PDA

View Full Version : CDL with Hazardous material

Melp
06-26-2017, 07:38 PM
I know a lot of you guys out there have this license, but what I would like to know is what it takes to get one. I have been asked several times if I had one and or if I would get one.To get a CDL license don't you have to know how to drive a semi truck? I was told if I had a license I could get paid almost twice the amount I get now to shoot the show (not sure on that one ). Also if I have the license does that clear me with the DOT as far as transporting product to a show that I may get paid for???? Is this a test that you take at the DMV or do you have to actually have to drive an 18 wheeler. I know Dave has one as I have watched enough of his videos driving the trucks

Kenny East
06-27-2017, 06:13 AM
My cdl was for a straight truck.. Like a box truck with a sleeper... But you can get a cdl with a hazmat endorsement without ever having driven a big truck... Go to your dmv office and ask for a cdl book.. It has all the information in there... Well the secretary of states office in your case. It's pretty easy to get if you study the book, answer the questions.. And take the road test

ADVANCEDPYRO
06-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Melp heres the info on a CDL, I have a CDL

Class A--Combination Vehicle, This is probably not the license you want unless your going to make money with it, using it daily as your primary form of income.

Class B--Single Vehicle, This sounds more like the license your inquiring about.

1. Go to local CDL Testing facility in the state and get or ask for a CDL Rules book. Study the book pertaining to the license type you want, General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Pre Trip--not necessarily in this order.

2. With either type of license you will need to find a facility and take a DOT physical and pass. Certain medical conditions you will not be able to pass this physical.

3. Go to CDL facility pass the appropriate tests.

4. Now is the time to take the road test, Take everything you've learned and put it into action, you will be tested on Pre Trip in the lot, backing up, turning the corner and vehicle control on the road. If the truck you'll be using is a stick shift you need to know how to drive it or they will fail you during the road test. If you can drive stick shift, floating the gears is the easiest way to drive. If you pass the test, Congratulations you now have a CDL Class B.

Now onto Getting Hazmat. You need to make an appointment to be fingerprinted and pass a federal background check, should be no problem. Begin studying for hazmat now and when you get the letter in the mail that your cleared for hazmat go to CDL facility and add hazmat to your license, there is usually a fee associated with this also there is a test you need to pass.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask I'll do my best to answer them.

Pyrojoy
06-27-2017, 03:28 PM
Also remember that there is a class A,B and C CDL class B you can drive vehicles over 26000lbs. Class C under 26000lbs. Then there is the airbrake endorsement to drive vehicles with airbrakes. I have a class C CDL with the HazMat endorsement I was told that in the future they may require individuals to actually take a CDL course think it's about 6 weeks or so or more the same that truckers have to take and so it would be best to get your CDL now and as well as the Hazmat an air brake endorsement so that way you are grandfathered in should this change take place.
That's great that a company is willing to pay you double or even extra for having the CDL with Hazmat because I have shot shows and we weren't paid for having a CDL and driving the truck.

Melp
06-27-2017, 06:51 PM
Thanks Guys I will be stopping at the DMV and check out which one I can go for. It would be nice if they had one just for a pickup truck and a trailer?????? Im going to go online to michigan.gov to see what kinda of info they have.

Pyrojoy
06-27-2017, 07:07 PM
In Alabama a class C with hazmat you can take in your pov cause it's under 26000lbs

Melp
06-27-2017, 08:02 PM
I was just on Michigan.gov and reading some of the material you can get a class c with a hazmat for a minivan. From what I read you just need to take a written test. I was thinking of just using my 1/2 ton pickup with a 12' enclosed trailer.

displayfireworks1
06-27-2017, 08:30 PM
Years back I took my CDL and Hazmat Endorsement in my automobile. The guy said we are going to pretend you have a car load of explosives. Those big Budget trucks fireworks companies use are classified that a regular drivers license can drive them. Here in Pennsylvania I have a Class C CDL with Hazmat Endorsement. You can do it also.

Pyropug
06-28-2017, 10:37 AM
Years back I took my CDL and Hazmat Endorsement in my automobile. The guy said we are going to pretend you have a car load of explosives. Those big Budget trucks fireworks companies use are classified that a regular drivers license can drive them. Here in Pennsylvania I have a Class C CDL with Hazmat Endorsement. You can do it also.

You're gross weight is 26,000 pounds, and cannot be an air brake system. Added trailer but no more than 10,000. Im a,b,c with H hazmat myself

Melp
07-05-2017, 07:50 PM
went down to the secretary of state and got all the info to work on my cdl with the hazmat endorsement. I think ill study for a while and then go take the test. Ill let you know how it turns out.

displayfireworks1
07-05-2017, 10:15 PM
Melp, I see you are working on a CDL with Hazmat Endorsement in the state of Michigan. Thats great keep use posted as you progress. Here in Pennsylvania I thought the test questions for the CDL were not that difficult. I just talked about that gross weight of 26,000 lbs. in my latest video. You can use your car for the test and if you plan it correctly , you can probably do the CDL and Hazmat in one sweep. I'm sure the fingerprinting and background check with the Hazmat Endorsement is universal across United States at this point. Here in Pennsylvania , i have to retake the Hazmat test every-time my drivers license is up for renewal. Near every-time i take the test it seems to be about transporting explosives and bottled gas. LOL