PDA

View Full Version : hello from missouri

hypothesis
06-05-2017, 07:18 PM
hello everyone this is only my second forum ever to join so i must have an interest here...lol. really I'm a big time reloader enjoy developing new loads for new calibers and testing them of course. I am a beginner as far as pyrotechnics go though. I have made tons of binary explosives(exploding targets) and 20 years ago I worked as a star maker and formula mixer at a local fireworks company. I feel I have established the respect for and safety that comes with this hobby with my past experiences and present hobbies. I'm a married father of 4 boys and electrician by trade. hello to everyone...sorry for the book

displayfireworks1
06-05-2017, 08:53 PM
Glad to have and thanks for description of yourself and your experience. We need more members with fireworks making experience.

hypothesis
06-05-2017, 09:07 PM
Not sure this is the best place to ask but what is the best way for me to learn as a beginner the safest way to make fireworks. Sure I could search Google for hours and hours,but just looking for someone to steer me in the right direction as far as correct knowledge and safety. Books? Videos? And when do i need to apply for some type of license to stay within the law?

PyroJoeNEPA
06-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Welcome to PyroTalk! Is there a pyro club in your area? If so, I would recommend you search them out & find out what they are geared towards. Some clubs are "drop it & light it" and others are structured towards building shells, rocket motors, etc. I belong to two clubs here in PA--one of each!
If you can connect with a club with builders, seek out someone to mentor you. There is a LOT more to making fireworks than people imagine.
Also, go on YouTube and look up Ned Gorsky's video channel. Ned is a PGI Past Grand Master and very knowledgeable--as well as a great communicator. He has a video series out there available to the general public titled "Fireworking 101". Excellent place to start. Once you get thru that let me know & I will steer you to some other safe & reliable resources. There is a lot of bad information out there---!

If you have any general questions, feel free to PM me & I will do my best to answer them.

djsmurf
06-05-2017, 11:28 PM
Welcome to the forum! I'll be sure to follow your progress.

chriskrc
06-06-2017, 06:53 AM
Welcome to the forum and great to meet you

liame
06-06-2017, 07:51 AM
welcome. iv been reloading for about 12 yrs now, but prefer pyro a little bit more.

infante0216
06-06-2017, 01:05 PM
Hello there welcome!!

Icooclast
06-06-2017, 01:55 PM
hello and welcome from Ohio

MtnViewPyro
06-06-2017, 11:23 PM
Welcome. I am a fairly new member but I can tell you that joining was a great idea. A lot of knowledge and friendly people on here. Also I'm from Missouri as well.

Kenny East
06-07-2017, 02:31 PM
I make a lot of fireworks and do quite a bit of reloading... Fireworking 101 is a great place to start learning how to make fireworks... Or join a club, or look into some good books. What kind of fireworks are you interested in making, if you have experience with making/mixing stars, you have the hard part done for building shells

hypothesis
06-08-2017, 10:18 PM
My main question is do i need a license to make home made fireworks for personal use only on my property only? I mainly want to start with bottle rockets and bigger rockets like the 1/4"sticks maybe some smoke bombs and flashes little stuff to start. And also where should i be posting my questions?

Kenny East
06-09-2017, 03:24 AM
As long as your not transporting or causing the fireworks you make to be transported on public roads, you don't need a license... There is a sub category for fireworks manufacturing... Rockets are nice but kinda a pain... I don't use rockets for my shows... Had a stick lawn dart by one of my spectators... Still make and fire them just not while everyone is around...

PyroManiacs
06-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Welcome to PyroTalk!