PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Guys Do It.

PGHBoom
07-17-2017, 12:57 PM
Now that I got your attention, I have been watching many of your July 4th videos and I have to say I am impressed. I am also envious because a month before the 4th I lost my shot site due to a falling out with some neighbor friends. They have close connections with the local police force who turned a blind eye. I notice that many of you shot in private yards/fields while others shot in what seems to be public areas (playgrounds or empty lots in residential areas). I was wondering if you have the blessing from the community (permit) or the community leaders approved your shot because if benefits the whole community? If so does the community chip in to the cost? I have put on a few 10 minute shows in the past and would like to approach the community leaders about putting on a larger show (15 minutes +) and just need some help/info about what to expect.

PYRODAN
07-17-2017, 05:28 PM
I shoot on private property, in a rural area. I am in Ohio so there is no reasonable way to shoot legally. The cost is shared by myself and the property owner. (although this year another friend chipped in 1K) We have 2 deputies out patrolling for the whole county. And on the 4th they are busy catching drunks. (I know, I listen on my scanner) Most of the neighbors are there or watching from their place. The fire marshals office and state assembly here are higher than nuts on a giraffe. And I know a lot of them due to my job. The thousand dollar fine I am not worried about. I spent 8 years paying for everyone's freedom. If I need to, I guess I can pay a little more for mine.

liame
07-17-2017, 07:51 PM
i cant say much, i shoot from my own property, fireworks are legal here in NH, and depending on the year or whats going on in town i normally can spot a cruiser parked on the road on the side of the lake watching my show.

kingsixx
07-17-2017, 08:58 PM
I shoot from my backyard. Where I live the houses are spaced far enough apart where I can shoot without having too worry too much about stuff landing on the neighbors property.

I'm also pretty good about letting them know when I'm going to shoot since a few of them have dogs and I'd hate for them to be spooked by the noise and run off.

I think your best bet is to perhaps try to mend whatever issue it is you have with your neighbor friends. If that isn't possible then try talking to other members of the community and to sort of get a feel for things. And if a permit is required wherever your live then apply for one if you're going to be using town property.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-17-2017, 11:14 PM
I shoot in a retention pond that is 4 houses down from my house. Fireworks are illegal in Florida but the law is simply not enforced. I've been here 20 years and I've never heard of anyone ever being arrested. There's a fireworks tent on every street corner for every major holiday. My neighbors don't contribute squat, but many of them show up to watch. I think they appreciate the show, and they especially like the fact that it's free to them.

I actually sent an e-mail to one of our HOA board members this morning asking him if the board would be interested in sponsoring a show next year. I'd like them to help pay for the fireworks if I can. I'll let you know what they say.

Pyro Paul
07-17-2017, 11:22 PM
I shoot in a retention pond that is 4 houses down from my house. Fireworks are illegal in Florida but the law is simply not enforced. I've been here 20 years and I've never heard of anyone ever being arrested. There's a fireworks tent on every street corner for every major holiday. My neighbors don't contribute squat, but many of them show up to watch. I think they appreciate the show, and they especially like the fact that it's free to them.

I actually sent an e-mail to one of our HOA board members this morning asking him if the board would be interested in sponsoring a show next year. I'd like them to help pay for the fireworks if I can. I'll let you know what they say.

Do you sign the paper stating you are using them to scare away the birds?

MtnViewPyro
07-17-2017, 11:30 PM
I'm rather new and learning so I have no info on putting on a show for a community. However, I have been putting on shows for my family/neighbors for many years. I live in a small town, approximately 3,000 population. My shoot site is a family owned 20 acre lot but within the city limits. Every year I obtain the proper permit from my local police department (believe I'm the only one in town that does). However, this is smart especially during dry years. If it's very dry, my town bans the shooting of fireworks in city limits except for those with a permit. If you have a permit and it's dry, you can contact the fire department and they are more than happy to send someone for safety.

The permit itself provides a timeframe your approved to set off the fireworks and on what day. It lists your responsibilities as property owner and so on. It also provides safety instructions and what to do in case of accidents. Probably a normal permit.

I take a few additional steps beyond the permit to ensure everyone is happy. I have (depending on the year) roughly 20 neighbors that are within visibility of the shoot site. Every year I send them a letter in the mail letting them know the day and time I will be shooting off my fireworks, I ensure them that I have a permit to do so. So far, every year they all are on their porch or deck with their families to watch. I always make sure nobody can enter my site the day of the shoot. One year some tool drove inside our private drive a few minutes before we started. So I lock all gates and ensure all driveways are blocked on the property the day before.

All in all, taking some of these steps have made everyone happy and my fireworks experience a great one year after year. After my show this year, several neighbors have either wanted to go in on buying with me for their church or have offered help in some way. I think if your community has no show, they would be interested in someway.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-17-2017, 11:32 PM
Do you sign the paper stating you are using them to scare away the birds?

I order my stuff from wholesalers so I don't even see that form. To the best of my knowledge, the vendors don't even use the form anymore. I don't think the cops actually believe we have a huge bird problem that only manifests itself at sundown on July 4th every year.

Icooclast
07-18-2017, 03:00 PM
well, when i had fireworks i lit them off in the bowling alley parking lot here in my home town in Ohio. the police here never say anything until they get too many complaints. then they come and tell ya to save them for another day. they are generally pretty cool about it, as long as you are too and you're not doing stupid stuff.

but the last time i had fireworks we went out to one of my friends' parents house in the middle of nowhere and what few neighbors they had joined us, so there was no one to call the police and complain. not to mention that they live so far out in the boonies that they burn their garbage since there is no garbage truck that goes there.

so, on top of fireworks we had a nice bon fire too (away from the fireworks of course, lol)

i guess it depends on where you live as to what you do. i know residents in PA can get a permit, not sure how. and obviously places like California and places like that won't allow fireworks because of the wild fire risks. so, every once and a while i think about how lucky i am to have police so understanding.

Pyro Paul
07-18-2017, 11:00 PM
I order my stuff from wholesalers so I don't even see that form. To the best of my knowledge, the vendors don't even use the form anymore. I don't think the cops actually believe we have a huge bird problem that only manifests itself at sundown on July 4th every year.

If you had said yes I was going to invite you to go snipe hunting :P

Rick_In_Tampa
07-19-2017, 12:17 AM
If you had said yes I was going to invite you to go snipe hunting :P

Yeah I might not be the sharpest tack in the box, but I'm not a marble either.

bani
07-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Now that I got your attention, I have been watching many of your July 4th videos and I have to say I am impressed. I am also envious because a month before the 4th I lost my shot site due to a falling out with some neighbor friends. They have close connections with the local police force who turned a blind eye. I notice that many of you shot in private yards/fields while others shot in what seems to be public areas (playgrounds or empty lots in residential areas). I was wondering if you have the blessing from the community (permit) or the community leaders approved your shot because if benefits the whole community? If so does the community chip in to the cost? I have put on a few 10 minute shows in the past and would like to approach the community leaders about putting on a larger show (15 minutes +) and just need some help/info about what to expect.

it's 100% legal where I shoot, unincorporated snohomish county in WA just outside of monroe.

PyroManiacs
07-19-2017, 05:02 PM
... but I'm not a marble either.

Ha, thats funny. Never heard that ending before.

South Carolina Mike
07-19-2017, 05:10 PM
I have 18 acres in rural upstate SC and it was my first 4th show with my new Cobra firing system. After tons of studying, watching Dave's videos and some serious testing, I was confident that I could put on one heck of a 30 minute show so I invited everyone! Here's the sign!http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2523&stc=1

displayfireworks1
07-19-2017, 06:57 PM
This is one of my goals is to inspire fireworks enthusiast to advance further into pyrotechnics. i want to inspire confidence. Don't let little failures stop you. If you watch my videos you see my ups and downs all the time. I want everyone to keep pushing forward. Great sign, keep posting those pictures.

MontanaMike
07-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Our show has been held for years in the back yards of two people (one of whom is the mother of my show partner). There is a cemetery across the street from the yards with a wide boulevard outside of it. For years we wanted to move our show over there so it'd be farther away from the audience, but always figured the answer would be "no" due to it being a cemetery and all. But having the fireworks in the yards are really closer than we like....so, since we've gone to a bigger, electronic-fired show, this year we asked the cemetery people if it'd be OK to locate our show on the boulevard, and they said OK! So our show was really pretty ideal this year from the audience standpoint.

Now if we could just get the timing right on everything we'd be good to go. Moving to initiators next year to help with that.

PYRODAN
07-20-2017, 04:33 PM
LOL Fireworks in a cemetery! Now that is original! At least no complaints......

kingsixx
07-20-2017, 06:40 PM
LOL Fireworks in a cemetery! Now that is original! At least no complaints......

Not like you're gonna be waking up the "neighbors" there hahaha

Icooclast
07-24-2017, 01:56 AM
Not like you're gonna be waking up the "neighbors" there hahaha

at least you better hope not. lol