PDA

View Full Version : Cake stabilization

ras1986
06-04-2017, 07:58 AM
Ok, question for all the long time pro shooters. As far as 1.3 cakes are concerned, how stout are the bases of these cakes? I know about side to side stabilising and all that but I'm shooting these cakes on a beach. I shoot 1.4 cakes right on the sand no problem. Can I shoot these cakes right out of the box on top of the sand or do I need to put a piece of plywood under them? I've never taken apart a 1.3 cake so I'm not sure how the bases are constructed. TIA

PyroJoeNEPA
06-04-2017, 10:25 AM
We shoot a lot of the 2" & 2 1/2" bore cakes & they almost always have a tube or two [or three] that blows the bottom plug out of the tube. The plugs are way too thin in my opinion--but it is a "one shot" tube so cheap assembly is their goal. They will probably hold together in the sand--never shot one that way but I don't think you would need anything under them. Maybe some of the "beach pyros" can give us some input??? The smaller bore cakes are no problem.

Northern Sky
06-04-2017, 12:34 PM
It shouldn't be a problem. I would level the sand before placing the cake down. As easy as is is maybe rake some sand up a bit up around them to ensure stability. Protecting your more​ is more​ of a concert.

ras1986
06-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Ok. I have a lot of big bore cakes so I will definitely rake a nice area. The audience is far away. Over 300 ft but the problem is beach goers. I don't own the beach and can't close it down so it's hard to keep people from parking inside of my taped off area or driving through the area between the water and sand dunes which is about 300 ft wide as well. The skies over baghdad says build a box or bury that big bastard. I guess if I was smart i would just build a plywood wall in front of the cakes like they do at demos

joewad
06-04-2017, 06:28 PM
I always say when it comes to safety questions, "if you feel the need to ask, you probably ought to do it".

djsmurf
06-04-2017, 11:24 PM
Ras, for sure build the plywood wall in front of the cakes. I would if possible put something under the big cakes. Shot a 3" "wind check" for a show in a rack with no base on soft ground, that gun was 2" deep after it left. I don't think sand would be an issue, however safer is better.

PyroDre
06-05-2017, 03:20 PM
we sit our 1.3 cakes right on the ground.. even in the grass never had a problem

Rick_In_Tampa
06-06-2017, 02:14 PM
we sit our 1.3 cakes right on the ground.. even in the grass never had a problem

Do you stake them down? Tape them up? Both? Any setup pictures to share?

PyroDre
06-06-2017, 02:29 PM

no stakes

1.3 cakes are pretty heavy as it is, we just sit them on level ground nothing fancy

Rocketshooter
06-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Depends on the cake. Many cakes are wide and flatter, those would be fine. However, some 1.3 cakes tend to be more tall and narrow, these I would definitely use a stake and duct tape to anchor. You don't want the cake of 2-1/2 salutes tipping toward your audience.

Cberry20
06-25-2017, 08:28 PM
Can a 1.3 cake be shot right out of the box or does it have to be removed first?

ras1986
06-25-2017, 08:46 PM
You can shoot it out of the box. It's probably the best way, holds it together more. You don't even have to open the tops.

Cberry20
06-25-2017, 09:01 PM
If shooting right out of the shipping box should I still wrap it up with foil? I usually remove the cake from the box and wrap it up with foil.

ras1986
06-25-2017, 09:25 PM
Wrap it with foil? 1.3 cakes already have foil on top to keep sparks from prematurely lighting it

Cberry20
06-25-2017, 09:36 PM
wrapping the cakes with foil is to help prevent wind shear which is the cause of the cakes catching fire post shoot. There is a video on pyroinnovations about it. Kind of a preventative for that, not so much premature lighting

shake the cove
07-05-2017, 06:51 PM
we stake our cakes if crowd is at 200ft or less but even with 3" shells minimum is 210 so we are usually ok. If the look like they can tip easily we use wooden stakes.

cherrybomb1
07-10-2017, 03:18 AM
I had 8 200gr cakes on a board fused together.I used liquid nails on the bottom of the cakes(they just had paper no particle board)the last one fell over and about hit my neighbors 5 th wheel camper.I have about an acre and1/4 back yard with privacy fence around everything.That was the beginning of my show and I thought was going to be end.Luckily nobody was back there he had his party 2 days before.

DexTee
07-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Can a 1.3 cake be shot right out of the box or does it have to be removed first?

I always remove the boxes. Cakes put out a lot of burning debris, and I don't want to risk having any cardboard catching fire. Even if the cake is on an area where fire is not a big deal, it can still distract from the show.

Bazerk
07-12-2017, 09:55 AM
I always remove the boxes. Cakes put out a lot of burning debris, and I don't want to risk having any cardboard catching fire. Even if the cake is on an area where fire is not a big deal, it can still distract from the show.

It can add to a show also, lol. I had 3 cakes boards catch fire in my show this year and it made for a pretty cool looking especially for video purposes. I keep my 1.3 cakes in the box and I cute the top flaps off of the box. This way if the grass is a little damp or wet, it wont make it through the box to the cake either. Check out my last video and scrub to the end if you dont want to watch the 25 minutes of awesomeness leading up tot he burning cake boards, lol.