PDA

View Full Version : Star mines

Kenny East
06-02-2017, 06:06 AM
Made some 2" star mines... Piston style set up... Got me wondering any one have a preferred way to make mines... Bag, cup, piston? If i find time to record testing on a couple i will put up a video...http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2238&stc=1

Albo
06-03-2017, 02:33 AM
Bags are quick and easy but for sum reason ive made more shells then mines

Kenny East
06-03-2017, 03:39 AM
Yeah i like making shells, making mines to fill out a mine rack i got bored an built... And it's a great way to use up smaller less perfect stars... The nicer/bigger stars get used in my shells.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Piston mines take a little longer to make but give you a taller more narrow effect than a bag mine--assuming the tube length is the same. I prefer them over bags.

Kenny East
06-03-2017, 05:34 PM
That's what I'm hoping for... Using a kinda slower blue and red strobe formula... Testing it today to see if all the stars burn oit before they come back down

Kenny East
06-05-2017, 02:51 AM
Video of one of them getting tested... Wife didn't record the first one

https://youtu.be/FsagUfOkOpw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsagUfOkOpw&feature=youtu.be

Pyroplantfreak
10-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Piston mines in my experiences have a narrower spread with little to no "side star drop". I would build piston mines for competition but not for use in a show, because of timing....from fuse ignition to lift through the piston. What I started doing was using custom former , 2.75, 3.75, yes 5.75". two turns of 70 lb paper pleated and white glues to a perforated disk on one end. Cut a 3" manila liner. The liner re enforces the side walls of the mine. Place the manila liner in the mine, (one turn). Fill the effects, place another disk on top, crimp, glue. You now have a closed mine on top and on the other side you have your perforated disk. Lift can be pre-made in packets and placed on the perforated disk side using an ignition technique of your choice.(ematch port, quick match leader... You get instant ignition with the mine case acting like a wad, holding together long enough to get that piston mine look.

Kenny East
10-10-2017, 04:02 AM
I run quick match right through the piston to the lift charge. Doesn't really affect timing that much, some of my new ones are piston type with a ematch in the lift charge.

RalphieJ
10-12-2017, 11:49 PM
Do you guys do EVERYTHING the hard way? A few racks of ten 2" mortars with a heaping tablespoon of BP and a handful of stars in each, fused with a length of quick match stapled into the wood stringer and plugged with a piece of crumpled newspaper. Load 'em up into the truck and fuse with a bucket chain at the site. Jeez.

Kenny East
10-13-2017, 03:36 AM
More reliable results, from the hard way...lol I do make some quick/messy ones the day of or if I'm testing a new batch of stars. But even then it's usually made with a disc of cardboard with a few small holes, over the bp to help drive the stars upwards better.