PDA

View Full Version : has anyone here lit spirit of 76's hellcat cans?

Icooclast
10-01-2017, 05:31 PM
what did you think of them? because i watched their video, and they sound like they put every other shell kit to shame (including excaliber) and i don't take saying that lightly. or like my previous post: is something in the area making them seem louder than they are?

here's the video fro spirit of 76:
https://www.76fireworks.com/RL240A_Hellcat_Cans_175_60

PyroManiacs
10-01-2017, 06:23 PM
The audio has definitely been adjusted.

isp307
10-01-2017, 08:28 PM
I have used them for the last two years and thought they were a good shell. No complaints from me.

MtnViewPyro
10-01-2017, 10:17 PM
I have really enjoyed them. Here is a video of me shooting 18 off in a fan rack. Just used my iPhone to record it so no audio adjustment. Also, fast forward to around 7:10 in the video.
https://youtu.be/guM8pTEjmFY

For reference, here is 18 supernova cans. They are shot a lot faster though.
https://youtu.be/ZNOkBiKFCWU

To me, the hellcat cans really thump. The supernova cans are just not as loud but, the supernova cans are really nice for effect and being able to purchase just the specific effect you want. I have a shipment of a some of the top can shells coming and will compare them. However, I will always prefer the hellcat can because I can get them cheaper than any of the other shells out there because of where I live relative to Spirit of 76 warehouse.

cptnding
10-01-2017, 10:31 PM
They are good. But the sound in that video is most certainly juiced! The 76 Supernova cans are good also and cost a little less if you have access to them. No fancy packaging. Excals are great also.

WithReport
10-01-2017, 11:05 PM
T...Excals are great also.

I'll be paying closer attention to Excalibur shells by World Class Fireworks in the future. This past 4th of July, I thought they were a bit weaker than years past. The other week at a club member's shoot, we discovered their was a lift charge on both ends with a quick pink visco between the top and the bottom charges. :confused:

Clever solution to idiot proof the canister for those putting it upside down; however, any additional (wasted) lift charge is a reduction in the actual report.:mad:

This was an Excalibur shell without the newer plastic cap on the top that the green visco runs through. Maybe the newer ones with the plastic cap only have one lift charge. (Personally, I try to avoid all any aerial items that are plastic.)

cptnding
10-01-2017, 11:15 PM
This video popped up on youtube after I watched Mtnviewpyro's video (excellent by the way!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F70S8hFappQ

He doesn't have Hellcats but shoots 8 different canisters shells in a comparison. 7 of 8 are all pretty much the same. Go to about 8:50 to skip all the bs and just see the shells being shot.
The only canister shells I've ever been disappointed with were Brothers Quest. I would like to think that the box I got was just from a sub-par lot as Brother's stuff is mostly very good.

MtnViewPyro
10-01-2017, 11:53 PM
This video popped up on youtube after I watched Mtnviewpyro's video (excellent by the way!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F70S8hFappQ

He doesn't have Hellcats but shoots 8 different canisters shells in a comparison. 7 of 8 are all pretty much the same. Go to about 8:50 to skip all the bs and just see the shells being shot.
The only canister shells I've ever been disappointed with were Brothers Quest. I would like to think that the box I got was just from a sub-par lot as Brother's stuff is mostly very good.

Yeah I'm a firm believer that a large portion of the shells out there are the same. As long as you can find one that fits what you want and is a decent price, you will always be happy. With that said, I still bought several different can shells recently just to play with lol. Even bought 2 different 5" shells, even though they can still only have 60grams haha.

I've never bought Quest shells but I'm like you, would have thought anything brothers would be at least average.

cptnding
10-02-2017, 12:01 AM
I'll be paying closer attention to Excalibur shells by World Class Fireworks in the future. This past 4th of July, I thought they were a bit weaker than years past. The other week at a club member's shoot, we discovered their was a lift charge on both ends with a quick pink visco between the top and the bottom charges. :confused:

Clever solution to idiot proof the canister for those putting it upside down; however, any additional (wasted) lift charge is a reduction in the actual report.:mad:

This was an Excalibur shell without the newer plastic cap on the top that the green visco runs through. Maybe the newer ones with the plastic cap only have one lift charge. (Personally, I try to avoid all any aerial items that are plastic.)

I don't want to hijack the OP's question but I've been wondering about that whole thing myself. I haven't ran into the double lift ones yet. There were debates on quality after the plastic caps started showing up and I shot some 2016 ones with no caps and 2017 ones with plastic caps side by side and could not see any difference. I use a metric f ton of Excal shells every year. I shoot 4 shows per year and put up 300-400 of them in a sky puke at the end of every show. And we sell them in the shop.
I have had them delivered this year in February, April and late June. The first 2 deliveries all had ones with plastic caps. The ones that came in June had 2 sleeves with caps and 2 sleeves without caps in every box. None had the double lift. I remove the outer label on all the ones I use personally to cut down on trash in the racks and trash in the yard. The blown up pieces of brown cardboard material disappear in no time but that glossy colored paper wrap stays around for months. None of them had the double lift.
I'm not a fan of the plastic either. For me safety isn't the issue because I am lucky enough to have 350 feet of setback from my audience. My thought was having to pick them all up afterwards. So far this hasn't been a problem. I have found very few of the caps.
All of that being said, if I start getting them with the double lift I am done with them forever. As you said, additional lift charge equals less payload. No thanks.

Rick_In_Tampa
10-02-2017, 12:15 AM
I shot the hellcat cans in my finale last year and I thought they were awesome. I'll be buying them again next year for sure.