PDA

View Full Version : Question!! Getting paid for fireworks?

Macavan
07-06-2017, 01:18 PM
Okay, so I did my backyard firework show a few days ago and it was a success. Anywyas the next day a neighborhood association member asked if I would do the yearly New Year's Eve show for the whole neighborhood. My question is do I need a license to do this show or am I allowed to put on a consumer firework show and get paid for it with out my pyrotechnics license? Thank you

Bazerk
07-06-2017, 01:51 PM
You don't need a license to do a show for money per se. Technically you would need a business license and all of that fun stuff if you are earning money for a service no matter what. Then there is the whole local and state laws issue. What I will tell you is this. If you get hurt, or you hurt someone else or damage property, its your ass. I had to go through my first ever permit process so I could do a show for our local PD and Fire guys. Needed show insurance to cover me and the group who was paying for the show. I didn't make a profit because I cant due to having my 54 license and not wanting to deal with all of the added BS that comes with making a profit while having that license. Its a major pain in the ass and I wouldn't ever want to deal with it again, down here in FL anyways. We are however, the first ones to get a fireworks permit in unincorporated Broward County, so that's a win and pretty cool to be able to say.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-07-2017, 11:39 AM
Bazerk - Can I ask you how much the insurance policy cost you? I got a quote for $1800 from a company in Nebraska. I'm trying to get my HOA to "sponsor" a show and pay for the insurance just to cover my butt.

On another note, I was reading a post by a pyro lawyer (in another state) who said an HOA policy already covers you unless fireworks damage is specifically excluded in the policy, and most do not exclude fireworks. Have you ever heard of that?

displayfireworks1
07-07-2017, 10:21 PM
If they are paying you for a display, you don't get to keep the money and they take the risk giving you a ride on their insurance. Be careful trying to do a work around. There is no shortage of people looking for a cheap fireworks display on the July 4th holiday. If you are using only Consumer Fireworks you probably can get a one day policy for around 6 to 7 hundred contingent upon buying all of the fireworks from the distributor issuing the policy and meeting certain other requirements. They don't insure other people fireworks. If something goes wrong one the first things they will look at will be the flow of the money.

joewad
07-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Getting paid for it??? Be prepared for a whole new set of headaches to tackle. but, it can be done. I'm sure there are plenty of folks here to enlighten you. Good luck.....joe

TNtwister
07-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Take your pay in fireworks. Get them to cut you a check for 500 bucks (or whatever) over what they want to spend. Go buy THAT TOTAL amount of fireworks and get receipts in the name of the HOA. Take your stash out (pay) and pack it away somewhere. As far as any entity knows, other than your word against who you deal with (ONE PERSON preferably) at the HOA, you did it for free.

Bazerk
07-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Bazerk - Can I ask you how much the insurance policy cost you? I got a quote for $1800 from a company in Nebraska. I'm trying to get my HOA to "sponsor" a show and pay for the insurance just to cover my butt.

On another note, I was reading a post by a pyro lawyer (in another state) who said an HOA policy already covers you unless fireworks damage is specifically excluded in the policy, and most do not exclude fireworks. Have you ever heard of that?

Its cost them $1500 but it is contingent on a permit. They make it so incredibly tedious and annoying to do it the right way that its no wonder people never do it. Its absurd.