PDA

View Full Version : Is This Overkill?

FBpyro
07-03-2017, 09:28 AM
Decided to wrap all my cakes in plastic and foil to weatherproof them, yes it was a lot of work! and I'm aware I could have done it in simpler ways besides wrapping them individually. However I did it this way due to everything having to be extremely portable since I will be doing my show in the middle of a 3 way intersection in a neighborhood so possibility of cars etc. I used talon igniters on everything as well as taped a backup fuse on for redundancy. I have a feeling though the talon igniters should light every single cake no problem as the manufacture has re-designed them since the last time I used some a couple years ago, the nichrome filament inside is now thicker so it doesn't burn out as quick anymore, and the clip holds onto the fuse alot tighter.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Those look pretty water tight!! Good job.

Stupid question... How do you secure the cakes when you fire them? I assume you shoot them one at a time??

FBpyro
07-03-2017, 10:08 AM
Hopefully they'll be lol; not a stupid question at all haha, since I'm doing it on concrete most of the time if it's a large enough cake that has good surface area I'll just shoot it unsecured, the smaller 200G cakes though I like glue and tape down to wood bases using construction adhesive and gorilla tape. Previous years what I do is shoot them one at a time and set them along with 2-3 Excal shells loaded in my poor mans rack, then when the finale of the cake goes I hit the Excal shells at the perfect moment for a little added pizzazz haha. This year I have more room to work with so I'm planning on setting up all the cakes out and since I only have 15 mortar tubes and 24 shells I'll have to re-load the Excals at least once.