PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the NW

WithReport
06-22-2017, 11:01 PM
Hello, I've been scouring through the forums here and Pyro U for some time. I've fully appreciated all the great information and support from everyone. I've been a One-Giant-Backyard-Show-a-Year fan with 1.4. Getting closer to the 1.3 plunge. Anyways, finally dove into the forums as a registered member.

Kenny East
06-23-2017, 05:01 AM
Welcome to pyrotalk!

PyroJoeNEPA
06-23-2017, 07:27 AM
Welcome to Pyro Talk.

chriskrc
06-23-2017, 07:44 AM
Welcome to the forum and great to meet you

adultuser
06-23-2017, 08:46 AM
WELCOME! Learn, contribute and enjoy!

displayfireworks1
06-23-2017, 08:55 AM
There are people that read and follow the forums without being a registered member. When someone feels the time is right they will join. I would recommend enthusiast join so they can at least see the pictures and documents that are posted throughout the forums. Some of this can not be seen unless you are signed in.
I see you commented you are putting on a large 1.4 display. Do you use a fireworks firing system or advanced fusing techniques?

PyroManiacs
06-23-2017, 10:35 PM
Welcome to PyroTalk!

WithReport
06-24-2017, 12:41 AM
There are people that read and follow the forums without being a registered member. When someone feels the time is right they will join. I would recommend enthusiast join so they can at least see the pictures and documents that are posted throughout the forums. Some of this can not be seen unless you are signed in.
I see you commented you are putting on a large 1.4 display. Do you use a fireworks firing system or advanced fusing techniques?

Thanks everyone for the welcoming!

I guess it has been about 7 years of me fiddling around with fireworks. I'm a big fan of the mortars and shells. I grew up in a county that banned all fireworks and had no idea that such stuff was even available until I moved into a town near a reservation and had my socks blown off on new years eve. Most everything was legal in town - I was hooked!

The next July 4th I had the biggest show on the block with a lot of hand loading. The following years there was a lot of "advanced" fusing (calling it advanced makes me chuckle). I scoured over YouTube to estimate the time of each cake, tested all the various fuse I purchased online and then daisy chained everything together. As the show got bigger, it started feeling unsafe - realizing there was no real way to stop it. I purchased a MS12Q system from RFRemotech so I could break it up some. The following YouTube video is from 2013 with the 12 cue system (https://youtu.be/JHSZw0Z6Uto). I had fun with cameras and had one down the street, one at "ground zero" and one facing straight up - All three camera angles are shown at about 3:40 in. The Finale starts around 10:50.

Fireworks are banned in that town now, but I now live out on some land in unincorporated areas of the county and we shoot from the field in front of the house. We set everything up in the shop on the trailer (I'm in Western WA and it is usually raining). Then we drive it out to the field, spread it all out, and connect a lot of firing wire.http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2370&stc=1

The last two years I've added a MS32Q system. I like both of the import RFRemotech devices. They do what they are supposed to and the step function is nice. This year I'm trying some scripting with the FireTek system for the Finale. I had some issues with some trial runs and the Talon igniters out of the box (I started a thread on incandescent test bulbs under the Professional Fireworks Firing Systems Only forum). With a simple email, I got a new Firmware from FireTek and the second trial worked flawlessly. I also have some MJG Firewire Initiators showing up on Monday (thanks to your videos). I also took a stab at ordering a few things online from one of your sponsors this year (ACEPyro/FireArt) -some individual comets, meteors, mines, etc. to throw in with the scripting. The rest of it will be purchased for a local tent - the guy (a PGI member) has a large and good selection, it is all inventoried with QR codes and he provides tablets that you can watch each item on. And he is always really reasonable with my purchase.

This weekend and next weekend are going to be busy. As I'm sure it will be for everyone on PyroTalk.com.

WithReport
06-30-2017, 03:27 AM
Fireworks Didn't Show Up. Delivery Company "lost" them.

So this was the first time I'd ordered fireworks and had it mailed to me. I ordered it some time ago. Had quite a hassle finding out if it was shipped or not. I finally got one package. After more than a week of battles with the ground delivery company, they confessed today they had lost the package of Dominator 1.4 Pro Fireworks. I'm to go back to the shipper. Well that doesn't help me. No chance of getting a new shipment in time for the 4th. Stupid thing is both packages were scanned into the truck on two separate tracking numbers. He had both packages at the delivery address last week (but since the shipper didn't give me the tracking numbers I had no idea when to expect them). He scanned both of them as Unable to Deliver. When he returned int he following day, there was only one package. They "think" he delivered it to the wrong address and somehow forgot to both scan the package and get the required HazMat signature. I think he is planning to have a good forth of July.

So frustrating.

Has anyone else had issues like this?

Also, a separate package of MJG igniters from Cobra Firing Systems (saw the latest video and "deal") arrived. Also with a HazMat tag - as expected. The Driver convinced my 12 year old son to sign. Is that legit/legal?

In my frustration, I made up the lost by buying more cakes tonight. I'm going to try to individually fuse slices of some of the big zipper cakes to make up.

Any other suggestions?

Kenny East
06-30-2017, 03:59 AM
That sucks, and is the only reason i drive and pick up my orders rather than having them shipped... Plus i love driving. As for modifying consumer cakes, you can break up a zipper cake into slices, for fans of small comets... Same thing with mines, get a mine cake, break it up how you want to shoot it. I've even made fans out of those cheap 96shot color pearl cakes... Just take off the outer wrap and you have 96 small comets on one fuse... Arrange them how you want... Or if you are so inclined it's pretty easy to make a mine or comet, if you have access to some bp

WithReport
06-30-2017, 11:21 AM
That sucks, and is the only reason i drive and pick up my orders rather than having them shipped... Plus i love driving. As for modifying consumer cakes, you can break up a zipper cake into slices, for fans of small comets... Same thing with mines, get a mine cake, break it up how you want to shoot it. I've even made fans out of those cheap 96shot color pearl cakes... Just take off the outer wrap and you have 96 small comets on one fuse... Arrange them how you want... Or if you are so inclined it's pretty easy to make a mine or comet, if you have access to some bp

Yes it does suck. I waiting for the slap in the face if FedEx drops it off on the 5th - at least I'll have the stuff. It also had the quick fuse I needed to transfer the MJG igniters to the visco on all the cakes. I have someone stepping in and helping me out with the quick fuse.

Thanks for the thoughts on the modifying consumer cakes.

I think I'll be joining a local pyro club next year - which will get me access to more local resources. I'm a bit jealous of all the wholesalers on your side of the nation.

Kenny East
07-01-2017, 06:42 AM
We do have a few over this way, I'm in a pretty good spot to be able to drive to a few different stores within an hour or two.. Almost ended up not getting any pro line products myself... Due to a uninformed employee, told me they were sold out... A guy took me to their warehouse and we had them in under an hour... Probably won't go back unless i get a magazine though... They want a crazy minimum purchase for their 1.3 products. Aka more than i shoot for one show... Maybe if i add a few dozen 10" shells..lol best of luck with your show

BhadDawg
07-01-2017, 12:42 PM
Welcome!!!

bani
07-12-2017, 01:07 AM
most likely stolen by fedex employees.

WithReport
08-06-2017, 02:16 AM
Received Dave's DVDs in the mail and watched them this weekend.

Anyone here a member of the Northwest Pyrotechnics Association (https://www.npaclub.org/), or have some contact information for anyone in the club? If so please PM me.

I'd like to check it out the club and possibly join, and it looks like they have an event coming up next month I'd like to find more information about.

The website doesn't provide any contact information and no one has responded to the messages I've sent.

PS, i just uploaded a link to the "ground zero" video from my 1.4 pyromusical if anyone is interested: http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?6065-4th-of-July-quot-Front-Yard-quot-Pyromusical-with-1-4G-items

displayfireworks1
08-06-2017, 06:15 AM
Did you use the contact page of the website? The officers may be at the PGI convention or busy preparing for it. If you did not already do so. Send a descriptive message about yourself and you intentions. Also include a phone number in your message and what city you live in. Not that I am saying you did not do that , sometimes people do not respond to a simple message that just ask for more information. Most clubs want to be selective and make an initial assessment about you.
https://www.npaclub.org/contact/

WithReport
08-06-2017, 09:00 AM
Did you use the contact page of the website? The officers may be at the PGI convention or busy preparing for it.

Yes, I've used the contact page a couple of times over the past few weeks. I'll keep trying.