PDA

View Full Version : Magazine storage in Illinois

cherrybomb1
07-31-2017, 10:07 PM
I have Dave's video for obtaining my 54 license.Before I move forward I was looking into illinois law for magazine storage.It seems they have there own little orange book.I have the distances,but some of the other requirements seem outrageous. Anywear from 5/8 in steel to 3/16 on the outside.The thickness on the out side determines the thickness of the wood on the inside.Anybody ever try to put up a 4x8 x5/8 in thick of plate steel.Let alone the cost.
If anyone from the state of Illinois has there own magazine maybe you could give me some insight on this!.Thanks Go Cubbies!

displayfireworks1
08-01-2017, 07:08 AM
Check with the ATF, using a small shipping container, it sounds like you have the distance. Maybe someone else in the state of Illinois can comment. From what I am hearing these shipping containers are pretty much accepted throughout the country. Do you have a shed on the property? You can look into the indoor type magazine.

cherrybomb1
08-01-2017, 07:52 AM
The Illinois Dept of Natural Resources has there own regulations on this.From what I've read if I'm interpreting it right you need the same distance for a indoor mag 150ft.But your limited to 50lbs.I might as well go with the type 2 outdoor but the requirements seem pretty strict.Any help from someone in Illinois with one would be appreciated.

Bazerk
08-01-2017, 11:38 AM
I have Dave's video for obtaining my 54 license.Before I move forward I was looking into illinois law for magazine storage.It seems they have there own little orange book.I have the distances,but some of the other requirements seem outrageous. Anywear from 5/8 in steel to 3/16 on the outside.The thickness on the out side determines the thickness of the wood on the inside.Anybody ever try to put up a 4x8 x5/8 in thick of plate steel.Let alone the cost.
If anyone from the state of Illinois has there own magazine maybe you could give me some insight on this!.Thanks Go Cubbies!

This cant be accurate. The purpose of the metal siding is to keep fire out not to contain a blast so 5/8in steel would become a lethal piece of shrapnel should the magazine detonate.. You need a type 4 magazine so make sure youre looking at the right section of the book as well.

aerialpyro
08-01-2017, 12:49 PM
This cant be accurate. The purpose of the metal siding is to keep fire out not to contain a blast so 5/8in steel would become a lethal piece of shrapnel should the magazine detonate.. You need a type 4 magazine so make sure you're looking at the right section of the book as well.

What type of magazine are you looking in to? Those numbers sound more like a type 1 or 2 high explosive magazine that needs to be bullet resistant. Assuming the state isn't trying to reclassify things, you need a type 4 magazine for fireworks as they are classified as a low explosive.

displayfireworks1
08-01-2017, 12:55 PM
There is both old and conflicting information on the internet about explosive storage in the state of Illinois. I saw one part where the state does recognize the standards as set forth by the ATF. Most states are using the ATF magazine standards as far as I am hearing. I am getting reports of the state people bringing the Orange Book with them during the inspection. I usually don't like to tell people to call the authorities , but before I would proceed I would say to call the ATF and not the state. The ATF will be issuing the license. In this situation the state is just getting in the way. I would make it a simple question asking does the State of Illinois accept the ATF build standard for display fireworks magazine. Don't get more specific other than the build standard. Be sure to talk to an Inspector if and when you call and not just anyone answer the phone. Ask for an ATF Explosive Inspector.
The easier route for initial licensure is to go the contingency route. Then build the magazine. I'm getting reports of the ATF in northern Illinois trying that old withdraw the application trick. One guy that purchased my package told me. he was ready for them and refused. He now has his license. So be ready if they try that on you.

countryboy7978
08-01-2017, 02:17 PM
There is both old and conflicting information on the internet about explosive storage in the state of Illinois. I saw one part where the state does recognize the standards as set forth by the ATF. Most states are using the ATF magazine standards as far as I am hearing. I am getting reports of the state people bringing the Orange Book with them during the inspection. I usually don't like to tell people to call the authorities , but before I would proceed I would say to call the ATF and not the state. The ATF will be issuing the license. In this situation the state is just getting in the way. I would make it a simple question asking does the State of Illinois accept the ATF build standard for display fireworks magazine. Don't get more specific other than the build standard. Be sure to talk to an Inspector if and when you call and not just anyone answer the phone. Ask for an ATF Explosive Inspector.
The easier route for initial licensure is to go the contingency route. Then build the magazine. I'm getting reports of the ATF in northern Illinois trying that old withdraw the application trick. One guy that purchased my package told me. he was ready for them and refused. He now has his license. So be ready if they try that on you.

I'm from northern IL and i can tell you that there are conflicts between ATF and the state DNR. I have had less than a positive experience during a routine inspection even though I knew I was right about a certain aspect of law. It took several phone calls and emails to clear it up. Make sure you get things in writing because there are certainly variances in the way regulations are interpreted and localities in IL due to home-rule laws, have significant power to impose restrictions and sanctions.

displayfireworks1
08-01-2017, 02:50 PM
This person I am referencing in Illinois told me , the ATF did just like I said in the video. He responded back he was not going to withdraw the application because of not having a state certification and told them that is not a reason for denial. They then told him he can count on them making random checks on him over the next year. I told him they don't have time for that, he should be fine. They were mad they had to issue him a license. Two Inspectors came to do his interview. I'm getting new customers for those cheap ass 1.3 companies in Illinois and Wisconsin that do not want to sign up for my website. I guess the real benefit is they are at least cooperating with new license applications.

cherrybomb1
08-02-2017, 07:31 AM
62 ill.adm.code.Section 200.5004 Type 4 Magazine.A type 4 magazine shall be a permanent ,portable or mobile structure such as a building,igloo,box,semi-trailer or other mobile containers that is fire resistant and ventilated,except that over-the-road trucks or semi-trailers used for temporary storage need not be ventilated or fire resistant.a)Type 4 outdoor magazine,A Type 4 outdoor magazine shall be constructed of masonry,wood covered with metal,fabricated metal or a combination of these materials.Inside walls shall be constructed of non-sparking materials.The door shall be metal or wood covered with metal.The requirements of Section 200.501 (e) (f) and (h) pertaining to foundations,floors,hinges,hardware and locks shall apply to permanent Type 4 outdoor magazines.Section 200.501(e)Foundation.The foundation may be of masonry,wood or metal and shall be completely enclosed except for openings to provide cross-ventilation.A wooden foundation enclosure shall be covered on the exterior with a fire-resistant material.(f)Floor.The floor may be constructed of wood or other suitable materials.Floors constructed of materials that may cause sparks shall be covered with a surface of non-sparking materials or the packages of explosive materials shall be placed on pallets of non-sparking material.(h)Locks.Each door shall be equipped with two mortise locks;or with two padlocks fastened in separate hasps and staple;or with a combination of a mortice lock and a padlock;or with a three point lock,or equivalent type lock that secures a door to the frame at more than one point.Padlocks shall be steel having at least five tumblers and at least 3/8 inch diameter case-hardened shackle.All padlocks shall be protected by 1/4 inch tell hoods that are installed in such a manner as to discourage insertion of bolt cutters,saws,files or levering devices.Doors that are secured by at least two substantial internal bolts or bars do not require additional locking devices.Hinges and hasps shall be of substantial theft-resistant construction and all locking hardware shall be rigidly secured and fastened by welding or through bolts that cannot be removed when the door is locked.Sounds like i need a 20x8 shipping container!

ras1986
08-05-2017, 03:51 PM
A job box would be suffice for an indoor magazine if you have the separate structure.. bazerk built his outdoor and it looks like a tool shed. I built mine out of aluminum. There are lots of ways to do it just make sure it meets requirements. My magazine is Mostly 12 and 10 gauge aluminum diamond plate

vegassalute
08-05-2017, 04:52 PM
State vs. federal, go figure. Nothing like bullshit & time-wasting bureaucracy to slow down progress.

cherrybomb1
08-07-2017, 02:48 AM
A job box would be suffice for an indoor magazine if you have the separate structure.. bazerk built his outdoor and it looks like a tool shed. I built mine out of aluminum. There are lots of ways to do it just make sure it meets requirements. My magazine is Mostly 12 and 10 gauge aluminum diamond plate

I have a very large building but i don't have the required distance with it.I could fit a large type 4 in there but Illinois code says your still limited to 50lbs and it has to be on casters.Unless I'm reading something wrong.I guess your supposed to wheel it out in case of a fire.Or to make it easier for someone to steal it!