PDA

View Full Version : Qm to visco

ras1986
06-18-2017, 02:14 PM
In an all perfect world let's say on artillery shell fusing (1.4) fire transfers from string fuse to shell leader 90 percent of the time. How well would you say fire transfers from quick match to visco? I'm asking because I am using bucket chains to fuse my finale. I'm using 1.4 cans but hooking them to 10 chain bucket leaders. The good stuff not that perchlorate stuff

PyroJoeNEPA
06-18-2017, 03:33 PM
Getting fire to light visco from quick match is always an "iffy" proposition. Cutting the visco on a 45 degree angle--or slicing the end about 3/8" to expose more of the visco black powder will help. The best thing, though, is to coat the end of the visco with a black powder "slurry" which is a paste of very fine bp with 5% dextrine mixed with water till it has the consistency of a thick paste. Dip the ends of the visco in & allow them to dry for at least a day or so.

Kenny East
06-18-2017, 10:58 PM
Priming the visco and tying the qm to the visco aids quite a bit.. I fired a whole board of single shot tubes last year with qm to visco on each one... Didn't have a single failure out of 24 tubes... The strings and paper keep smoldering after the main burn is done... So you can end up with a hang fire...did have a couple do that

BigC
06-19-2017, 02:13 AM
I light my show with quick match to visco. I fuse all the 1.4 cakes and chained 1.4 mortar racks that way. I start with a short 4 inch piece of quick match then slide the visco fuse in. Then put 2 small cable/zip ties on it tightened up with cable tie gun to insure there is good contact between the fuses. I then put on the E-match to quick match adapters. Tape everything up with paper box tape (Dave’s Magic Tape). I have shot hundreds of these connections and failures are extremely rare. It’s usually because care wasn’t taken during e-matching and the connection was pulled apart.

displayfireworks1
06-19-2017, 07:12 AM
Joe I'm going to see if I have some dextrin t to make some of that up. Would that Meal D I have work better or just use full black powder? The nice thing about the quick match electric match to Visco is it allows a fast setup. Plus you can get inexperienced people to assist in the setup since not much skill is needed. I noticed on some of these 500 Gram cakes the fuse looks old , too thin and sometimes discolored. I am not sure what that is about.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Joe I'm going to see if I have some dextrin t to make some of that up. Would that Meal D I have work better or just use full black powder? The nice thing about the quick match electric match to Visco is it allows a fast setup. Plus you can get inexperienced people to assist in the setup since not much skill is needed. I noticed on some of these 500 Gram cakes the fuse looks old , too thin and sometimes discolored. I am not sure what that is about.

Meal D will work fine. I've even seen guys use 4FA but the finer the powder the better the Dextrine integrates with it. I usually mix a batch of 100g BP & 5g Dextrine. You have to add the water slowly---and keep some mix aside in case you get it too watered down. I use a spray bottle to moisten the mix with----and only do a small amount at a time. What is left over will harden like a rock--but can be re milled & used again..or run thru a screen and sized for BP--that is what the process "corning" BP basically is.

Kenny East
06-19-2017, 02:38 PM
You can buy dextrin as a laundry starch or just make it by baking corn starch for a few hours... I use 50/50 water to 90% rubbing alcohol... Speeds up drying time

flashfuse
06-19-2017, 02:48 PM
A sure fire way to have virtually 100% results is to cut the visco in half at the top and make it look like a snake tongue, fold one half of the visco back as you feed it into the quick match , this exposes the core of the visco and enables the fire from the quick match to ignite the visco, I've never had a fail yet...

shake the cove
07-05-2017, 08:25 PM
A sure fire way to have virtually 100% results is to cut the visco in half at the top and make it look like a snake tongue, fold one half of the visco back as you feed it into the quick match , this exposes the core of the visco and enables the fire from the quick match to ignite the visco, I've never had a fail yet...
Thanks flashfuse,have not tried that and will give it a go.