PDA

View Full Version : Mailed Application in

Bigboomjeff
08-02-2017, 05:10 PM
Bought Dave's dvd back in June and finally got around to finishing up the app and sent it out today. I can't wait til the interview is over with!

jbt68
08-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Congratulations! Sent my application last Friday!

Bigboomjeff
08-02-2017, 07:21 PM
Keep me updated

jbt68
08-02-2017, 11:34 PM
I sure will!

Bigboomjeff
08-12-2017, 08:13 PM
I sure will!

They cashed my check last Monday, still waiting to hear from them

displayfireworks1
08-12-2017, 09:11 PM
Great news, it looks like we got 2 fireworks enthusiast advancing into the ATF license. Remember my standard advice, do not voluntarily withdraw the application if you feel you met the requirements. Update us once your interviews are done.

jbt68
08-16-2017, 01:10 PM
Great news Jeff! Still waiting to hear from them. It's only been 2 1/2 weeks so far...

Bigboomjeff
08-16-2017, 06:40 PM
Great news Jeff! Still waiting to hear from them. It's only been 2 1/2 weeks so far...

I was going to ask you if you have heard anything. I wonder how long it's going to take

PyroDre
08-17-2017, 09:54 AM
congrats

I'm waiting on dave's dvd as we speak

Bigboomjeff
08-17-2017, 06:25 PM
congrats

I'm waiting on dave's dvd as we speak

It's a great dvd, it helps you every step of the way

jbt68
08-21-2017, 10:20 AM
Jeff,
I did confirm that the ATF charged my credit card on 9 August, so things are moving along... :-)

displayfireworks1
08-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Now that you confirmed they received your payment , I usually advise applicants not to call them. Just sit back and wait. There are only somewhere around 55 ATF Fireworks License holders in the entire state of Virginia. Don't rule out there not sure what to do with your application or may be waiting for one of their more explosive experienced people to be available to handle it. Lets look at it from their perspective, its a low priority and they can take up to 90 days. Remember my standard advice , do not voluntarily withdraw the application if you feel you have met the requirements. The ATF in some of these low license holder locations still keeps trying to do that for some reason. Keep us posted.

joewad
08-21-2017, 11:24 AM
Good luck. If you light it they will come.......

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2664&stc=1

Firefighter148
08-21-2017, 12:40 PM
I turned mine in on 8/15. They have charged my card, but I haven't heard from them yet. I'll let you know when I get a call too.

Thanks Dave!

jbt68
08-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Now that you confirmed they received your payment , I usually advise applicants not to call them. Just sit back and wait. There are only somewhere around 55 ATF Fireworks License holders in the entire state of Virginia. Don't rule out there not sure what to do with your application or may be waiting for one of their more explosive experienced people to be available to handle it. Lets look at it from their perspective, its a low priority and they can take up to 90 days. Remember my standard advice , do not voluntarily withdraw the application if you feel you have met the requirements. The ATF in some of these low license holder locations still keeps trying to do that for some reason. Keep us posted.

Will do! I have lots of patience...

jbt68
08-28-2017, 05:40 PM
Update: I was contacted by my ATF investigator today. My interview is on Thursday... 😁

Bigboomjeff
08-29-2017, 03:51 PM
Update: I was contacted by my ATF investigator today. My interview is on Thursday... 😁

Awesome!! I hope to hear from them soon. Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

jbt68
08-29-2017, 07:40 PM
Awesome!! I hope to hear from them soon. Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

I certainly will! :-)

jbt68
08-31-2017, 03:49 PM
Just finished my interview with the ATF investigator. It went well and it appears I have nothing to disqualify me from getting my Type 54 permit. All there is to do now is wait for the licensing center in WV to do their thing!

displayfireworks1
08-31-2017, 08:14 PM
Good news , thanks for the update. Now let us know when you receive the license in the mail.
OK next, I need to hear from our second Virginia guy, who incidentally appeared in my recent cannon video and helped with my recent Collier Fireworks display.

jbt68
08-31-2017, 08:26 PM
Good news , thanks for the update. Now let us know when you receive the license in the mail.
OK next, I need to hear from our second Virginia guy, who incidentally appeared in my recent cannon video and helped with my recent Collier Fireworks display.

Firefighter148! Yes, he is getting a magazine approved. I need to see how close he is to me! Getting a magazine approved here in northern VA is cost-prohibitive for the insurance alone, so I need a friend a little farther south or west of the DC area!

Bigboomjeff
08-31-2017, 10:15 PM
Any tips on the interview?

jbt68
08-31-2017, 10:56 PM
It is really a training session actually. Like everyone says, the investigator went down a checklist to make sure I understand all the requirements for handling controlled explosives... acquisition, disposition, magazine inventory, etc. Even though I am not having a magazine qualified right now, since I expressed interest in one down the road he covered all of that stuff. Having read the orange book previously, I was already pretty familiar with everything he said.

I will say that my investigator knew his stuff, was familiar with the permit and what it is used for, and sounded like he really wants to help keep me on the straight and level. I am pretty sure that by the time of your interview comes along the background check is complete. That is what will disqualify you, or rather disable you to use the ATF wording. Like I said, the interview is simply to walk you through your responsibilities, answer your questions, and give you a copy of the Orange Book. I asked how long it would take for a determination. He said as long as I wasn't disqualified the permit is a "will issue" item. They can't just decide they don't like someone and not issue it. Dave has pointed that out numerous times and it was nice to hear the investigator say it.

If you have your interview it is only a matter of time until your permit is in your hands!

ProfessorPyro
08-31-2017, 11:02 PM
I heard back about 2 weeks after sending in my application and received my license 3 weeks after my interview. Seemed to go faster than expected for me, but be patient it is worth the wait.

Firefighter148
09-01-2017, 12:04 AM
Awesome to hear the news!! I'm still waiting for someone to contact me. I will definitely follow up when I have been notified.

displayfireworks1
09-01-2017, 04:56 AM
At jbt68, thanks for posting conformation on some of instructions and information I mentioned. At Firefighter148 since i know some of your situation send me an email to pyrotalk at gmail.com if any issues come up after your interview. Also check your PM's

joewad
09-01-2017, 11:33 AM
Any news yet Bigboomjeff? I to am from Indiana and it took every bit of 3 months (90 days). Agent will probably be out of Indy. Mine was quite cordial and easy to talk to. I must say I sped things up a bit because my 90 days was approaching and I was heading out for 2 weeks vacation. I contacted the regional office there in jbt86s home state of Virginia and explained situation. I was called then next day for scheduling appointment.

Bigboomjeff
09-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Nope, still haven't heard anything

Firefighter148
09-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Update, just got the call today. Have an interview next Thursday with 2 agents. Might be 2 due to the magazine. Will update after the meeting.

Bigboomjeff
09-07-2017, 07:19 PM
Update, just got the call today. Have an interview next Thursday with 2 agents. Might be 2 due to the magazine. Will update after the meeting.

Awesome! I am stillllll waiting

jbt68
09-08-2017, 12:12 PM
I had two investigators as well. My take on it is that they want to have some redundancy in case you have a question and one of them are out of the office or something. That way two investigators are familiar with you and your specific situation. I don't think the second guy I had was a trainee or anything. I was told I could contact either of them if I had any questions or changes to my status...i.e, adding an employee possessor or (hopefully) a magazine down the road.

Bigboomjeff
09-14-2017, 07:31 PM
Any news yet Bigboomjeff? I to am from Indiana and it took every bit of 3 months (90 days). Agent will probably be out of Indy. Mine was quite cordial and easy to talk to. I must say I sped things up a bit because my 90 days was approaching and I was heading out for 2 weeks vacation. I contacted the regional office there in jbt86s home state of Virginia and explained situation. I was called then next day for scheduling appointment.I'm still waiting..........

displayfireworks1
09-14-2017, 08:25 PM
How many days since the check was processed ?

jbt68
09-14-2017, 08:57 PM
Dave,
Looking at Jeff's early post, it looks like the ATF cashed his check on August 7th.

Bryan

displayfireworks1
09-14-2017, 09:04 PM
If you really think about it, they have 90 days. For them its low priority. They can interview you and process it pretty quick. My guess is once they review it locally they make a quick decision and decide its good and it can wait or they review it and see its wrong and call you. The longer wait may be in the applicants favor. I will still suggest not to call and wait.

Bigboomjeff
09-15-2017, 09:24 AM
If you really think about it, they have 90 days. For them its low priority. They can interview you and process it pretty quick. My guess is once they review it locally they make a quick decision and decide its good and it can wait or they review it and see its wrong and call you. The longer wait may be in the applicants favor. I will still suggest not to call and wait.
Thanks Dave!
I'm just getting ancy seeing all these people who sent out their apps when i did and they already had the interview. I will not call

Firefighter148
09-15-2017, 09:50 AM
I had my interview yesterday with 2 guys. One was new with the explosives side of ATF, so he had a partner come with him, and I'm glad he did. He thought I had to do some more modifications to my box, and the other guy told him it was ok. So we went over keeping records for magazines and he asked for a letter from the Fire Dept stating that they are aware of the magazine. Once I get that turned in, I should get my license within 30 days.

jbt68
09-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Thanks Dave!
I'm just getting ancy seeing all these people who sent out their apps when i did and they already had the interview. I will not call

Jeff, I will just say this. My investigator told me to give Sandy (I believe that is her name at the licensing center in WV) four weeks. If I didn't have my permit in-hand by then, he told me to call her up and mention his name. I know you are still waiting to have your interview, but this is food for thought once you get through the interview! I am only 37 days in since they charged my CC, so it's not panic time for me. That being said, I have a Crackerjacks shoot coming up in three weeks. I would really like to have some 1.3 product there for that!

displayfireworks1
09-15-2017, 11:27 PM
If you do not get the physical license in three weeks you may still be able to buy product for your shoot. A license number is actually issued even before your interview is what I discovered. This is why they try that withdraw the application BS. If you need to buy fireworks before you physically receive the license. Call them and get that number and tell them where you want to purchase and I betting they can accommodate that. Or get that number and have the distributor call them to verify. Because of my ATF appeal a few months back we now know the distributor do not have a master list of license holders, so a simple phone call should do it. You are technically already licensed. Like everything else I keep saying, its the opposite of what was thought to be true. Call and get your license number if you need it , they have it.

Bigboomjeff
09-18-2017, 12:47 PM
If you do not get the physical license in three weeks you may still be able to buy product for your shoot. A license number is actually issued even before your interview is what I discovered. This is why they try that withdraw the application BS. If you need to buy fireworks before you physically receive the license. Call them and get that number and tell them where you want to purchase and I betting they can accommodate that. Or get that number and have the distributor call them to verify. Because of my ATF appeal a few months back we now know the distributor do not have a master list of license holders, so a simple phone call should do it. You are technically already licensed. Like everything else I keep saying, its the opposite of what was thought to be true. Call and get your license number if you need it , they have it.ATF just called my interview is set for wednesday at 330

jbt68
09-18-2017, 02:36 PM
ATF just called my interview is set for wednesday at 330

Awesome! :-)

displayfireworks1
09-19-2017, 09:44 AM
At BigboomJeff. Ask the inspectors for your ATF license number at the END of your interview if you need to make that purchase before you receive the physical copy of your license. Tell them you have a purchase you need to make. They should be able to accommodate that. A license number should have already been assigned to you, they should have it with them.

Bigboomjeff
09-20-2017, 04:04 PM
At BigboomJeff. Ask the inspectors for your ATF license number at the END of your interview if you need to make that purchase before you receive the physical copy of your license. Tell them you have a purchase you need to make. They should be able to accommodate that. A license number should have already been assigned to you, they should have it with them.Just had my interview and I should get my license in 3-4 weeks. Thanks Dave for the very informative dvd that helped me easily through this process. I didn't ask him for my license number because I won't be making purchases any time soon.

chriskrc
09-20-2017, 04:42 PM
Awesome awesome awesome.

jbt68
09-29-2017, 08:07 PM
I called Sandy at the licensing center this afternoon... following my investigator's advice. I waited four weeks to call. My permit was issued and mailed yesterday! I will get it early next week!

displayfireworks1
09-30-2017, 08:49 PM
Sounds good so far. Let us know when you get the hard copy in the mail. I have a few things going on in some of the states south of Pennsylvania, all of this information is helpful to me. Can you tell me which ATF office location handled your application? If you do not feel comfortable posting it, just PM me. When you called the licensing center, that was in West Virginia correct? As we are learning over the years , the ATF Explosive licensing process, is not this high tech smooth process. Sometimes it is taking longer than we expect. This is why I tell applicants not to expect an immediate response. I am also looking for an applicant that received an official written denial. I can not find one. In most instances of potential denial, they are persuading the applicant to withdraw the application, as opposed to issuing an official written denial. From feedback I am receiving, 100 % of applicants that refuse to sign to withdraw, receive the license. This is why I direct applicants not to voluntarily withdraw the application if you feel you are meeting the requirements. If you voluntarily withdraw the application or they officially deny you ( I have not seen one yet) you will get a refund. If you get a refund on either of those options it will take 3 to 5 moths to receive it. If you hear something like, "Hey sign this and will get you a refund" now anyone reading this will know how all of this works. Don't let anyone bluff you.

jbt68
10-01-2017, 03:51 PM
Sounds good so far. Let us know when you get the hard copy in the mail. I have a few things going on in some of the states south of Pennsylvania, all of this information is helpful to me. Can you tell me which ATF office location handled your application? If you do not feel comfortable posting it, just PM me. When you called the licensing center, that was in West Virginia correct? As we are learning over the years , the ATF Explosive licensing process, is not this high tech smooth process. Sometimes it is taking longer than we expect. This is why I tell applicants not to expect an immediate response. I am also looking for an applicant that received an official written denial. I can not find one. In most instances of potential denial, they are persuading the applicant to withdraw the application, as opposed to issuing an official written denial. From feedback I am receiving, 100 % of applicants that refuse to sign to withdraw, receive the license. This is why I direct applicants not to voluntarily withdraw the application if you feel you are meeting the requirements. If you voluntarily withdraw the application or they officially deny you ( I have not seen one yet) you will get a refund. If you get a refund on either of those options it will take 3 to 5 moths to receive it. If you hear something like, "Hey sign this and will get you a refund" now anyone reading this will know how all of this works. Don't let anyone bluff you.

Dave,
I have no problem posting. This is useful for everyone. My investigators were out of the Falls Church, VA office. Yes, I called the licensing center in WV. I believe all the licenses Nationwide are issued from there regardless of and separate from the local investigator locations. My investigator had told me to tell Sandy that he told me to call if she had a problem with me calling. I never even got a chance to drop his name. Sandy was as cordial as you could ever expect. She put me on hold for about five seconds and then let me know my permit was on the way.

Will we see you at the Crackerjacks event this weekend? ��

Bryan

jbt68
10-04-2017, 05:17 PM
And the beat continues...
Got my license in the mail today! Add another in Virginia Dave... :-)

PyroDre
10-04-2017, 05:35 PM
And the beat continues...
Got my license in the mail today! Add another in Virginia Dave... :-)

congrats!!!!

displayfireworks1
10-04-2017, 08:53 PM
Congratulations to jbt68 in Virginia. I am no longer a member of the Crackerjacks but I hope you have good time at the event.

Bigboomjeff
10-06-2017, 05:58 PM
Got my license in the mail today

displayfireworks1
10-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Good news , add another ATF license to the state of Indiana. Check you PM I answered your question.

Bigboomjeff
10-13-2017, 06:55 PM
I'm in Ohio Dave lol. So mark another in Ohio

displayfireworks1
10-13-2017, 09:01 PM
Sorry Ohio, the state they claimed would not issue new ATF Fireworks license because of the moratorium on new explosive storage , the state they claimed you could not get an ATF Fireworks license without first obtaining a State of Ohio Exhibitors license. Yes, adding another one to Ohio. Do you live close to the border in Ohio/Indiana ? Your IP may be registering Indiana . Can you change the location to Ohio in your profile.

Bigboomjeff
10-14-2017, 08:36 AM
I live about 45 minutes from the border. Here's a interesting article for us in Ohio https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/ohio/articles/2017-10-12/ohio-house-approves-legalization-of-fireworks?src=usn_fb

PYRODAD1236
10-15-2017, 01:36 PM
Congrats !!!

djsmurf
10-17-2017, 11:32 PM
Congrats Jeff! Welcome to the club!

Daniel
10-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Congrats Jeff.

Firefighter148
10-24-2017, 04:22 PM
I received my license in the mail yesterday.

displayfireworks1
10-24-2017, 06:24 PM
Ok Firefighter148 in Virginia , first off congratulations. Secondly, you need to email me and bring me up to speed because I consulted with you on a few roadblocks and need updated for future reference. I'm working on a very similar issue in another state. You getting that license in Virginia is great news. Get that email to me for review please before you post any details.

jbt68
10-25-2017, 11:40 AM
I received my license in the mail yesterday.

Awesome Jeff! Add another to the VA tally!

Daniel
11-02-2017, 11:07 AM
Well it has been 37 days sense BATFE charged my card for the licensing fee. Got a phone call today. The appointment is now set up for Monday @ 10 am November 6th.
I will see what they have to say then.
They said that it should only be 1 hour for the interview. Is that normal?

displayfireworks1
11-02-2017, 06:23 PM
No the norm is more than one hour for the first time. The good news is that they took 37 days. I suspect when they receive an initial application they give it the once over. If it initially looks like it has all of the elements, they let it sit and just eventually get to it. That is not a guarantee of course. Remember while we are anxious to receive the license, to them it is a low priority in the scheme of things that they do. Relax and wait until Monday , let them educate you and don't ask a bunch of questions that do not pertain to the Federal level and having the license. Keep us posted how it went. My count in 2012 Nebraska has at least 94 ATF Fireworks license. The Inspectors should be pretty good at this and accustomed to seeing advanced users of display fireworks. Which will soon be you in that category.

Daniel
11-03-2017, 01:59 AM
Thanks Dave,
Just having a good case of nerves. I don't do well with interviews. So I guess I need to just chill out relax and enjoy the ride till Monday. :)