PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Manassas, Virginia!

jbt68
07-17-2017, 10:08 PM
Hello,
This is my inaugural post in the forum! I am here probably for the same reason many people end up joining pyrotechnic forums. After having our annual neighborhood fireworks show shut down by the local fire marshal, my neighbors and I have decided to go legit. We have always operated our shows as safely as possible and I believe the on-site precautions we had in place kept any of us from being fined or carted off. After beginning some research to find out what it would take to get a permit, Dave's YouTube channel and website were some of the early sites I stumbled on. My primary interest in the short-term is to simply enjoy assembling and firing shows for the family. However, we I am already thinking ahead about running displays for the public. I must say that considering all the legal and regulatory hurdles that lay before us is pretty daunting. I am thankful there are resources like this and helpful people out there to help us newbies find our way. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Cracker Jacks fireworks club is having a shoot just an hour away. I will most definitely be looking into becoming a member, along with my pyrotechnic partners in the very near future! Part 54 ATF licensing, CDL license with Hazmat, insurance, permitting...it's a lot to consider! If there is anyone in my neck of the woods that can help get us up to speed on Virginia laws and is willing to point us in the right direction, we are certainly willing to listen. First and foremost we want to operate safely and legally.

I look forward to meeting some of the forum members at some point in the future!

Sincerely,
Bryan

PyroManiacs
07-17-2017, 10:59 PM
Welcome to PyroTalk! Im sure someone will chime in with info for your state.

Pyro Paul
07-17-2017, 11:27 PM
Welcome aboard, sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Have you looked at Dave's dvd package for getting your type 54 license?

jbt68
07-17-2017, 11:49 PM
Paul,
I ordered it this morning in fact!

Bryan

chriskrc
07-18-2017, 06:51 AM
Welcome to the forum and great to meet you. I thought Virginia went full 1.4 or am wrong.

jknepp1954
07-18-2017, 07:02 AM
Welcome jbt68 to this forum. As i was reading your post i thought "Awe this guy really needs to join the Cracker Jacks" - so yes hope to see you in October at their shoot!

Chris - no VA did NOT go full 1.4 - still S&S state.

hillbilly
07-18-2017, 11:26 AM
wv has all 1.4

chriskrc
07-18-2017, 12:02 PM
wv has all 1.4

Ahhh that's right got the two confused.

jbt68
07-18-2017, 12:17 PM
I certainly WISH that VA would go all 1.4! But then I might never have pursued 1.3. I am definitely looking forward to talking to someone knowledgeable about Virginia law. I do have one general question though. Is it generally legal for an ATF licensee to bring 1.4 fireworks into a state like VA? What about personal use of the commercial grade stuff? Is a permit still required for 1.4?

Bryan

adultuser
07-20-2017, 02:49 PM
Welcome to the forum!!

jbt68
07-20-2017, 02:53 PM
Thank you for all the greetings. I am looking forward to getting things going!

PYRODAN
07-20-2017, 04:16 PM
Greetings and salutations! Good luck in your endeavors!