PDA

View Full Version : Are 60g can shells enough?

Big Worm
07-04-2017, 08:15 PM
I live in kind of a tight neighborhood but on the corner. I spent about a 1000 dollars this year and had a good assortment of 200g cakes (25) and 500g cakes (8). I shot 36 cans from Spirit of 76 and 12 quad breaks with 2 12 shot RWB 5sec cakes from SP76 for the finale, all fast fuse. Next year I was thinking of investing in about a 150 mortar tubes from Pyroboom and doing a all shell show, maybe 200 shells. Do you think that would make a good show? I have a few 500g cakes and an awesome horsetail fan leftover for next year thanks to buying wholesale for the first time.

PYRODAN
07-04-2017, 08:54 PM
Imho, That is not going to give you enough variety. The tubes and racks are a good idea though.

Icooclast
07-04-2017, 09:32 PM
Imho, That is not going to give you enough variety. The tubes and racks are a good idea though.

i agree. a show with nothing but shells would seem to be either too slow paced or way too short in time. you need enough cakes in there to keep a steady pace and have your show be a decent length (time) just my 2 cents worth

Hartman
07-04-2017, 10:40 PM
You have to have variety or you will lose your audience

Big Worm
07-04-2017, 10:53 PM
Great feed back definitely going to up the shell count!

chrish
07-05-2017, 12:22 AM
I shoot a 200 shell finale. about 120 good ball shells (a lot with tails) and 80 cans. this puts up almost a curtain of effect. the tails down low, the balls in the middle, and cans up high. it last 2 minutes. that is with two 5 second pauses to let things settle before the next volley. we live in a valley so the roar just carries forever. it is fired from one center location. some of the racks are slightly fanned to add a little distance.

it is an impressive 2 minutes and looks nice. it always shuts down the neighborhood. when it stops no one else is firing.

but, it only last for two minutes.

for a nice full and longer show cakes are almost required. for shells I figure 100 shells a minute to keep the sky lit. 60 a minute if you wanted to slow things down. this seems like a lot, but when you are sending 2, 3,4, or 5 shells at a time it isn't the 0.5-1 second interval it seems.

I figure 1000 shells would fill 10-15 minutes depending number of firing location. it would be a chore to coordinate and fuse everything though. cakes would make that a lot simpler

adultuser
07-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Hi Worm,
In my humble opinion, you need variety of color, height and noise. Something that you cannot get with all shells. I learned long ago that it is more than just painting the sky, you need to paint the night.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-05-2017, 01:56 PM
I'll just echo what most everyone else has already said. An all mortar show is not a good idea. Definitely need to mix up the effects. There are a tone of great, hard hitting 200G cakes out there. You can buy a ton for what you'd pay for a case of 500G cakes. That would give you a lot of variety and you can still use shells to break all that up. Just my $0.02.

Big Worm
07-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Very helpful thank you.

Big Worm
07-05-2017, 05:49 PM
I shoot a 200 shell finale. about 120 good ball shells (a lot with tails) and 80 cans. this puts up almost a curtain of effect. the tails down low, the balls in the middle, and cans up high. it last 2 minutes. that is with two 5 second pauses to let things settle before the next volley. we live in a valley so the roar just carries forever. it is fired from one center location. some of the racks are slightly fanned to add a little distance.

it is an impressive 2 minutes and looks nice. it always shuts down the neighborhood. when it stops no one else is firing.

but, it only last for two minutes.

for a nice full and longer show cakes are almost required. for shells I figure 100 shells a minute to keep the sky lit. 60 a minute if you wanted to slow things down. this seems like a lot, but when you are sending 2, 3,4, or 5 shells at a time it isn't the 0.5-1 second interval it seems.

I figure 1000 shells would fill 10-15 minutes depending number of firing location. it would be a chore to coordinate and fuse everything though. cakes would make that a lot simpler

This was very helpful thank you.