PDA

View Full Version : Type 54 Questions

BMoore
07-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Hi All. This is my first post. I'm a KY resident considering going for my Type 54. I currently only shoot one backyard 1.4 show per year using about $2K in product. I feel I've pretty well maxed out what I can do with 1.4 and would like to supplement with some "baby B's," Thunderkings, etc. Debating whether or not it's worth it to get my type 54, or is it more trouble than it's worth in my situation for a once a year thing? Any advice from other KY residents?

My second question is on contingency storage. I'm 50+ miles from potential contingency storage. My understanding is that if you have to return product it has to be same day. Does that mean within 24 hours or within the same calendar day? So, let's say I have to cancel a shoot at 10:00p.m. and tear everything down. Do I have to have the product back in storage by midnight that night? What if you get caught in traffic? What if the magazine owner is not available to let you in? Also with pick up, is it possible to pick up product on say a Friday night for a Saturday set up/shoot or do you literally need to make the round trip after midnight on the day of the shoot?

ProfessorPyro
07-12-2017, 01:20 AM
It's up to you if you want to go through all the paper work and proper formality to follow the laws. I will say that having a license will open up the doors to countless opportunities.

displayfireworks1
07-12-2017, 05:08 AM
What if a sudden storm causes a road to be closed and a telephone poles falls. LOL You have a lot of what ifs in there. This ATF license may or may not be for everyone. You have a close understanding of the procedure but you also have some gaps.. My ATF/DVD explains the process and includes the applications , fingerprint cards etc. You should considering purchasing it. If you are 50 miles from contingency you should not have a problem. Except: What if the car runs out of gas or breaks down etc: LOL

BMoore
07-12-2017, 08:20 AM
What if a sudden storm causes a road to be closed and a telephone poles falls. LOL You have a lot of what ifs in there. This ATF license may or may not be for everyone. You have a close understanding of the procedure but you also have some gaps.. My ATF/DVD explains the process and includes the applications , fingerprint cards etc. You should considering purchasing it. If you are 50 miles from contingency you should not have a problem. Except: What if the car runs out of gas or breaks down etc: LOL

Ha Ha. Yes, I'm sure I'm overthinking it and in all reality I know I'd be shooting rain or shine anyway. Having said that, I'm still curious about the required timeline for contingency storage. I've never seen that discussed. I've only seen it as "pick up product same day as you shoot it" and "return unused product same day of shoot." How do we interpret that? Is it:

1) Pick up after 12:00a.m. and return before 12:00a.m. next day
2) Pick up and return within a 24 hour period
3) Within a reasonable amount of time