PDA

View Full Version : Check out these tubes

Capt.Rob73
06-27-2017, 09:12 PM
Here's a couple pics of some pipe I recently picked up. I'm planning on making 10" mortars with it. It's 12" DIPS HDPE DR11 pipe. That makes the ID 10.5" and the wall thickness 1.2 I think it's overkill but it was free. That's a 60g canister shells for scale.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2378&stc=1

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2379&stc=1

PyroManiacs
06-27-2017, 09:27 PM
Dayum! That is some serious wallage. Good score!

Capt.Rob73
06-27-2017, 09:41 PM
Dayum! That is some serious wallage. Good score!

No doubt, Any advice on how to plug them. I thinking about cutting circles out of 2x12 lumber and sandwiching 4 pieces together for each plug.

PyroManiacs
06-27-2017, 09:48 PM
Is that the typical thickness for a plug of that size tube?

PyroJoeNEPA
06-27-2017, 10:20 PM
A 10" mortar typically has a 10" deep plug fastened with two rows of large lag bolts. Midwestern Wood Specialties lists a 10" hardwood plug and 5" hardwood plugs that can be stacked. So you could use several of the 2" pieces but you would have to use something to bond them together to make a cohesive plug that will survive the extreme pressure. I will try & get a couple pictures of a 10" gun in the next couple days and also measure the ID of the gun---but time is getting crazy now here with our 1.3 shoots coming up.
Great find on the pipe--two words for you----Back Hoe !!! LOL.

PyroMike79
06-27-2017, 11:51 PM
Just out of curiosity, how much does a pipe like that weigh?

Capt.Rob73
06-28-2017, 05:41 AM
Just out of curiosity, how much does a pipe like that weigh?

After I trim them to 60"
each pipe will be 99lbs without the plug.

PyroDre
06-28-2017, 10:03 AM
A 10" mortar typically has a 10" deep plug fastened with two rows of large lag bolts. Midwestern Wood Specialties lists a 10" hardwood plug and 5" hardwood plugs that can be stacked. So you could use several of the 2" pieces but you would have to use something to bond them together to make a cohesive plug that will survive the extreme pressure. I will try & get a couple pictures of a 10" gun in the next couple days and also measure the ID of the gun---but time is getting crazy now here with our 1.3 shoots coming up.
Great find on the pipe--two words for you----Back Hoe !!! LOL.YEP LOL..... you must bury those 10's

thump junkie
06-28-2017, 07:38 PM
Do yourself a favor. About 3" down from the top . drill 2, 3/4" holes across from each other. This gives you a way to hook onto the tube with a back hoe to pull them back out of the ground.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-29-2017, 07:06 PM
I got in the trailer to check on the 10" guns--they were buried behind the racks of 8"s so I could not get a pic of the bottoms but I did measure them. The plug is 8" and does have double lag bolts. The walls are not anywhere close to the thickness of the pipes you have. They are less than a half inch thick.
So I think if you were to layer up 4 pieces of 2" stock you will be fine......if it was me, I would go with 5 pieces though. Also, alternate the grain 90 degrees with each layer for strength. Keep us posted on your progress with this project.

Capt.Rob73
06-29-2017, 08:52 PM
I got in the trailer to check on the 10" guns--they were buried behind the racks of 8"s so I could not get a pic of the bottoms but I did measure them. The plug is 8" and does have double lag bolts. The walls are not anywhere close to the thickness of the pipes you have. They are less than a half inch thick.
So I think if you were to layer up 4 pieces of 2" stock you will be fine......if it was me, I would go with 5 pieces though. Also, alternate the grain 90 degrees with each layer for strength. Keep us posted on your progress with this project.

Thanks for looking and giving your input. I probably will use 5 pieces. I also have to figure out how to get a nice clean cut when I trim them down to 60"

Cerus
06-29-2017, 09:16 PM
Thanks for looking and giving your input. I probably will use 5 pieces. I also have to figure out how to get a nice clean cut when I trim them down to 60"

A band saw with a sled is probably your only option to get a straight cut. They make specialty tools for large diameter pipe but they're pricey. You could build a miter box and use a hacksaw if you're wanting to work out your arms ;)

Northern Sky
06-29-2017, 10:20 PM
Plugs for these should be end grain not layers of 2X. Call Mid West to have them made correctly.

BhadDawg
06-29-2017, 10:48 PM
Plugs for these should be end grain not layers of 2X. Call Mid West to have them made correctly.

That would be something more like a 10.5" diameter dowel, would that be correct?

Northern Sky
06-29-2017, 10:56 PM
Hardwood.

Midwest doesn't use a simple piece of hardwood. It is several pieces laminated together. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Northern Sky
06-29-2017, 11:16 PM
Hardwood.

Midwest doesn't use a simple piece of hardwood. It is several pieces laminated together. I'll see if I can find a picture.

The plugs you want are the 10X10 Solid $40.00 ea.

http://www.midwestwoodspecialties.com/mortar_plugs_order.html

Capt.Rob73
06-30-2017, 09:05 PM
The plugs you want are the 10X10 Solid $40.00 ea.

http://www.midwestwoodspecialties.com/mortar_plugs_order.html

My latest idea is to find a oak log slightly bigger than I need. Then turning it down on a wood lathe.

I'm not into paying 40.00 ea plus shipping.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-30-2017, 10:01 PM
I didn't mention buying the plugs from Midwest because your tubes are not the same as a standard 10" mortar commercially available & you would have to send the exact specs to Midwest for them to turn the plugs to your specs. And, yes, $40.00 a plug pus shipping would be quite costly.