PDA

View Full Version : Consumer fireworks laws easing up

Zenith
06-17-2017, 01:52 PM
Hello everyone, It really is exciting that legalization of consumer fireworks is finally being considered in legislation. However It seems like an awful long time. Although there is still is a disconnect regarding these confusing laws and bans. Back way back in the day when the fireworks prohibition even took place before the ATF ever existed people had access to pretty much of anything most of those products were of a 1.3 variety. These products fell into the hands of children and a lot of accidents were caused from lack of supervision and misuse. Today is different consumer fireworks are of a 1.4 variety and you do not need a ATF license to posses or use them. consummer fireworks today are safe when used properly. The government officials have to a full understanding of fireworks which they still have misunderstanding of 1.3 items with 1.4 items.
It is not right that companies cannot sell items to people that live in that state.
It does not seem right that out of towners can buy items but are illegal once you cross t borders. Most of everyone loves fireworks and it's traditional backyard use. It's a shame that we are always caught in this loop hole year after year.

They should just legalize it Period. This will generate lots of revenue and make law enforcement concentrate on the more bigger issues.. Fireworks enthusiasts should not be always targeted as criminals for the love and traditions of fireworks.

Have a safe 4th everyone!!!!!

PyroManiacs
06-17-2017, 03:42 PM
Laws are definitely is loosening up, aren't they.

Zenith
06-17-2017, 04:27 PM
Yes and no depending on what state which you are living in. However there are bills which are now being passed for certain States NJ being one of them but the bill still has yet to be passed. This bill will only allows safe and sane items which is better then nothing at all. Lets face it although safe and sane is fun firework lovers want to buy ariel items as well.They should allow the use of Ariel items etc. as well in helping the consumer with a safe shooting location if desired. If a persons property meets a safe space requirement they should be able to buy and use Ariel consumer fireworks. If this is done properly and a lot of thought is put into trying to make them legal then the local governmentsshould work with us to make it enjoyable while increasing jobs and revenue.

PyroManiacs
06-17-2017, 05:01 PM
If a persons property meets a safe space requirement they should be able to buy and use Ariel consumer fireworks. If this is done properly and a lot of thought is put into trying to make them legal then the local governmentsshould work with us to make it enjoyable while increasing jobs and revenue.

I totally agree with you here.

PyroMike79
06-17-2017, 09:00 PM
I think the general trend is towards legalization. I also think it is the classic case of the snowball rolling down the mountain, the farther it goes, the faster it grows. I live in Illinois for instance, which has made modifications to their fireworks laws over the last decade or so, but is still very restrictive. Newly legal Iowa is a ten minute drive from my house and in less than 3 hours I can be in Missouri, Indiana or Wisconsin. The 4th will sound like a war zone in my town and always has. It is simply impossible to control a product so readily available. (I can actually hear a neighbor shooting a cake as I type this)

The few hold out states that ban 1.4 are going to have to consider (as Iowa just did) if it benefits them in any way to ban the sale and use of a product that will be both sold and used in their state-regardless of the law. That is tax revenue that could be flowing into their state's budget-not their neighbors. The more the list of legal states grows, the more that the hard liners will be feeling the squeeze. I think you are going to continue to see this trend continue unless something comes along to derail it. God forbid!

PyroManiacs
06-17-2017, 10:50 PM
The few hold out states that ban 1.4 are going to have to consider (as Iowa just did) if it benefits them in any way to ban the sale and use of a product that will be both sold and used in their state-regardless of the law. That is tax revenue that could be flowing into their state's budget-not their neighbors. The more the list of legal states grows, the more that the hard liners will be feeling the squeeze. I think you are going to continue to see this trend continue unless something comes along to derail it. God forbid!

Perfectly said.

215less
06-18-2017, 01:22 AM
don't even get me started... PA is the center of the joke... damm commonwealth lol

chriskrc
06-18-2017, 11:25 AM
I agree with the above said statements whole heartily. Even though Schenectady county just did a reban everyone will still use them . Time to keep the ball moving forward and just legalize them.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-19-2017, 01:08 AM
Fireworks are illegal in Florida and yet I have 1500lbs of them sitting in my garage, and my buddy has 3000lbs sitting in his! The fireworks laws here are absurd. Every year on the 4th of July the entire state explodes in fireworks, yet they're illegal. Law makers need to get with the program and scrap the antiquated and unenforced law already.

pimpdaddee28
06-19-2017, 05:04 AM
don't even get me started... PA is the center of the joke... damm commonwealth lol

...and Ohio is a neighboring joke, lol...

jknepp1954
06-19-2017, 08:28 AM

There is actually a bill currently in the Senate. IT IS HORRIBLE! Does no one any good except pad the accounts of the state budget! Steals money from the industry, steals money form the consumer, even steals money form the EMS and Fire Dept.

JimmyR1Rider
07-07-2017, 11:26 PM
There is actually a bill currently in the Senate. IT IS HORRIBLE! Does no one any good except pad the accounts of the state budget! Steals money from the industry, steals money form the consumer, even steals money form the EMS and Fire Dept.

I haven't read the bill but from what I've read there would be an excise tax that would go straight to the emergency services, mainly fire/rescue entities. Is this correct? Or wrong?

hillbilly
07-08-2017, 11:37 AM
took about 4 yrs here in wv to get it passed money go,s to vets and firedepartments try to get law passed then trimm fat later

joewad
07-08-2017, 01:42 PM
Rick_In_Tampa, you and your buddy must have a lot of nuisance birds in your neighborhood to scare off (lol). Up here in Indiana we went through a same ordeal of having to sign before you shoot that it was to scare off nusiance birds, we were farmers, etc.. Indiana has moved away from that and got smarter but it hurts the novice who still buys retail and the mom & pop stores that sell. I figure other states will follow Indiana's lead soon by adding , yes adding, a 5% "Safety Tax" upon retail sales. That kinda hurts when you then add a 7% sales tax to total 12% on a sale. Much like cigarettes, which now have become un-PC oh Uncle Sam and States have no problem taxing them. Add to that liquor and gasoline. What started out as a simple post became a rant, sorry.

MtnViewPyro
07-08-2017, 05:31 PM
Glad I live in Missouri. However, our little town passed an ordinance a few years ago that you must obtain a permit and fireworks can only be shot off on the 4th and New Years. Permit is free and the dates are negotiable. The only problem is that after my show this year, I believe I am the only citizen that gets the permit lol. Had tons of neighbors and Facebook peeps ask why and where I got a permit from. I always do things right if I can to avoid complications or issues but if I am the only one getting a permit, it appears the permit system isn't working. Just like living in a state where it's illegal, people are going to buy and shoot off fireworks so why not take that much needed sales tax 'they' always are in short supply of lol.