PDA

View Full Version : 1.1 vs 1.3

aerialpyro
07-10-2017, 11:11 PM
I have seen explanations on the difference between 1.1 and 1.3 fireworks based on shell size, and salutes. Can anyone explain the deal with salutes? In an industry that tries to work around the rules, it can get confusing about what is truly legally defensible vs regulation dodging. Is it truly an issue of how many salutes are in a box? Has no one actually defined what a salute is physically? Also what are the license designations for these? For use, you would need a type 33 instead of type 54?

countryboy7978
07-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Import regulations are what make color shells over 8" and salutes over 2.5oz of flash a 1.1g import. They are still for all intents and purposes 1.3g and do not require a license beyond a type 54 to purchase, transport or store. Most shells that exceed these requirements are made in the US and some from Mexico because its logistically easier for the distributors. There are very very few ports that accept 1.1g loads from overseas so it's cost prohibitive to import items that must come in as 1.1g. The storage requirements as explained to me are not directly related to the above conversation. They are surrounding the interpretation by local ATF inspectors of what constitutes bulk flash powder salutes. Some state 50:50 by weight while others state that one color shell per container fits the requirement. You'll see many importers add one color break shell to each case or even cake to meet this regulation.

countryboy7978
07-11-2017, 11:06 AM
The best thing to do is ask your inspector and get it in writing. Just like magazine approvals, each agent interprets regulations and enforces them differently.

aerialpyro
07-11-2017, 11:40 AM
That makes more sense. I was wondering why some shells in the 1.3g size range had 1.1g designations. The storage requirements do make sense, if they could only make up their mind... When I get a license though I will probably go for a type 20 anyway because I would like to try some experimental rocket fuels. That is if I can get a proper magazine set up... The hardest part will be getting the 3 event experience for the Oregon State operators certification.