PDA

View Full Version : Why I haven't pursued an ATF 54

Pyropug
06-02-2017, 03:43 PM
When I become interested, I run across news that always steers me away.

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/Several_Injured_in_Fireworks_Explosion_125714188.h tml

It's an older story from 2011, happened not to far from my neck of the woods. All you ATF 54 holders it's a huge responsibility out there, if somthing goes wrong it's catastrophic physically and financially. Not sure if I'm willing to take that risk, and I'm pretty comfortable with my knowledge and skill.

UniversalPyro
06-02-2017, 05:04 PM
Here is my take on it. DISTANCE, I shoot electronically, enough distance where if my 6 inch goes off on the ground and others go with it, it becomes a ground show, wont make it to the crowd. Your missing out if you do not get the license, theres plenty of nice cakes and you can always shoot smaller shells. Best of luck on your decision.

jamisonlm3
06-02-2017, 05:44 PM
If you really want to try and get it, then work towards that. Look at this and remember not to repeat the mistakes that led up to it. Be responsible and enjoy your efforts.

PyroMike79
06-02-2017, 10:50 PM
I have never chosen to pursue a type 54 simply because I am happy shooting 1.4 and seeing how much I can do with it. I love to combine effects and set up product to create a really dramatic and intense look. The more time goes on the more I am considering getting the 54-mainly because I would love to add some of the 1.3 cakes into my show.

To your point about the safety aspect. I would not let that hold you back if this is something you want to do. The very fact that you are concerned about safety means you will take the proper precautions to protect yourself and your audience. Take proper precautions and use common sense-talk to the folks here that shoot 1.3. Nothing wrong with being risk conscious but don't become risk averse to the point that you don't pursue something you want.

Kenny East
06-11-2017, 01:30 AM
I have a smaller shoot site,so to keep my spectators safe i shoot smaller shells, and non splitting effects... Also avoid willows, falling leaves and rockets, since they all have a good chance of dropping hot sparks or embers on the closer spectators... That a side I've had more low breaks and flower pots shooting 1.4 than 1.3... Always stake racks down individually for 2.5s or bigger... And use a barricade for any salute racks, safety is a concern but the quality control on 1.3 is a bit better than 1.4, which to me means their safer because they are going to do the same thing over and over...