PDA

View Full Version : how would one fuse shells together in a rack

Icooclast
06-06-2017, 10:30 AM
hello. i saw a video of using the zip ties on fuse over at pyroboom.com and i was wondering how you'd do it for shells or should i use something different? i'm trying to find the best method for fusing shells, cakes, etc. so if anyone has any advice or maybe something else i should use instead, please let me know

nayslayer
06-06-2017, 10:41 AM
here is a good video from Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Kj17upny4&t=316s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Kj17upny4&t=316s

Icooclast
06-06-2017, 01:11 PM
thanks nayslayer. it was about how i was thinking. anyone else have any ideas or suggestions? maybe a specific type of tape? i noticed that scotch tape doesn't always burn through... at least that's my experience with the tape on bottle rocket fuses.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-06-2017, 02:07 PM
I use zipties and "Dave's magic tape" (U-Haul packing tape) to connect my mortars to visco. Here's a picture of last year's setup. I didn't have any mortars not fire.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2249&stc=1

Kenny East
06-07-2017, 02:32 PM
I use 4" zip ties... Or paper packing tape... Both have their good points

chriskrc
06-07-2017, 03:34 PM
My buddy and I fused up mortar racks about 2 years ago using both tape and zip ties and all the taped shells went up and a few zip tied oned didn't. Not sure why those few didn't go but taping had workef the best so far.

vegassalute
06-07-2017, 03:57 PM
Use the magic Uhaul tape, it has better stickiness than a lot of other tapes and is inexpensive. I have yet to have a consumer finale failure using Dave's methodology. If you're using visao or a consumer rapid fuse, cut at an angle to expose as much of the core as possible and always splice against the direction the fire is coming on your leader ignition line, not with it, so there's more likelihood of passing the fire.

If you're e-frining, I encourage pulling the manufacturer fuse and CAREFULLY use a dowel made of brass or wide to wide the hole and gently (outdoors, with cotton clothing and head and eye protection), insert the E match and tape twice, at entry hole and at other end of the shell (if its a canister).

You might also consider buying or making your own quick match as the leader so you have plenty of rapid fire traveling through your rows. Good luck. post vids!

Pyropug
06-07-2017, 04:48 PM
If you are using fast fuse I only recommend tape, tip ties don't work with fast fuse.

Berserker23
06-07-2017, 05:26 PM
I only use magic uhaul tape and nothing else and I never had a problem yet

Icooclast
06-08-2017, 06:01 AM
what about just using masking tape?

bigmike79
06-08-2017, 07:28 AM
I ve tried masking tape and it worked ok but didnt hold all of the fuses on my shells so i had some not fire....daves magic tape is the best by far

Icooclast
06-08-2017, 07:56 AM
I ve tried masking tape and it worked ok but didnt hold all of the fuses on my shells so i had some not fire....daves magic tape is the best by far

where can i get it and how much does it cost for a roll or whatever and how big is the roll?

nayslayer
06-08-2017, 08:29 AM
You can get it at some Uhaul stores

Rick_In_Tampa
06-08-2017, 01:02 PM
what about just using masking tape?

Masking tape is susceptible to humidity and it will unravel. U-Haul tape will hold water molecules together!!