View Full Version : Question on HDPE tubes

pitts
06-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Hello, built some racks a few years back and have noticed some of the HDPE tubes seem a little tight, shell does not go in smoothly like they did when new, have not tried to force them so I don't know how much force it would take to get them all the way to the bottom of tube, Still safe to use or should I replace them?. Thanks

Icooclast
06-02-2017, 05:04 PM
Hello, built some racks a few years back and have noticed some of the HDPE tubes seem a little tight, shell does not go in smoothly like they did when new, have not tried to force them so I don't know how much force it would take to get them all the way to the bottom of tube, Still safe to use or should I replace them?. Thanks

shells should always be snug, not slide in too easily or with force. if you have to force them, then it's time to get new tubes. because they'll get stuck and blow up in the tube.

jamisonlm3
06-02-2017, 05:41 PM
Are you sure they're HDPE? There's DR9 and DR11 pipe that's used to make mortars. The DR9 has a smaller ID at 1.81" while DR11 has a larger ID of 1.91. Is it possible that after repeated use, HDPE mortars deform? Maybe there's also a buildup of residue left from the years of use in them?

Kenny East
06-03-2017, 03:22 AM
Check the size of the tubes first... I got a dozen dr 9 in a lot of tubes i bought... Guy said they were dr11... Cans won't fit unless you get some under sized ones... Are you shooting the same brand and variety of shells you've used in the past?... Could be a bunch of different reasons.