PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinions

Berserker23
06-29-2017, 12:43 AM
How reliable is using trash bags and wood stakes for 500 gram and 200 gram cakes from heavy rain because as of right now there is a 80% chance of rain for the fourth, I know it can change because it's too early to tell and what do you guys use to protect your mortar racks and Roman candle racks. Also I am using Firewire Initiators and using a awl and insert them directly into the cakes so do you guys hook the wire into your cobra and use a trash bag to protect the cobras and leave them out all day, and do you leave the wire out all day with the rain or should I cover up the wire?

Rick_In_Tampa
06-29-2017, 03:53 AM
I'm using trash bags and stakes this year, but just on my 500G cakes. I'm covering the 200G cake boards and mortar racks with a tarp if it rains. As for the Cobra remote units, I'm going to put those in bags too and take them out before I shoot the show. As for the wiring, unless we get a monsoon, I don't see any issues with it getting wet. The business ends will be protected, and the rest is coated with plastic. So I'm not expecting any issues there.

vegassalute
06-29-2017, 05:34 AM
I'm dealing with the same BS guys. Steaks & plastics on this 4th. And I still can't wait!

joed2323
06-29-2017, 08:47 AM
I've heard of guys keeping their modules covered in plastic bags without any signal issues, I'm not sure if this is preferred or not?

I think it's safe to say, just cover everything regardless of percentage of rain, this year has been crazy for certain parts of the USA... Upper Michigan it has been raining near every day..

I have quite a few slices and comet racks so it's going to require some creative plastic wrapping on some items

FBpyro
06-29-2017, 09:25 AM
Damn, I just looked at the weather for around where I live and it looks like I'll have to find protective means as well. I do my show out on the street though since I live in the city so I'm going to have to use another way to hold down the tarp besides stakes.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-29-2017, 09:57 AM
That's a good question. I've never heard of anyone putting the remote unit in a plastic bag and firing the show with it still in the bag. Maybe someone who has can chime in. I know the Cobra mods are pretty secure by themselves when shut. So I could probably leave it out and it will probably weather any rain storm just fine. But I'm not going to risk it. The rain chance is 50% for my area on the 4th, which is pretty standard here this time of year. The rain usually passes fairly quick too so, I'm confident we'll be fine. I'll be doing the setup work under a 10' x 10' cabana I just bought for this purpose too. :cool:

Rick_In_Tampa
06-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Not sure if it's helpful or not, but I found a link to a site that explains how to waterproof your display items. Let me know what you think.

http://www.painsfireworks.info/wet_weather.html

PGHBoom
06-29-2017, 10:40 AM
I use the PyroBoom P1200 Control Desk with P4 modules. I drill a small hole in a snap-on type lid Tupperware container for wires to pass thru, velcro the module to the container and attach the container to a wooden stake. Pound it into the ground and done. I can see thru the lid for a last minute continuity check. When I am done snip the wires, pull up the stake and into a carry container. On a rainy day, remove the remaining wires from the modules.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2383&stc=1

PyroJoeNEPA
06-29-2017, 07:12 PM
I have quite a few slices and comet racks so it's going to require some creative plastic wrapping on some items

A double wrap of Saran Wrap around the slice cakes and candles will protect them and you can shoot right thru them.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-29-2017, 07:18 PM
I've heard of guys keeping their modules covered in plastic bags without any signal issues, I'm not sure if this is preferred or not?
Putting the module inside a plastic bag will not affect the signal strength seen by the antenna. The modules themselves are in seahorse cases, the silicon boots Scott sells, and many other "protective devices" that people come up with. I have a friend that uses Rubbermade shoe boxes with a small hole for the antenna to stick up thru. They work great at keeping debris off of the modules.