PDA

View Full Version : My New Cobra

vegassalute
05-26-2017, 08:49 AM
Well guys, I took the plunge and bought the cobra system, 18R2, modules and odds & ends. Ive only had it a few days and already regret not buying it years ago. Whole new level of fun! I'm not sure what the hell I was waiting for! I can already tell though I prefer e-match as opposed to consumer ignitors. Maybe it's just perception but the assurance of the .01 fire time and robust flame seems like the way to go.

Oh, and PS, after buying Dave's package about 4 different times over the past 7 years, I've finally applied for my 54. Keep y'all posted. Have fun and be safe this holiday weekend!

esgrillo
05-26-2017, 10:25 AM
congrats on both fronts!

Bazerk
05-26-2017, 10:41 AM
Well guys, I took the plunge and bought the cobra system, 18R2, modules and odds & ends. Ive only had it a few days and already regret not buying it years ago. Whole new level of fun! I'm not sure what the hell I was waiting for! I can already tell though I prefer e-match as opposed to consumer ignitors. Maybe it's just perception but the assurance of the .01 fire time and robust flame seems like the way to go.

Oh, and PS, after buying Dave's package about 4 different times over the past 7 years, I've finally applied for my 54. Keep y'all posted. Have fun and be safe this holiday weekend!

CONGRATS on both my friend. E-Match is the way to go. You can buy non 1.3 ones as well that work equally good as the 1.3 versions. MJG Technologies are the only company in the US that sells regulated e-match and they are very reasonably priced and work extremely reliably. Jeff is the person you will deal with. I just ordered 10 cases of 3 meter from him earlier this week. The best part is, you can ship these whereas with 1.3 e-matches, you cannot.

vegassalute
05-26-2017, 02:35 PM
CONGRATS on both my friend. E-Match is the way to go. You can buy non 1.3 ones as well that work equally good as the 1.3 versions. MJG Technologies are the only company in the US that sells regulated e-match and they are very reasonably priced and work extremely reliably. Jeff is the person you will deal with. I just ordered 10 cases of 3 meter from him earlier this week. The best part is, you can ship these whereas with 1.3 e-matches, you cannot. Thanks for the insight! I will definitely check this company out!

vegassalute
05-26-2017, 02:35 PM
congrats on both fronts!

Thanks esgrillo!

djsmurf
05-26-2017, 10:04 PM
Congrats, keep us updated on the 54 front. I'll second Bazerk on the MJG match, good stuff.

TexasPyro110
05-27-2017, 12:41 AM
I bought my first two modules and the 18R2 remote last year and was so impressed I bought three more modules this year. I love the simplicity in the Cobra just connect and fire. The fact that I don't have to run electricity or a complicated cable system is awesome, I can just drop a module in the middle of a field and I'm good to go. Also, after 10 years of watching my show from directly under the fireworks, it's a good change of pace to be able to see your show from a distance and actually enjoy it.

vegassalute
05-27-2017, 06:50 AM
You raise a great point TexasPyro. I shot a mini show last night just to play with it and seeing the show live (not afterward via video) from a distance vs. right under it gives me far greater perspective and give me an opportunity to improve my shows from the audience perspective. It's beyond cool. And the CONTROL! To have the match instantly ignite the lift charge on shells is unreal!! Well worth every penny!

And DJSmurf thank you. I'll definitely keep you posted.

Hope everyone is having an awesome holiday weekend thus far! Have fun and shoot safely!

chriskrc
05-27-2017, 07:20 AM
Thats awesome brother, good luck on the 54.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-27-2017, 11:42 AM
Vegas - Congrats on the Cobra system!! It's great that you were able to put it to use already too. Great prep for the big day that's only 5 weeks away!!

Good luck on the 54 as well. That's going to take your pyro habit to a whole new (fun!) level!!

vegassalute
05-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Rick, thanks brother. I distinctly remember exchanging posts a year or two ago with you about wanting to take the "plunge" but that damn price tag kept preventing us both. I finally had a moment of "weakness." At least thats the excuse I tell my wife for constantly blowing up our pyro budget :) How are you doing down there? Shoot any shows lately? Hope you're having a great holiday weekend.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-27-2017, 01:39 PM
Lol... Oh yeah! I remember those conversations well. I finally just said phuck it! You only live once. Go for it. So I did! Thankfully my wife (after 33 years of marriage) finally gave up trying to restrain me from enjoying my hobbies. The bills always get paid and there's always food to eat so....

I'm sure your wife will appreciate the moment of weakness when she see's just how much nicer your shows are as a result of your purchase.

Not much else going on down here! Haven't shot anything since New Years Eve. It's hot as balls again already. Very little rain. Burn ban in effect right now. So if we don't get some rain and lots of it soon, my 4th of July might wind up being a 4th of August!

How about you? Did you ever find a 1.3G distributor up there?

Enjoy your holiday as well buddy!!

vegassalute
05-27-2017, 02:32 PM
Unfortunately no. There are a couple 1.4 dealers but don't offer case or volume deals (which blows my mind). So I've settled to suck it up and place orders from the larger importers, spacing them out and trying to get others to jump in to minimize freight, which isn't too bad to be honest. Still want to commercialize, just waiting for the right opportunity.

I subsequently joined NHPA in New Hampshire last year, they are a GREAT bunch of pyro enthusiasts, and very welcoming to me, the outsider. Prior to that I was a lone-wolf for years besides the forms. Its nice to have a group of like-minded people nearby. We have a shoot coming up in early June which I'm excited for. Beyond that I just amuse myself like a 10 year old here in the Green Mountain State with random shows for my wife and distant neighbors. We've had a ton of rain so far in April and May so it's nice to have fire risk all east minimized. And yes, like your wife, my wife looks at me and figures, at least I'm not out spending money on harmful vices:) Wish we were closer in geography man, I'm betting we'd have a ball shooting together. Maybe someday at one of the national events. Or who knows, maybe (with Dave's blessing) we have an annual Pyro Talk convention where everyone can actually get together. Look how large the PT community has grown over the past near-decade. Who knows....

Rick_In_Tampa
05-27-2017, 02:51 PM
A 1.4 dealer that doesn't offer case or volume discounts isn't really interested in earning my business. There are way too many others that do, and I'm happy to spend my pyro dollars in their stores. That's just insane.

A Pyro Talk convention! Now there's a great idea!! Dave should take a poll to gauge the interest and then set something up if enough people express interest. My wife is from Pa and she's been bugging me to take her back there for years. That would be a great reason!! I just booked my flight to Fargo for the PGI convention in August. So if you're going to be there definitely let me know so we can get together. Would be great to finally meet you.