PDA

View Full Version : The Columbia Firework Wars

displayfireworks1
08-18-2017, 08:10 PM
Looking for respectful comments on this video. How would you channel this energy in a positive way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCSj4zOpmXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO4ppZ7TZkk&t=68s
The Firework Wars are a tradition dating back to the late-1990’s/early-2000’s in Columbia, MO. Residents take to streets to launch commercial grade fireworks at each other, engaging in battles that can last until 4 am. Most wars result in these fireworks being launched at responding police when they are called to break up the melees.

“What that means is people shooting, like, the 4-inch sky mortars that the city shoots up in the air, except they shoot them back and forth at each other,” Community Outreach Unit Sgt. Mike Hestir said describing his take on the battles.

War Footage: https://youtu.be/qO4ppZ7TZkk?list=PLb... (https://youtu.be/qO4ppZ7TZkk?list=PLboGvGz__4dEHvGbQ9-bV_w4Z45rkNuSS)

Ahmonta Harris has participated in the wars since he was young and has taken it upon himself to host, as well as govern the wars in recent years. While Ahmonta views the wars as a part of culture and tradition, he understands there are dangers and does his best to ensure the safety of those participating, as well as those who live in the areas where the war occurs.

Sgt, Hestir described the problems that surfaced during the 2016 Firework Wars, which included property damage and injuries. A house in the Bodie-Currituck section of Derby Ridge had hole blown in an exterior wall as a result of a mortar shell explosion, while another firework flew through an open window, exploding in an interior room. Another incident involved a teenager who was actively involved in the battle suffering burns that required medical attention. The responding ambulance refused to enter the neighborhood, claimed they feared for their safety.

This year the Columbia Police Department dispatched their entire Community Outreach Unit to hand out fliers detailing the laws related to fireworks and to patrol the Derby Ridge area. The officers engaged in community policing, engaging in conversations with many of the residents and passing out cards.

Some residents were unhappy that they weren’t able to shoot fireworks. Other thought the response was misguided, stating that they would rather officers investigate shootings in the area as opposed to policing kids with fireworks.

For the last three years the war has taken places in sections of the Derby Ridge neighborhood of North Columbia, but the battle wasn’t always hosted here. The engagements gained prominence in the mid-2000’s when belligerents took to the streets of Central Columbia’s public housing neighborhoods.

Turning the Blind Boone Projects into what then-CPD Captain Marvin “Moon” McCrary described as a war zone, hundreds of people launched fireworks at each other, responding police officers, and even attempted blow up a Columbia Housing Authority Security vehicle by placing lit fireworks in the car’s gas tank.

Source:
http://archive.columbiatribune.com/20... (http://archive.columbiatribune.com/2004/jul/20040708news007.asp)

Ahmonta told CFJ that many of the residents who participate in the firework wars see it as an opportunity to get back a “dirty cops” who have used excessive force against them, been rude or disrespectful towards them, or even planted evidence on their person.

Although Ahmonta says he made an effort to stop this year’s war from happening at the request of Sgt. Hestir, the seizures of fireworks that weren’t activity being fired irritated many of the teens in his neighborhood, as well as himself. The result was somewhat of a compromise between the neighborhood and the police.

The wars started much later that normal, which kept younger teen out of the fray. It was kept mostly out of residential areas and concentrated more on arterial roads that led to and from different sections of the neighborhood. These roads were lined with drainage trenches and fields, as opposed to duplexes and apartment complexes, minimizing the chance that structure could suffer damage or even catch fire.

The war ended much earlier than it had on previous years. Uniformed officers pulled up to the edge of the Bodie-Curritcuk section without lights or sirens on and approached as a group in a mostly non-confrontational manner. They told pedestrians that the war was over, and that it was time to call it quits and go home.

The most striking difference between this year’s war and previous years was the fact that, with one possible exception by a rogue belligerent, no one shot fireworks at law enforcement.

In the days following the war Ahmonta always leads a clean up of the neighborhood. Ahmonta’s rule is that if you participated in the war, then it is your responsibility to participate in the clean up.

Ahmonta says this will be his last year warring. He hopes the tradition continues, but only if those who pick up the torch continue conduct the war responsibly and clean up the neighborhood afterwards.
http://pyrotalk.com/wp-photos/wp-content/gallery/united-states-missouri/columbia-1-1bffdb6b49d51a62e009ad80ddd17535fe7e58fe.jpg
http://pyrotalk.com/wp-photos/wp-content/gallery/united-states-missouri/columbia-2-fbb9b72e6da41c7eaf28a6ab781b4525de254246.jpg

pyrophil
08-19-2017, 04:55 PM
How about donating some firing systems and they can have their 'war' by who can put on the best show. A tough sell but if the show is good enough I believe it could catch on.

And no, I am not able to donate any firing systems.

displayfireworks1
08-19-2017, 06:36 PM
At 2:45 in the first video , that one officer states that fireworks are illegal. I always thought Consumer Fireworks were legal in the state of Missouri. If I am looking at this location correctly there is a big open field next to this housing complex. The problem is the city is going to have to issue a permit. A fireworks display competition would be the way to go. Of course its on a different unorganized level but it reminds me of the annual fireworks rocket war on the Greek island of Chios. They have been trying to stop that one for years also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkI4Iqm-1Wg

Rick_In_Tampa
08-20-2017, 12:38 AM
In Greece they have those two churches that fire rockets back and forth at each other, and they give points to the side that hits the bells in the church bell tower. Maybe these folks can set up some type of competition where they shoot rockets at each other's targets or maybe they can launch those hot air baloons (the small pyro kind) and see who can shoot them down.

I'm all for keeping with tradition, but I think this one needs to be "tweaked" so it doesn't involve maiming humans.

pistolus
08-20-2017, 03:45 AM
I think the state laws in Missouri allow the use of consumer fireworks, but cities are allowed to restrict them within city limits.. Watching that second video shows highly irresponsible use of consumer fireworks that has been condemned on this forum and others. they're using those fireworks irresponsibly, and in a way they weren't designed to be used. I'd call them idiots regardless of who is doing it.. It's just plain dumb.

Kenny East
08-21-2017, 05:56 AM
That's what anarchy looks like, i would love to see them shoot displays to decide who's the best but I don't see that happening. I've seen similar stuff in some of the neighborhoods near where I live, people shooting roman candles down the street, or even cakes. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt then, everyone has to pay... Most of what i seen in the video looked like consumer fireworks, I can't imagine how crazy it would be with them throwing 3" salutes around, or larger color shells.

bohicarlp
08-21-2017, 09:03 PM
For a respectful comment on the video. The neighbor hood look kind of nice.

Mattp
08-22-2017, 06:35 AM
That is insane!!! I think that would be fuel for the fire for those who would like to see fireworks banned. Definitlely not " 4" sky mortars" though. Would be a nice transition to have a competition in the air instead. one woman in the video said at least its not guns.. true but almost just as dangerous.. looks like most of the neighborhood doesnt seem to mind it though..so i guess blast away.. maybe open up the fire hydrants, get them military helmets and fireproof suits.. or get them all paint ball guns instead.. i think in most places that would try somethimg like that.. everyone involved would be immediately arrested.. the police are actually pretty cool about it there!!

Bazerk
08-22-2017, 12:10 PM
I dont think I saw any commercial fireworks in that video. They would certainly hate it if I played, lol. I could sit 300-400 feet back and just launch the "grown boyz" shells.

Pyrojoy
08-23-2017, 03:58 PM
Going in and showing them the correct use is a start and when applying for the display permit explain to the city that its a great teaching opportunity. I put on a pyro musical for a community like the one shown and the Mayor was more than happy. I best most out there have never seen or put together an actual display one fuse or with a firing system. If someone was willing to take the time they could probably start something special where it's community competing against community with the best display. It seems that it's already a nice tight knit community because they go out the day after and actually clean up versus leaving all of the trash behind I bet if someone would show them how to put together a display approach the city and the right way and actually plan it out I think it could work. This is a perfect opportunity for a club to teach and possible get new members. They could also get a grant from the city possibly to do this.