PDA

View Full Version : American Flag Set Piece

Rick_In_Tampa
09-06-2017, 02:41 AM
I've been searching for an American Flag set piece for my next show. I found one at Lynch, but it's 1.3G and I don't have a 54.

Does anyone out there know of a place to get one that's 1.4G or even 1.4 pro/AOP?

Kenny East
09-06-2017, 05:35 AM
You can build one, but i never seen one that was any other category than 1.3 after it's assembled. Lances and sticky match can be bought without a user permit.

displayfireworks1
09-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Even if Lynch sells it to you , he is in Ohio and you are in Florida. Now that you are a PGI member, a distributor may sell you lance work and sticky match. These are Articles of Pyrotechnics , not for consumer retail shelf selling. Some places accept PGI membership on Articles of Pyrotechnics. Did you watch my Lance Work 101 video , you can just make your own flag if you can access the material.

PyroJoeNEPA
09-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Al at fireartcorp.com sells both the lance and the sticky match. You can have it shipped to you but would have to pay a hazmat shipping fee. Give him a call or email and ask him about it.

Rick_In_Tampa
09-07-2017, 03:09 AM
Al at fireartcorp.com sells both the lance and the sticky match. You can have it shipped to you but would have to pay a hazmat shipping fee. Give him a call or email and ask him about it.

Thanks Joe. I'll definitely give them a shout. I've never built one of these before and I don't know the first thing about it. But I'm willing to give it a shot! Lol...

You can build one, but i never seen one that was any other category than 1.3 after it's assembled. Lances and sticky match can be bought without a user permit.

Thanks for the info Kenny. I'll do some research on the parts and see if I can figure out how to make one.

Even if Lynch sells it to you , he is in Ohio and you are in Florida. Now that you are a PGI member, a distributor may sell you lance work and sticky match. These are Articles of Pyrotechnics , not for consumer retail shelf selling. Some places accept PGI membership on Articles of Pyrotechnics. Did you watch my Lance Work 101 video , you can just make your own flag if you can access the material.

I have not watched the video Dave. Didn't know you had one on lances. (But I should have guessed that you did!) I will track it down and watch it!

That's to everyone for the responses!

displayfireworks1
09-07-2017, 08:29 AM
Here it is from 2009. It gives the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB48ndkSWNA
Here is another one from 2011, I use consumer fast fuse on the one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOLqvCynsZA

PyroJoeNEPA
09-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Just a note on the hdpe lance holders that precocious sells---all lance are not the same size diameter. We have a bunch of the holders---and they work very well--if you have the right size lance for them! The lance precocious sells [same stuff sold by FireArt] will work well. But it would be costly compared to using a 1 1/2" brad.
We have three different diameter lances--some from precocious, some from dominator, and I don't know who the third ones are from--bought at pgi [also have some mexican ones from kellners--but don't use them--reliability issue there].

What we have been doing lately is using four foot strips of 1/8" luan ripped into 2" wide strips. Mark every 4" down the middle & shoot a 1 1/2" brad in them..making "porcupine strips". Then these can be arranged [and cut as required] and screwed onto wooden lattice attached to 1" x 2" frame boards. We usually push the lance onto the brad & hit it with a spot of hot glue to help it survive transport to the shoot site.

Making a flag set piece would be easy--figure out your size, make up the strips & assemble onto a frame. Sticky match or fast fuse & you are ready to go.

Here is a picture of a big star that we did for the City of Millersburg PA Bicentennial show following the Lee Greenwood concert:
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2685&stc=1

esgrillo
09-07-2017, 12:13 PM
like I dont have enough to worry about setting up but this is interesting .....

PyroJoeNEPA
09-07-2017, 06:03 PM

Ed--if you think this is interesting---picture two tanks on opposite ends of the shoot site with roman candles where the cannon goes--shooting at each other! I saw that when I was a kid back in the '60's and always wanted to do it. Hasn't happened yet--but there is always "next year".
A 5 gallon cremora would make a great "hit" effect. Lots of possibilities, so little time [and money LOL].

Rick_In_Tampa
09-08-2017, 12:26 AM

ROFL... Exactly what I was thinking Ed. Lol...

I'm going to do my first pyro musical this year and I really really want an American flag for the finale while Ray Charles is singing America the Beautiful and mortars are exploding everywhere.

If I can't buy one, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and try and make one.

Rick_In_Tampa
09-08-2017, 12:28 AM
A 5 gallon cremora would make a great "hit" effect. Lots of possibilities, so little time [and money LOL].

Lol... That would be sooooo cool!!

displayfireworks1
09-18-2017, 09:03 PM
Here is something one of my video subscribers did for a desire to have a flag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75qrrnhHzv8&feature=youtu.be

RalphieJ
09-18-2017, 09:26 PM
That was great!!

displayfireworks1
09-20-2017, 07:21 AM
I thought it was very creative when he ask me to review it. I believe he made a few more , he may have video on his channel.

Bitzan
07-15-2020, 02:31 PM
I realize that this is from 2017 however I saw the flag on the Lynch site and I have to have one. My son (15) plays the national anthem on his electric guitar to start many of our celebrations. I need the flag as his background (OK - NEED is probably the wrong word but just in case my wife reads this...) Anyone have any luck finding / building a 1.4 oi 1.4 pro version?

Mudballs
07-15-2020, 06:53 PM
I realize that this is from 2017 however I saw the flag on the Lynch site and I have to have one. My son (15) plays the national anthem on his electric guitar to start many of our celebrations. I need the flag as his background (OK - NEED is probably the wrong word but just in case my wife reads this...) Anyone have any luck finding / building a 1.4 oi 1.4 pro version?

SO76 has a video from March of one they made with their 1.4 pro lances.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-16-2020, 06:30 AM
I've got a case of lances in my garage with a brand new nail gun and compressor!!

But that's as far as I got on my flag.... :(

I really need to get my s--t together already....