PDA

View Full Version : Quickfire Clips for Firewire Initiators

Rick_In_Tampa
05-31-2017, 03:47 PM
I was wondering if anyone used or uses these "quickfire clips" from MJG. They look like a good idea to save some time and make the process a little safer.

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on how they work.

Thanks!
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2236&stc=1

Bazerk
05-31-2017, 03:51 PM
I was wondering if anyone used or uses these "quickfire clips" from MJG. They look like a good idea to save some time and make the process a little safer.

I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on how they work.

Thanks!

Whats unsafe about the process? E-match is as reliable as your going to get. I feel I can comfortable say that without having even used these Quickfire clips. Are the clips more expensive?

Rick_In_Tampa
05-31-2017, 04:33 PM
Whats unsafe about the process? E-match is as reliable as your going to get. I feel I can comfortable say that without having even used these Quickfire clips. Are the clips more expensive?

I think what they mean by "safer" is that the business end of the e-match is inserted into the plastic quickfire clip, and not into the lift charge itself. So that would reduce the risk of any contact that might trigger the lift charge and set off the cake.

The neck that pokes into the cake seems like it would act like a funnel to direct the fire directly at the lift charge. Concentrating more fire in one direction.

The clips are like $0.10 each. I assume you can reuse them.

Bazerk
05-31-2017, 04:39 PM
I think what they mean by "safer" is that the business end of the e-match is inserted into the plastic quickfire clip, and not into the lift charge itself. So that would reduce the risk of any contact that might trigger the lift charge and set off the cake.

The neck that pokes into the cake seems like it would act like a funnel to direct the fire directly at the lift charge. Concentrating more fire in one direction.

The clips are like $0.10 each. I assume you can reuse them.

I hear what your saying but the part that is supposed to stick into the lift charge wouldn't reach in many instances. If you use a brass awl there is no chance of spark occurring. Ream the hole out, stick the match in and tape it with Daves Magic Tape. Move on to the next cake. Then those 2 wires go into your cobra mod and your done.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-31-2017, 05:01 PM
I hear what your saying but the part that is supposed to stick into the lift charge wouldn't reach in many instances. If you use a brass awl there is no chance of spark occurring. Ream the hole out, stick the match in and tape it with Daves Magic Tape. Move on to the next cake. Then those 2 wires go into your cobra mod and your done.

Honestly, my interest in getting them was so I could fuse my cakes in advance, and then transport them over to the shoot site on the 4th. If they are safer because the head of the initiator is in a plastic sleeve, they should be safer to transport the short distance to the shoot site. Since I'm a one man crew, that would save me a ton of time on the 4th. That's really where I was going with that thought.

Am I being dumb here?

Bazerk
05-31-2017, 11:42 PM
Honestly, my interest in getting them was so I could fuse my cakes in advance, and then transport them over to the shoot site on the 4th. If they are safer because the head of the initiator is in a plastic sleeve, they should be safer to transport the short distance to the shoot site. Since I'm a one man crew, that would save me a ton of time on the 4th. That's really where I was going with that thought.

Am I being dumb here?

Not dumb at all. However, I pre ematch all of my cakes long before I am going to use them. I just feel that paying more for something that I would imagine would be less reliable is not the way to go about it is all. Once I get my e-matches, I will send you a video of how I do mine so maybe it will make more sense.

displayfireworks1
06-01-2017, 07:22 AM
I don't believe that product really ever caught on. It was originally designed to go into the lift bag of a display shell for more precise firing of choreography fireworks.

Zippster
06-15-2017, 04:17 PM
I actually really like these, I helped a friend out who bought a couple hundred and using these with ematch to direct lift was easy and stress free.
Got rid of fuse, poked cake and with the stiffness of this, it pushed it nicely and fit snugly with no leakage. One piece of tape over it and on to the next. All fired nicely too.
The re-usability....some were more burnt then others and they clip closed over the ematch pretty securely so at about .10 a piece, while you can pry most of them back apart for reuse, all depends on how much you value your time.

flatlander
06-15-2017, 06:01 PM
I purchased some visco clips on ebay from jerseysigns. They have used and new quickfire clips for sale or you can go to the MJG website to purchase them. My Paypal Payment went to MJG. After watching Daves video on the visco connectors I decided to order some.

displayfireworks1
06-15-2017, 07:10 PM
That ebay seller is basically MJG and the same clips that are on the website. Let us know how they work out for you

PyroGyro
08-18-2019, 03:32 PM
Reviving this thread because I bought some of these before I saw that there were threads on this saying this was pretty much a waste.

My question is this though. While the plastic quickfire clip end is pointed I'm guessing it's not sharp enough to pierce a 500G cake tube without mashing it in as well, so I would think you'd want to use an awl? Are you supposed to use an awl first and then push these clips into the hole left by the awl?

Rick_In_Tampa
08-18-2019, 05:01 PM
The clip is supposed to preclude you from having to use an awl. I bought some and thought I'd try them out. I still have all of them somewhere in a box in my garage. Never used them. Never will.