PDA

View Full Version : 2 random thoughts.

liame
07-22-2017, 10:24 PM
as the title says i just thought of 2 random thoughts/questions.

1) has anyone ever done just a 1.4 shell and effect (comets, slice, sweep, etc.) show? is so did it work better than cakes?
2) after seeing a shoot trailer for sale, and remembering someone suggesting backing a trailer into my flooded shoot area, does anyone think that a floating shoot trailer could be made?

yea i know they are random thought's and questions. its just the way my brain works things just pop into it and make me go hmmmmm

NorthernKYPyro
07-22-2017, 11:27 PM
This is what I typically do on the night of the 4th, just light a couple dozen shells off in about 5-10 minutes.

jamisonlm3
07-23-2017, 01:12 AM
A floating shoot trailer? Just how flooded is your shoot site?

Rick_In_Tampa
07-23-2017, 02:20 AM
Speaking of random thoughts... My thought is, if you need a boat and a fishing license to get to your shoot site, you might want to consider looking for a new shoot site.

liame
07-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Speaking of random thoughts... My thought is, if you need a boat and a fishing license to get to your shoot site, you might want to consider looking for a new shoot site.

A floating shoot trailer? Just how flooded is your shoot site?

the water was up about 3 ft for this years 4th backing a trailer in would have worked

vegassalute
07-23-2017, 12:00 PM
I would think there's no reason why designing and building a floating shoot trailer wouldn't be possible. It would simply be a barge on wheels, a good idea actually. It would save a ton of time for lake/river shows. On your other question, yes, I've done countless 1.4 shell or can-only shows. I liked the results but then again, I turn into a 10 year old boy when it comes to pyro and I can be amused by a single wire sparkler or morning glory burning. :) I'd like to hear what others think and/or have done.

Peter

hawkeye0323
07-23-2017, 12:33 PM

When I was reading this I was waiting to see.... You might be a redneck.

I would get a few plastic drums and make something light and modular. I would maybe make an unistrut frame and have some thick plywood that could slide into the u of the strut.

joed2323
07-23-2017, 02:29 PM
Using the boat or floating platform. You can only shoot from one location, unless you are going to make several of these?

I kicked around the idea of doing just shells, but after thinking it over and listening to many other people, it would turn out to be quiet boring, especially using only 1.4 shells.

The cakes add so much to a show. Their is such a wide variety. You need that lower level action that cakes provide, never going to achieve that effect with shells

Now on the other hand, going strictly cake only, this is possible and can easily be done. Cake only shows are the way to go... Two years ago i used only cakes and it worked awesome.

Don't ever exclude cakes, that's just my opinion...

jamisonlm3
07-23-2017, 03:08 PM
the water was up about 3 ft for this years 4th backing a trailer in would have worked How deep is the water you'll be shooting from? How much space do you need? Honestly, instead of trying to float a trailer, I'd try and make a lightweight floating dock of sorts. This wouldn't be one you'd walk on of course, but it would serve as a shooting platform. If you're shooting from open water, you could haul it out and ancor in place. A quick one would be 1 or 2 sheets of 3/4" playwood glued and screwed together for the deck and 3 or 4 of these (https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Made-Products-46116-Height/dp/B000MTVUEO/ref=sr_1_1?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1500835369&sr=8-1&keywords=floating%2Bdock&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&th=1&psc=1) for the floatation. I'm amazed Amazon sells those, but they're sold elsewhere so look around.

MtnViewPyro
07-24-2017, 05:09 AM
[QUOTE=liame;48030]

1) has anyone ever done just a 1.4 shell and effect (comets, slice, sweep, etc.) show? is so did it work better than cakes?

I just can't imagine all shells would beat a combo of cakes, shells, and effects. I've looked at about every 1.4 shell this past year before buying and I have to say, there is not a very large variety of difference. Especially when you get into can shells. However, just looking at all the cakes on just 76fireworks you can spend countless hours matching effects to colors etc. If the show was going to be just for a special occasion like a graduation then I would say yeah all shells and effects would be ok and would be pretty cool. However, your big shows like the 4th, I would think your crowd and yourself would not be as happy or amazed then they would be with all the bells and whistles a show would offer with cakes, shells, and effects.

chriskrc
07-24-2017, 06:58 AM
I'm not sure I would do an all shell show either like mtnviewpyro said effect wise cakes take for sure. Now as for spacing I can understand an all shell show but I would add cakes.