that he can keep their campaign funding and votes In other words, he gets to have his cake and eat it while we have to pay for that cake. Oh, but God help us if we even touch that cake (in fact, we're lucky to just even look at it, lol).

Stormcrow
06-08-2018, 07:04 PM
Nice. Kasich already said he was signing. Can’t wait to be legal in 2020.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Wait... What? 2020??

Robbro097
06-08-2018, 09:00 PM
Its gonna b nice to b able to have fireworks shipped gonna give us ohio pyros access to alotta diff brands/product we havent w out a long road trip I can't wait the tax is gonna suck but still worth it to shoot w out looking over our shoulder

Stormcrow
06-08-2018, 10:29 PM
Wait... What? 2020??

Last I read legalization won’t take full effect until 2020. Same time as weed......hmmmm interesting. Right around the corner legalized sports betting hopefully and I’ll be in paradise. Except in winter when I stay with rick in Florida.

PGH_Pyro
06-11-2018, 12:35 PM
had a g.f. in the Massillon, OH. area and you'd never know that pyro wasn't legal ... new years even rivaled what I see, here.
a guy told me that the cops in that area anyway looked the other way as long as nobody was being stupid and dangerous with their fireworks.
and i mean, big salutes and stuff, too.
hope Ohio will fully legalize .

pimpdaddee28
06-12-2018, 03:15 AM
had a g.f. in the Massillon, OH. area and you'd never know that pyro wasn't legal ... new years even rivaled what I see, here.
a guy told me that the cops in that area anyway looked the other way as long as nobody was being stupid and dangerous with their fireworks.
and i mean, big salutes and stuff, too.
hope Ohio will fully legalize .

Wish I lived in that area. Where I live there are a bunch of old people who hate noise PERIOD and will call the cops on you even if you light off a simple moon traveler or a small 1 inch firecracker. Even in the area where I go to light off pyro just a few days before the 4th, there will be cops that will eventually come and tell me to stop, but they will also tell me that I can do whatever I want on the 4th of July (because it's virtually impossible for them to arrest everyone that is lighting off 1.4g fireworks). I'm just sick of only having 2 hours to light off my pyro every year. The state has been having its cake and eating it as well for over 30+ years while us Ohio hobbyists have been either getting nothing from that cake or just some leftover crumbs. It's a real shame that they taxed us all these years for what we purchased, but in all actuality what we purchased was worthless within our own state, unless we followed the stupid Liar's Law and took what we purchased out of state.

It's as if a thief robbed you in broad daylight, told you to go home and you had to follow his orders unless you wanted to suffer the consequences, lol. How is this any different from what the state has been doing to us all these years? The only difference is that the state didn't tell us to go home. They, in fact, told us (very politely) to get the hell out!! But only after we got robbed...smh...

PyroManiacs
06-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Wish I lived in that area. Where I live there are a bunch of old people who hate noise PERIOD and will call the cops on you even if you light off a simple moon traveler or a small 1 inch firecracker. Even in the area where I go to light off pyro just a few days before the 4th, there will be cops that will eventually come and tell me to stop, but they will also tell me that I can do whatever I want on the 4th of July (because it's virtually impossible for them to arrest everyone that is lighting off 1.4g fireworks). I'm just sick of only having 2 hours to light off my pyro every year. The state has been having its cake and eating it as well for over 30+ years while us Ohio hobbyists have been either getting nothing from that cake or just some leftover crumbs. It's a real shame that they taxed us all these years for what we purchased, but in all actuality what we purchased was worthless within our own state, unless we followed the stupid Liar's Law and took what we purchased out of state.

It's as if a thief robbed you in broad daylight, told you to go home and you had to follow his orders unless you wanted to suffer the consequences, lol. How is this any different from what the state has been doing to us all these years? The only difference is that the state didn't tell us to go home. They, in fact, told us (very politely) to get the hell out!! But only after we got robbed...smh...

Beautifully said! I think I just shed a tear!

Jaredreldridge
07-11-2020, 08:49 AM
So has there been any update on if this is actually going to take effect that anyone knows of

Bitzan
07-11-2020, 10:47 AM
So has there been any update on if this is actually going to take effect that anyone knows of

Everyone too busy putting their mask on and taking it off to make much progress but inching forward.

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/politics/2020/06/08/Ohio-lawmakers-move-to-legalize-use-of-fireworks/stories/20200608073

joewad
07-11-2020, 05:02 PM
It's all good but I would expect them to add a nice little "safety tax" on top of the state sales tax once in place. Kinda like cigarrettes and booze, they gotta bitch a bit about smokers and drinkers but they love how it fills their coffers. Did you ever wonder why Convenient Stores and Liquor Stores were deemed essential to stay open during the pandemic. Over here in Indiana it's an additional 5% on retail fireworks but appears to be migrating to wholesale 1.3 as well. I know because one of my wholesale 1.3 purchases just got it added, first time ever. I asked seller and their response was that their were audited by ab Indiana's "official group" and was told they needed to start adding it. I have researched and cant find it spelled out in any of Indiana's documents.

Icooclast
07-11-2020, 05:18 PM
i've said this before, but: i hope they don't do in Ohio like when PA legalized fireworks: an 18% total sales tax on "the good stuff" is insane

Salutecake
07-12-2020, 03:44 PM
That is Insane, that's why I go to Ohio to buy my stuff, lol. Anyway, in PA (and in other state) a lot of the bigger cities are crying about the fireworks going off round the clock, and now the Senate already pass some bill to allow these city to make fireworks illegal in their towns. So I hope it does not happen but if it does I hope that the cities also give up any part of the tax revenue that they now collect. Part 2 of this, they wee illegal what 2 years ago and it didn't stop anything, people still find a place to buy and just set them off as they please.