View Full Version : Celebration Fireworks Accident 06/30/17

215less
06-30-2017, 10:55 PM
Slatington,PA

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-pol-fireworks-explosion-slatington-20170630-story.html

I really feel for the employee who got injured along with the kemp family, All really good people over there.

PyroManiacs
06-30-2017, 11:06 PM
Oh man, I did not know!

215less
06-30-2017, 11:46 PM
Oh man, I did not know!

i actually found out thru the FB page YOU referred me to lol.

PyroManiacs
06-30-2017, 11:48 PM
Strange, I just looked on there and didnt see anything about it. I dont like how they changed the way the news feed updates. Its confusing sometimes.

cptnding
07-01-2017, 03:03 AM
http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-pol-fireworks-explosion-slatington-20170630-story.html

ajp989
07-07-2017, 04:33 PM
I want to know what caused the e-match to go off. Maybe static electricity? Do most display companies pre-ematch there product before a show?

countryboy7978
07-11-2017, 10:54 AM
I want to know what caused the e-match to go off. Maybe static electricity? Do most display companies pre-ematch there product before a show?

I've said this dozens of times when people ask about ematch or flash powder accidents. Static is almost never the cause. People all fear static because of the unknown aspect of it. Not only is a static discharge unlikely in a humid summer setting but static would rarely set off an ematch. The most likely and probable cause is/was friction. E-match is made with potassium chlorate and antimony trisulfide along with a binder and laquer. This is the same mixture used in paper roll caps, globe torpedo salutes, and old strike anywhere matches. I've popped ematch by just slapping the exposed head onto a brick wall by the leads. Do not expose the match head to friction or impact. Dropping a matched shell, haphazardly pushing an unshrouded match into the lift charge or a black match leader, or ramming an ematched shell down a tight fitting mortar.

ajp989
07-11-2017, 11:10 AM
I knew e match was sensitive but i didn't realize it was that sensitive where you can slap the exposed head on a brick wall by the leads and get it to ignite.

In flash powder accidents what causes have you seen with them?

displayfireworks1
07-11-2017, 01:31 PM
Every year it seems there are electric match accidents. Some of my critics laughed at me when I said that years back. if you look back over the years in the professional setting , It is very common. I may consider doing a new video about electric match. Not so much a safety video , but to show some of the properties of how it works and how it can also work when you do not want it to.

BhadDawg
07-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Every year it seems there are electric match accidents. Some of my critics laughed at me when I said that years back. if you look back over the years in the professional setting , It is very common. I may consider doing a new video about electric match. Not so much a safety video , but to show some of the properties of how it works and how it can also work when you do not want it to.

That's what I really want to know, what makes it ignite unintentionally. We can all find lots of safety tips and probably videos on e-match, would really like to see the different scenarios that can cause accidental ignition.

countryboy7978
07-11-2017, 07:46 PM
I knew e match was sensitive but i didn't realize it was that sensitive where you can slap the exposed head on a brick wall by the leads and get it to ignite.

In flash powder accidents what causes have you seen with them?

In the 2004 PGI accident, flash spilled on a gravel parking lot and then stepped over caused the flash to ignite and spread fire to a large uncapped Salute casing nearby. A person I know about was injured severely when he used a mortar and pestle to break up caked oxidizer after the flash was mixed.