PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think about fireworks juunctions?

Icooclast
06-01-2017, 03:30 AM
http://www.pyroboom.com/images.aspx?productid=1106 and the last item on this page is the same: http://www.pyroboom.com/products.aspx?name=zipties

they seem like a good way to set up not only shells, but cakes too. so, are they easy to use? what speed of fuse is best to use so the main fuse ignites the rest? will 1 sec or even ..5 sec fuse work and anything else you guys think i might need too know, because i'm thinking of ordering these next year

thanks in advance

displayfireworks1
06-01-2017, 07:18 AM
I never tested those connectors, it looks like they should work. Remember Visco fuse is resistant to side ignition. Just off the top of head, I am thinking to cut the fuse before connecting it. This will provide two open ends as opposed to hoping for the flame to break through a closed side potion of the fuse. Using that first illustration.

Icooclast
06-01-2017, 07:46 AM
I never tested those connectors, it looks like they should work. Remember Visco fuse is resistant to side ignition. Just off the top of head, I am thinking to cut the fuse before connecting it. This will provide two open ends as opposed to hoping for the flame to break through a closed side potion of the fuse. Using that first illustration.

then how would i light say 10 shells or 10 cakes, 50 shells or 50 cakes, etc. if i can only light like 2 things with 1 of these, then they aren't really worth buying, or am i misunderstanding something?

displayfireworks1
06-01-2017, 10:53 AM
If the fuse you are using is longer than your arm , you may need a fireworks firing system and electric match. If you are going to try to fuse 10 cakes to a single fuse , it can be done but unless you tested the time and performance of the fuse and product , it may not present properly. Plus its risky, if something goes wrong you can not just stop the display because that long fuse just keeps burning and lighting stuff.

Bazerk
06-01-2017, 12:20 PM
I have bags of these things left over from when I ordered them 2 years ago. Garbage. They take more time to use, they dont always stay snapped shut and you have to use a lot of them in order to get a full show fused together. Also, as Dave said, you also have to prep the visco by cutting it as well. I used them on 1 board and I never touched them again.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-01-2017, 12:23 PM
Dave's right. Using one long piece of visco is problematic, and there's no way to get the timing right. So you're going to have periods of black sky. Last year I had six 2' x 8' boards. Each board was wired with one long strand of visco. Basically 18' per board. I daisy-chained each cake to the visco using zip ties and "Dave's magic tape." I didn't have any cakes fail to light, but I had periods of black sky due to timing issues. I also had a few cakes catch fire, and there was no way to pause the show to put them out.

I've seen the clips you're talking about and to be honest, I don't see the point. Zip ties and tape are cheap and 100% effective if you connect them properly.

My $0.02.

displayfireworks1
06-01-2017, 12:41 PM
If someone has these connectors and wants to mail me some to try out that would great. I think I interpreted that picture wrong. Now I see how the long fuse would pass through and light the single fuse. Would probably work great for artillery shells because of the longer fuse. Using on a cake with a short fuse may be difficult.

Bazerk
06-01-2017, 12:53 PM
If someone has these connectors and wants to mail me some to try out that would great. I think I interpreted that picture wrong. Now I see how the long fuse would pass through and light the single fuse. Would probably work great for artillery shells because of the longer fuse. Using on a cake with a short fuse may be difficult.

Ill send you a bag if you want Dave.

Icooclast
06-01-2017, 07:43 PM

well, for cakes, you could just attach a little bit of extra fuse to it, until it fits your connector, would that work?

Icooclast
06-01-2017, 07:55 PM
oh, and just so you guys know, if i do this next year, i won't be trying to time everything and such, it'll be about getting as much stuff up in the air as we can. it all looks good when you've got lots of other stuff going off with it. we did very well last time not fusing anything together and just lighting a bunch of stuff. but it was suggested to me (surprisingly) to buy some fuse so we can get more up there at once.

Kenny East
06-02-2017, 12:55 AM
Zip ties or tape work great... Those clips work well if you have a really hot fuse like some American made visco... Tried them witb some faster fuse, and it just burned past the leader on the shells i was trying to chain... Only bought that one bag, zip ties will do the same thing a lot cheaper... If you do use zip ties.. At least two at each connection and make sure one is right at the end of the items fuse being lit... Paper packing tape works great too... Just wrap the connections.

displayfireworks1
06-02-2017, 07:04 AM
At Bezerk, That would be great if you send those connectors. I sent you my mailing info. Thanks

Pyromaha
06-03-2017, 03:24 PM
My 2 cents.

I used them 2 years ago. They are more of a hassle then they are worth. They do come loose, especially with thicker fuse and they can be hard to clasp shut. My finger tips got so sore rigging them up. (And ive got rough hands, I work construction)

Second, they are too expensive. Like 10 bucks for a bag of 50 or something like that. If fusing racks of shells, that 50 count bag doesnt last long.

I went right back to taping after that year and havent looked back. Haha.