PDA

View Full Version : Mortar Tubes Expanding?

FBpyro
07-11-2017, 10:49 AM
I came across this observation when I un-boxed my new set of Excalibur shell mortars this year, I swapped out the old ones I had on my poor man rack with the new ones from this year and noticed the old tubes are around a full 1 inch longer than the new ones. As silly and improbable thought as it is, could this be possible from expansion due to being used over time? The top does look a little warped when compared to a brand new one. Although I would expect it to expand in diameter as well which doesn't seem to be the case because the shells end up being a tighter fit the more I use them. It could just be purposely manufactured shorter too, to allow the fuse to hang out more.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2495&stc=1

Rick_In_Tampa
07-11-2017, 11:21 AM
The odds of the tube growing 1" due to repeated use is about as likely as me winning the Powerball. Twice!

More than likely the tube was simply cut longer, or just not seated in the base as deep as it should be, or both.

chriskrc
07-11-2017, 12:57 PM
I have to agree with rick, look at the stickers on the tubes the one sits higher than the other so it may not be fully seated all the way or the one tube is cut shorter.

displayfireworks1
07-11-2017, 01:09 PM
Do a measurement in length on both and identify the new one. This we can check the ones we have. That tube on the right looks distorted.

FBpyro
07-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Rick I'm 99% sure you are right and I have the same thought myself, this was just more of a curious thought I wanted to share on here. I will measure them and post the dimensions, I'll also check the inner diameter as well.

Kenny East
07-11-2017, 02:41 PM
They changed the length of their tubes over the past few years, just like adding the sleeve piece... I've gotten some shorter ones and some longer ones. Just a change from the factory

MtnViewPyro
07-11-2017, 04:43 PM
This is a little different than the original post question/concern but seen this yesterday thought it was somewhat relevant concerning the excal tubes.

https://youtu.be/bXP-n2ggbbw

natedogg284752
07-11-2017, 08:15 PM
I have some tubes that I knocked the bases off of and put in racks. And you can see some of the tubes are longer than others and they have never been fired. I tried uploading a picture of it but can't figure out how to do so on my phone.