PDA

View Full Version : Supernova can warning!!

ras1986
06-20-2017, 08:25 PM
alright guys, SO76 makes a bad ass set of canister shells and we all know this. I don't know if they changed factories this year or if they are just having them made in the world class factory. anyway these new tops are poking holes in the lift cups of the shells on top of them. this may be hard to understand but look close at the pics. this is like a 40% failure rate and I am worried about how many of them are short on BP and how many of them are going to break low. every single one of my 5 cases has this problem. I have single effect cases and mixed cases same for all. My friend who is also a member of this forum confirms this problem with his cases as well. Each bag is packed with 8 shells, 4 stacked on top of one another and they are all hugging the tube. hopefully James76 can speak up on this because no one over at SO76 will return an email, maybe they are just super busy and haven't gotten to the email yet or maybe they haven't figured out a solution. Its awfully scketchy seeing that coarse bp in the bottom of the bag. i have the clearance but most people don't, especially if these are sold to the public. anyway... just a heads up, cross posted to remebering pyro universe

ras1986
06-20-2017, 08:30 PM
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2340&stc=1

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2341&stc=1

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2342&stc=1

Dave I'll just leave this for you to fix it.... pics never post right off my phone

James76
06-20-2017, 09:06 PM
Hey Ras1986,

Thank you for pointing this out. I have not heard of this problem yet, but I understand what you mean. The batch we have in the store does not have the plastic cap, so we will have to pull some from the warehouse for testing. Our tent opens up Wednesday night, so we can probably shoot some off then.

Thanks!

ras1986
06-20-2017, 10:02 PM
James even if the BP loss is negligible, the sparks from the fuse can prematurely light the lift cup.

djsmurf
06-20-2017, 11:41 PM
I saw a video with this issue today it had me worried. Ras shot you a PM.

chriskrc
06-21-2017, 06:56 AM
Thanks for posting ras, now we need to get rid of the bkack caps on top of the shells. I understand why this was done but now seems like they can cause a bigger issue.

joed2323
06-21-2017, 06:59 AM
This has me slightly worried, I have two cases of supernova, white glitter and golden willow.

I will need to take out of the box and confirm if I have BP sitting in the bottom of the bag later today

displayfireworks1
06-21-2017, 07:04 AM
I agree it should not look like that. It is easy fix with some Magic Tape. Is it from one shell stacked on top of the other?

RalphieJ
06-21-2017, 08:21 AM
James even if the BP loss is negligible, the sparks from the fuse can prematurely light the lift cup.

Why would that be a problem? Same desired result....?????

ras1986
06-21-2017, 08:59 AM
Why would that be a problem? Same desired result....?????

For me it's not a problem. A normal consumer.. standing over the tube... the sparks from the fuse could light that lift cup instantly.

ras1986
06-21-2017, 09:00 AM
I agree it should not look like that. It is easy fix with some Magic Tape. Is it from one shell stacked on top of the other?

That's what I did Dave. I just taped them back up. I have 300 ft of clearance so I'm not worried. I'm worried about the consumer. Yes this is because they are stacked on top of eachother.

esgrillo
06-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Hey Ras1986,

Thank you for pointing this out. I have not heard of this problem yet, but I understand what you mean. The batch we have in the store does not have the plastic cap, so we will have to pull some from the warehouse for testing. Our tent opens up Wednesday night, so we can probably shoot some off then.

Thanks!

James, I have the same issue. I wrote Ben M on Monday regarding this and have not received a reply. Can you reach out to him and get him to contact me. Thanks.

James76
06-21-2017, 02:02 PM
Hey Ed,

I let Ben know to check for your email and get back to you. We will talk with our suppliers about not using caps for 2018.

joed2323
06-21-2017, 06:11 PM
I just went through two cases of supernova, replaced fusing with quick fuse and I noticed not one problem with both cases of shells

ras1986
06-21-2017, 07:22 PM
I just went through two cases of supernova, replaced fusing with quick fuse and I noticed not one problem with both cases of shells

Black tops or red tops?

joed2323
06-21-2017, 09:31 PM
Black tops

I knocked the base out of one of them changing fuse, spilled some on the floor, was pissed, but I had some BP that I filled back up lol and taped shut, that one might be a little over lifted