PDA

View Full Version : Brass Awl

displayfireworks1
07-10-2017, 08:35 PM
After I used the brass awl in one of my videos , i am receiving emails on where to purchase this type of device. If you are out there making or selling these brass awls AND want to sign up to be part of pyrotalk.com. Please send me an email to pyrotalk@gmail.com.

Mattp
07-11-2017, 08:45 AM
i was literally going to post a question about this today, funny you already started a thread. I am curious as to why it must be brass?? Is there a chemical reaction with other metals/ or a friction issue.. i would never test this .. just would like to know for my own knowledge .

PyroJoeNEPA
07-11-2017, 10:55 AM
i was literally going to post a question about this today, funny you already started a thread. I am curious as to why it must be brass?? Is there a chemical reaction with other metals/ or a friction issue.. i would never test this .. just would like to know for my own knowledge .

Brass is a non sparking metal and safe to use when poking into a tube.

misfmr
07-11-2017, 11:02 AM
After I used the brass awl in one of my videos , i am receiving emails on where to purchase this type of device. If you are out there making or selling these brass awls AND want to sign up to be part of pyrotalk.com. Please send me an email to pyrotalk@gmail.com.

Dave, I just sent you an email.

Frank Rodriguez
misfmr

Mattp
07-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Brass is a non sparking metal and safe to use when poking into a tube.
Ahhhh.. the answer is actually pretty simple.. thank you!!

PyroJoeNEPA
07-11-2017, 09:14 PM
You can make your own quite easilly from parts at Lowes or Home Depot or any other store of that type: you need two items--#1 in the plumbing section--toilet repair parts get a brass rod that is used for the float in older toilets. You can cut it in half & make 2 pokes. #2. Go to the wood section where they have unfinished knobs for drawers--and get a suitable piece for a handle. You can find some that look like replacement handles for files--or just get a replacement handle for a file. Put a point on the rod--I have a cheapo angle grinder from Harbor Freight that I use for stuff like that. Insert the other end in the wood handle & you are "good to go".
PS--I have one that I ground down to around a 3mm point to use for punching holes for Visco in tubes. Works great!

Pyro Paul
07-11-2017, 10:09 PM
I took that advice last December Joe, except I bought a 4 ft x 1/4" brass rod as the toilet repair part brass rod appeared to be brass plated. I didn't want to take the chance so I bought a known brass product. It still wasn't too expensive and I have enough rod for several more pokes. The file handle works well.

isp307
07-12-2017, 05:35 PM
I made my own last year out of an 1/8" brass rod. While ordering some wire from the place that was featured in an earlier post I found a nice one and very well priced. So I ordered one and tried it out this year. It worked great. Here's the link http://www.blasterstool.com/plasticpowderpunch6.aspx

Rick_In_Tampa
07-13-2017, 05:42 AM
ISP307 - I actually ordered this same one. Can't beat the price, and free shipping!

cherrybomb1
07-15-2017, 09:00 PM
Thanks isp307 just placed an order.$6.24 with free shipping can't be beat!

isp307
07-16-2017, 01:27 PM
No problem. It worked much better than my homemade one from the year before. Very happy with mine!

joewad
08-06-2019, 04:40 AM
Do any of the sponsors here sell brass awls/pokes? Secondly, I stumbled across a website that sells them in 1/8" or 3/16" or 1/4" increments. What would be the recommended diameter for initiators and/or e-match?

Mattp
08-06-2019, 07:44 AM
Do any of the sponsors here sell brass awls/pokes? Secondly, I stumbled across a website that sells them in 1/8" or 3/16" or 1/4" increments. What would be the recommended diameter for initiators and/or e-match?

id say the 3/16".. or the 1/4".... when i was buying mine.. i couldnt find any at all in stock... but i did find an electricians non sparking brass philips head screwdriver... so i got that instead.. and it works great... and i know that it is 1/4"..

Robbro097
08-06-2019, 11:04 AM
Pyroboom tweeted out a while back that they have em. 1/4" works well for me

CozmicRooster
08-06-2019, 04:32 PM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074TW2VGP/?coliid=I2D12MLVH19XP3&colid=1P72N4BWKQAW8&psc=1

Found one on Amazon but it?s $18. Glad I found this thread befor I ordered that one.
Might still order it though. I like the handle on that one.

Robbro097
08-06-2019, 05:21 PM
I had baught 1/4" brass rod from Amazon and some round wooden balls from local craft store cut rods down to a few inchs then grinded a point on em and drilled hole in ball i think i made 6 of em for like 15$ or so if u have the tools its a cheap way to tool u and your pyro crew if not theyrs so many great pyrotalk sponsers got you covered for whatever

Robbro097
08-06-2019, 05:33 PM
I just checked out Amazon page and had to share picture of the commonly bought together items lol4366 "Daves magic tape"

joewad
08-06-2019, 06:21 PM
I just checked out Amazon page and had to share picture of the commonly bought together items lol4366 "Daves magic tape"

I saw that but the tape price made my jaw drop. I've got a u-haul dealer 5 miles from me and I'm paying practically a third of Amazon's.

Robbro097
08-06-2019, 06:30 PM
I saw that but the tape price made my jaw drop. I've got a u-haul dealer 5 miles from me and I'm paying practically a third of Amazon's.

Same here but even at 11$ a roll its selling Dave's had a huge impact on fireworks community

rfgonzo
08-06-2019, 10:39 PM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074TW2VGP/?coliid=I2D12MLVH19XP3&colid=1P72N4BWKQAW8&psc=1

Found one on Amazon but it?s $18. Glad I found this thread befor I ordered that one.
Might still order it though. I like the handle on that one.

I have that one. Works great till you drop it on your feet. OUCH, Every time it rolls off the table, it managed to stab my feet. haha

Arclight
08-06-2019, 11:05 PM
For whoever is making these: You can also find Bronze brazing rod at the welding store. It should be a little tougher than brass, although it doesn't machine as nicely.