PDA

View Full Version : First time remote fire. Talons. Cobra.

Stormcrow
07-06-2017, 07:24 PM
This was my first post. I used cobra remote firing system. Talon clips worked well for me. I fired about 40 500g, 24 comets, 5 Roman candles, 60 200g and 240 mortars. 2 cakes and 7 mortars didn't fire. Most I think were a quick fuse problem.
I really stepped up my pyro game this year thanks to all in the forums. Plus wholesale shout out to spirit of 76.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-07-2017, 12:50 AM
That's awesome Stormcrow! Glad you had a good first experience with your Cobra system. I wound up using the quick fuse clips on my finale and thankfully they all worked perfectly. Did you cross-cut the end of the visco before you connected the initiator? I found that works the best.

Stormcrow
07-07-2017, 09:06 AM
Most cakes I was looking for as close to immediate fire that I could get. So I cut into the cakes to discover the full length of the fuse and I attached the talon as close to the tube as I could. I thought this had a very acceptable result for the backyard show. Anything that had a delayed response with timed fuse, I did cross-cut the visco. Trying to upload photo and video but having difficulty. Everything fails to load.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-07-2017, 11:34 AM
I guess I shouldn't post at 1am unless I pay closer attention to what I'm responding to. I thought you said you used firewire initiators, not talons. So my response doesn't make sense. Sorry.

Your failure rate seems comparable to what I experienced using initiators. I had 3 mortars not go (out of 236), and 6 500G cakes (out of 124). The mortar fuses were pretty chewed up and nasty to begin with. So i understand why the fire didn't transfer there. my guess is you had similar issues with the visco on your cakes that didn't fire. Sometimes I think the Chinese folks who build these things do that on purpose just to piss us off.

Just out of curiosity... Why did you decide to use talons with your Cobra and not initiators?

Stormcrow
07-07-2017, 08:25 PM
I already had about 80 talons so I wanted to use them up. I was unaware of initiators at the time of purchase. I was thinking next year maybe but talons worked so well and easy who knows. What did you think of the ease of use for initiators?

Finally have my show to post
https://youtu.be/SSZjnBbyz8s

next year definitely plan to slow up some parts more with fish and waterfalls. Also plan to have angled boards.

displayfireworks1
07-07-2017, 10:00 PM
It hard tp get a quick fire using Talons. You still did Ok. Next time try to get some setup pictures or daytime video.

Stormcrow
07-07-2017, 11:10 PM
Yeah I really failed on the set up video. Honestly I did this by myself and I was exhausted on the day. I have only a few shots which I'll try to post. Thanks for the reply.

Pyro Paul
07-07-2017, 11:18 PM
That was pretty decent Crow, keep it up!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-08-2017, 01:05 AM
What did you think of the ease of use for initiators?

Initiators are definitely more labor intensive than talons, however, they are a must if you are looking to control the exact timing of your effects. So I don't envision a scenario where I would ever use talons again to fire my main show.

Stormcrow
07-08-2017, 09:59 AM
still having trouble uploading some photos. At least you can see the mortars fused and wrapped.
Thanks paul really appreciate it.

Stormcrow
07-13-2017, 10:27 PM
any opinion on my fusing or mortar rack design. I had one milk crate with mortars all over the place after the show. I think next year I will tape the row of five together to add stability. Any thoughts?

Rick_In_Tampa
07-13-2017, 11:42 PM
I use milk crates for racks too. I also zip tie. But I also use "Dave's magic tape" over the top of the zip ties. I only had 3 mortars not fire out of 236, and that was because the fuse on the mortar itself was crap. I think the tape helps to enclose the fire and that helps ensure it transfers to the mortar fuse better. Just a theory, but it seems to be working for me anyway.

Mattp
07-14-2017, 06:39 AM
Wow.. that was some barrage on the sky.. like a 10 minute finale.. i see the backyard king in there.. became one of my favorites this year.. i also got all from so76.. great way to block off the area too!!!

Stormcrow
07-15-2017, 08:08 AM
I liked backyard king too. Solid firework.

I'll try Dave's magic tape next year. Thanks rick.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-16-2017, 05:23 AM
I'll try Dave's magic tape next year. Thanks rick.

Just make sure you go to the U Haul store and ask for box/packaging paper tape. :cool:

PYRODAN
07-17-2017, 05:43 PM
Nice show storm. Where in Ohio? You can pm me if you don't want to say in public. You might have to compress your pics to get them to upload. I usually have to. I know its hard to video your set up, and set up. I only got a few set up pics this year.