PDA

View Full Version : Good Fireworks..Bad Fuse

displayfireworks1
06-03-2017, 08:55 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rybomTsbGY
I have to apologize to Spirit of 76 Fireworks for using bad fuse on this display. I used the potassium perchlorate quick match. It caused many failures. I used a quick setup technique connecting the electric match to to quick match. This Red and Blue wrapped so called quick match is too fast and violent, it also does not pass the fire reliably to Visco. The good news is I still have at least half of the Spirit of 76 fireworks left to shoot another day. Of all the products I received I am excited about the Photo Flash Cake. i will be shooting that one soon.
I sent this video out earlier today to all registered members of pyrotalk via your registration email to view it before it went public. If you did not receive it please be sure your account has checked off to receive emails from the administrator. Also on your email check if it ended up in your spam folder. Here is the video if you missed it. My wish is for that fuse to disappear from the market.

vegassalute
06-04-2017, 06:36 AM
Dave, for what it's worth, your failures are just as, if not more so valuable to all of us as your successes. We all learn from trial and error. Thanks for your candor and continuing education.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Vegas has it exactly right. Knowing what will NOT work is just as important as knowing what WILL work.

I ran some tests of some firewire initiator to visco clips this weekend myself. Had multiple failures when I didn't mutilate the visco end first. As long as I sliced up the end of the visco it worked fine.

vegassalute
06-05-2017, 06:15 AM
Vegas has it exactly right. Knowing what will NOT work is just as important as knowing what WILL work.

I ran some tests of some firewire initiator to visco clips this weekend myself. Had multiple failures when I didn't mutilate the visco end first. As long as I sliced up the end of the visco it worked fine.

I do the same thing, sort of an "in the filed" way of priming it. I also do that when I'm coming into visco from the side. Thats why I like the gray fast fuse so much, there is ample black powder in the core to help prime the splice.

Northern Sky
06-05-2017, 10:40 AM
Have you ever​ considered poking the cake ahead of time and direct matching it on site?

This e"match to quick match to visco seems to produces a lot of failures.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Have you ever​ considered poking the cake ahead of time and direct matching it on site?

This e"match to quick match to visco seems to produces a lot of failures.

I would need 3 times as many Cobra mods as I have in order to e-match the 200G cakes I plan on using. The budget won't allow that this year.

As it is now I already have 130 500G cakes to poke this year.

Pyropug
06-05-2017, 11:17 AM
I slice the tips of visco 1/32" -!1/16" on tips. Even with regular QM I had a lot of fails in the past, not doing the slice.

ChrisTurner
06-05-2017, 12:02 PM
Can you dip the visco into some adhesive then dip in black powder?

Northern Sky
06-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Right, those and other methods work. I've used spray adhesive to prime fountains and such to get instant ignition​.

Maybe, wire some e-match together in series. With good batteries a Cobra can easily fire 10 e-matches.

I guess if it doesn't matter much when product goes off as long as there is a reasonable success rate. If 15 cakes are supposed to go and 12 of the 15 go, who is going to know the difference untill clearing the field?

I subscribe​ to the school of thought that says sometimes less is more, quality not quantity.

displayfireworks1
06-05-2017, 12:38 PM
When you say spray adhesive , what exactly do you mean? I am not familiar with that technique. I know over the years when I used traditional black match quick match I did not have this rate of errors. Of course this technique could be improved by slicing open the end of the product Visco etc. I wish I could remember if I used traditional quick match when I set up that Shogun demo video I did. I did not have any errors that day. All I know is I am done buying that perchlorate quick match. Looking back I never know I was buying it in the first place. I probably still have more of it. I bet if I stuff that fuse into a salute tube it would blow up as loud as flash powder.

PyroDre
06-05-2017, 01:25 PM
why not use the e-match to light the visco fuse, cut it short and tape the e-match to the visco I've done entire shows like that.

eliminate one point of failure all together

PyroMike79
06-05-2017, 06:33 PM
why not use the e-match to light the visco fuse, cut it short and tape the e-match to the visco I've done entire shows like that.

Interesting idea, have never heard of this for whatever reason. I would think that an e-match would not reliably light a standard visco fuse due to the relatively small amount of fire an e-match produces and the visco's resistance to side ignition. Do you split the visco fuse to expose more powder?

DexTee
06-05-2017, 11:06 PM
Interesting idea, have never heard of this for whatever reason. I would think that an e-match would not reliably light a standard visco fuse due to the relatively small amount of fire an e-match produces and the visco's resistance to side ignition. Do you split the visco fuse to expose more powder?

For all of my 1.4 product, I have been testing with both the Talon-type ignitors as well as e-match on visco fuse (both regular and waterproof visco). I have only had one failure with a Talon on the visco, and that was the ignitor itself failing and not getting hot -- I have had NO failures using the ematch on visco. This was with somewhere around 30 tests on each, so not a ton of testing, but still good results.

For the e-match on visco, I would cut the visco at a 45-degree angle (I did NOT have to spread apart the ends). I would then line the e-match up with the fuse in parallel together, so that the e-match wire ran along the visco fuse (NOT butting them head-to-head from opposite directions). Then I'd be sure the e-match head was right at the cut of the visco (moving that plastic cover out of the way for good), with the angled visco cut against the e-match, and then taped the entire end up with masking tape.

The slicing is a MUST for sure in getting consistent results. Though I will use up the Talon ignitors that I have already purchased on my 1.4 visco-fused products, I will likely just go with e-match for everything in the future.

Good luck, happy fusing, and on with the shows!!!

DexTee
06-05-2017, 11:07 PM

Indeed sir, it has worked outstanding for me, and quite easy overall with just some minimal prep to the visco. :)

Pyro@Mach13
06-06-2017, 09:44 AM
For the e-match on visco, I would cut the visco at a 45-degree angle (I did NOT have to spread apart the ends). I would then line the e-match up with the fuse in parallel together, so that the e-match wire ran along the visco fuse (NOT butting them head-to-head from opposite directions). Then I'd be sure the e-match head was right at the cut of the visco (moving that plastic cover out of the way for good), with the angled visco cut against the e-match, and then taped the entire end up with masking tape.

I had good success on my racks with fused up shells using this technique. Zero failures to fire the visco.

PyroDre
06-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Interesting idea, have never heard of this for whatever reason. I would think that an e-match would not reliably light a standard visco fuse due to the relatively small amount of fire an e-match produces and the visco's resistance to side ignition. Do you split the visco fuse to expose more powder?yep all i do is, like DexTee said, is make a fresh cut on the end of the visco put a e-match on it. I literally have never had a failure of the e-match not lighting the viscio. i usually put the e-match right on the end and slide the shroud right over both and tape with a small piece of masking tape

that's the method i use when i'm not just removing the visco and sticking an e-match right in the hole

Rocketshooter
06-06-2017, 11:10 AM
I started using method I picked up last year, cut your visco at an angle to expose the powder. Tuck the fuse into the ematch shroud. Now you have exposed power beside the match. Wrap in tape, done. I had no problems with this last year.

PyroManiacs
06-09-2017, 09:07 PM
What was the name of that Pyro Demon Cake at 45:32?

yoshisbar
06-09-2017, 10:37 PM
What was the name of that Pyro Demon Cake at 45:32?

Devil's playground or pyro appetite. I will tell you I am not a cake fan and those were thrown in the show(from overstockcentralfireworks.com), but those were VERY nice cakes, break like a shell, nice duration..

PyroManiacs
06-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Hmm, something is off. The PyroDemon cake im looking for the name of is at 44:20. For some reason its at 45:32 when I watch it direct on youtube... but when I watch it through this thread it shows it firing at 44:20. What?? Was there a cake called Nucking Futz? Im thinking thats what Im looking for.

yoshisbar
06-10-2017, 10:10 PM
I think the Nucking Futz didn't fire and we didn't get it on video. Got to overstocentralfireworks.com he has a video of that cake so you can see..

PyroManiacs
06-10-2017, 10:48 PM
Ive played a Nucking Futz demo video right next to your video at that mark. They are definitely the same item. Same effects, timing and same 3 shot ending with crackle.