PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Wiring Question

Rick_In_Tampa
05-27-2017, 02:07 PM
I posted this in the Cobra Firing Systems thread 10 days ago and didn't get any comments, so I thought I might have better luck if I re-posted it here.

Stupid question time... Right now I have a script built that will only use 8 cues on my last firing mod to finish up my cakes. After that comes the finale.

The finale is going to be 236 mortars that will be split and wired together with visco. I will have 100 mortars on the left, 100 on the right, and a 36 shot fan rack in the center. The plan is to fire from the outside in towards the center. After the center fan rack goes up, I have a single 11 shot fan slice to sort of punctuate the show finale.

The mortar crates/rack will be fused with visco and lit with talons. The fan slice can take an e-match. My initial thought is to use a separate firing system to light the visco on the 3 mortar stations, and 1 e-match for the fan slice. My question to you folks is, since I have 10 free cues left on my last Cobra mod, should I just use the Cobra mod in talon mode to fire the remaining cakes AND the finale mortars? I know that might sound ridiculous, but this will be my first year using the Cobra. I certainly don't want to mess up the finale part of my show trying to mix and light e-match and visco off the same mod. I'm also concerned about my script and timing. As I understand it, when you put the Cobra in talon mode, it will fire each cue for 2 seconds. So do I need to account for that in my timing? I know the e-match will fire immediately, but will there be an additional 2 second delay between firing each cue that I need to factor in?

Appreciate any suggestions you might have.

vegassalute
05-27-2017, 02:23 PM
I second this question. I had a number of failed ignitions by mixing, assuming that Talon mode would adequately fire both. My assumption from this test was that any particular module should be all electric match or all talon ignitors. My going this route was more so for certainty of ignition vs. accuracy of timing. I too am eager to read feedback on your question Rick.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-27-2017, 02:59 PM
I second this question. I had a number of failed ignitions by mixing, assuming that Talon mode would adequately fire both. My assumption from this test was that any particular module should be all electric match or all talon ignitors. My going this route was more so for certainty of ignition vs. accuracy of timing. I too am eager to read feedback on your question Rick.

OMG... See. That's EXACTLY what I'm afraid of! I don't need those issues. Especially during the finale.

Which media failed? The talons or the firewire initiators? Or was it both?!

vegassalute
05-27-2017, 03:03 PM
The talons failed for me. There could be a distinct possibility that I do not have proper duration set, I thought 2 was what was required but not go. E's went, three talons went, two didn't. And they were each wired directly to the cues, not parallel or series.

Bazerk
05-27-2017, 06:16 PM
I have never used the talons so I cant say. However, they do require a bit more voltage and they do trigger for a little long on the module. The issue with talons is that they are thin wire that get heated until they are red hot and then it ignites the fuse. It is for this reason that I could never and would never rely on them for a show, especially a finale. In my personal experience I would use e-match going forward and then there is nothing to worry about....ever. mjgtechnologies.com. They make them here in the states and they are allowed to ship them. They are as reliable as the 1.3g e-matches. Once you use them, you will never go back. Do it, your fireworks deserve it. :)

PyroJoeNEPA
05-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Agree 100% with Bazerk. There is an unknown time variable with the talons [not to mention reliability]! Go with all firewire initiators or ematch.

ras1986
05-27-2017, 10:07 PM
Esgrillo (ed) can answer this question perfectly. He does this every year. Using mjg and talons.

esgrillo
05-27-2017, 10:35 PM
Rick, I mix firewire and talon on single mods all the time. I have all my mods in talon mode as a result. I have never had a firewire fail to fire when wired to according to Cobra recommendation and the mod in talon mode. For the talons I have had very good results as well. When I fuse everything together, I check for continuity on every single talon AFTER I clip it on the fuse and tape it down on the cake with a multimeter. That way you can ensure you did not break the wire or have some goofy resistance on that talon. Keep in mind if you have multiple talons wired in parallel you will get good continuity on on the Cobra if just one of them is good even if others are bad. That is why I check them all. I can honestly say when I do that, my fire rate is 100%.

During this process I have seen some talons that have a resistance that is way out of whack compare so the "norm" and I just throw those away.

I do exactly what you are doing for your finale in mine, I sent up a bunch of mortars lit with talon and also fan cakes with firewire. I do them all on modules set for talon mode. I would also recommend that you use version 8 talons. (that is what Cobra is currently selling) You can see if you have version 7 or 8 stamped on the plastic clip of the talon. You need version 8 to be able to wire more than 4 in parallel with a LiPo mod. version 7 will not fire more than 4 in parallel consistently even with a Lipo mod. I doubt that is an issue for you but I did get screwed on that one in my last 4th show.

To answer your other question accounting for the 2 sec timing, the answer is no. I do however account for the amount of time the visco will burn but in all honestly they light right pretty much away with a talon. Hope this helps.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Wow. Great feedback guys!

Bazerk - What type of connector do you use to connect the e-match to the visco? Any tips or tricks to ensure the visco lights?

Joe - Lighting visco with an e-match just doesn't strike me as reliable as with a talon. That's why I was leaning towards the talons to light the mortar racks. Sounds like it's more reliable than I'm thinking. I'm going to do a test firing.

Ed - I have all V7 talons. The good news is, I would only need a total of 3 talons if I went that route to light my mortars crates/rack. Thanks for the info on the timing too! That's going to help a ton.

You guys are the bomb! Thanks so much.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Joe - Lighting visco with an e-match just doesn't strike me as reliable as with a talon. That's why I was leaning towards the talons to light the mortar racks. Sounds like it's more reliable than I'm thinking. I'm going to do a test firing.

Rick--I light multiple strings of 1.4 shells that are fast fused in my personal show every year--I put the fast fuse inside a 3-4" piece of quick match with an ematch port on the end---or you can use the unshrouded head right into the QM--or even a piece of sticky match if you have it. Never had any issues with it taking fire. I like the pink fast fuse & always use two strands of it on my shell strings--not really necessary--but fuse is cheap & it throws a LOT of fire to the shell fuses.

djsmurf
05-28-2017, 01:23 PM
I have not used talons in a while however when I did I always cut a little v in the visco. This insured the talon hot wire was on powder and also prevented it from breaking. Wrap it in a bit of tape and I never had any issues with them lighting.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-28-2017, 01:45 PM
Joe - The ATF won't let me buy quickmatch yet (no 54) but I'm still working on solving that problem too. lol... It sure sounds like my pyro life would be easier if I had one though.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Thanks Smurf! I used talons in my show last year, but I've never used talons with firewire initiators on a Cobra before. Ed does all the time and apparently he's not having any issues. He's also using V8 talons. Vegas on the other hand had a bunch of misfires. Not sure what version he has, but I know I have V7 talons. So based on that feedback, it sounds like going 100% firewire is the way to go.

I do appreciate the feedback!!