PDA

View Full Version : Shapes in the air ?

Butterman900
07-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Can anybody help me understand how they make the shapes in the air using aerials? I have mastered making set pieces on the ground with lances but would like to do something in the air. Maybe "boy " or "girl" for gender reveals stuff ? Please help !

Bazerk
07-10-2017, 03:07 PM
I dont know the answer for sure but logic tells me that you would need to make the shape within the shell and it will spread in that same shape when it explodes.

PyroJoeNEPA
07-10-2017, 06:57 PM
When you say "shapes in the air" are you referring to pattern shells that would make a smiley face, heart, clover, etc---or the letters that are made by shooting mines to form letters in the air?
If you are referring to pattern shells--smaller shells 3",4" don't work well. 5" & 6" are preferred because the stars are larger, will spread out farther, and will burn longer. There are "smiley face rockets" that have a ball end about 2" on them--they to make a smiley face---for a fraction of a second. Blink & you miss it.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2493&stc=1

Kenny East
07-11-2017, 02:54 PM
That's my new build project... Working on some pattern shells... Want to make a 3D cube... Only seen one and it looked sweet...

chriskrc
07-11-2017, 04:15 PM
That's my new build project... Working on some pattern shells... Want to make a 3D cube... Only seen one and it looked sweet...

I have never seen a 3d yet but it would be awesome to see.

Butterman900
07-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Okay guys thanks for the replies but shape shells isn't what I meant. I was meaning something like this ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1DEhHGkrg3M

But i was thinking more when they use i guess comets or meteors and put it in the sky. Usually you see stars or squares in musicals but I want to do letters, but again in the sky instead of mines like in the vid. Was curious if anyone knew the angles etc ?

PyroJoeNEPA
07-11-2017, 09:03 PM
OK--several things working against you before you even start: The main reasons you don't see this technology used much [if at all] by "smaller companies" is #1--product consistency. Having the mines [or comets] with exact lift, burn, and decay rates takes accurate manufacturing--above what "off the shelf" items can produce. #2 is the viewing angle. This technology is designed for a "fixed spectator viewing area"...in other words, if you are not right out in front but off on a tangent you will not see the pattern projected properly. An example is i simple "smiley face" shell--if it is oriented properly it looks like a face--if it is off axis it looks like a line--or variation of one.
Even the "big boys" like Grucci with their air burst shell technology don't have it down pat. The USA for the Inauguration of President Trump looked like USR and the American Flag was pretty sloppy when it broke.
I think you have picked a pretty challenging project to pursue--if you choose to do so. Good luck!!

PyroJoeNEPA
07-11-2017, 09:06 PM

I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread--but if you aren't sure on the 3D assembly technique for the cube--drop me a PM. It is actually very easy to do if you know a certain "assembly trick" which I will gladly share with you.

Kenny East
07-12-2017, 02:08 AM
I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread--but if you aren't sure on the 3D assembly technique for the cube--drop me a PM. It is actually very easy to do if you know a certain "assembly trick" which I will gladly share with you.

I got a pretty good idea of how to place the stars for the cube, i still gotta make some larger hemispheres first... I've got a set of 1.75" ring, ring in ring, and some jellyfish shells in mid process currently... Gotta get those done to make room in the project box