PDA

View Full Version : DR-11 Cremora Pots??

Rick_In_Tampa
08-21-2017, 11:19 AM
So in addition to adding some new Cobra mods, I'm going to pick up an Audiobox this year. I'm already working on the music and I don't see any way under the sun where I can do a pyro musical and NOT use Fuel by Metallica. In doing so, you can't use Fuel and NOT set off some cremora pots or dragon's breath during the show.

There are about three opportunities to set off these effects during this song, so my thought is to use DR-11 tubes filled with black powder and sawdust, and spread them out throughout the shoot site. I made some cremora's before using a large bean can and it worked pretty well. But I don't know how it would work using DR-11 mortar tubes or possibly even some of the fiberglass tubes you get with the boxes of shells. So I thought I'd get the opinions of my fellow pyros to see what you think.

I'm looking for an explosive effect, without setting the neighborhood on fire.

Thoughts??

PyroJoeNEPA
08-21-2017, 02:23 PM
Although I have not used anything as small in diameter as a 1.75" tube I do believe it will be too small...I do have cremoras made from 3" & 5" HDPE tubes...you can see the 3" ones here around the 55 sec mark. They work well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGZ3pWAzEek

The #10 size cans would probably be your best bet for what you want to do. They give a really nice fireball for their size.
If you decide to test out a DR-11 let us know how it works. I'm thinking there is not enough surface area [diameter] there to get a good size fireball.
Also, there are kits available to make 1.75" lampares. They are super nice. If you want the resource info, send me a PM.

displayfireworks1
08-21-2017, 10:25 PM
That is what we need PyroJoe, more daytime fireworks and one less seeded watermelon. That had to be seeded as large as it was. LOL I was expecting those salutes to be louder. Did they go as expected?

PyroJoeNEPA
08-21-2017, 11:44 PM
That is what we need PyroJoe, more daytime fireworks and one less seeded watermelon. That had to be seeded as large as it was. LOL I was expecting those salutes to be louder. Did they go as expected?
They were loud Dave--there was a shock wave rolling up the hill from them...and the three "devices" under the melon---well, 4.5lb of "pixie dust" made the three support tubes completely disappear--they were buried in the ground about 10-12" and there was nothing left but a big hole!!!
No sign of the watermelon either! You would have loved it. That was from a club event last year.

Kenny East
08-22-2017, 05:43 AM
I've seen and shot a few from dr11 tubes, never with sawdust... I usually use a 50/50 mix charcoal naphthalene mix, nice orange fire ball with a bunch of black smoke. Both ingredients are milled to air float.

For regular cremoras, i usually use a 5 gallon bucket with a metal dish in the bottom to direct the fire upwards and protect my bucket...