PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Stash

Rick_In_Tampa
05-19-2017, 07:53 PM
My buddy and I have 129 cases on the way from Spirit of 76 for this year's 4th of July festivities. It's our first order from them. We're both going to be using Cobra's for the first time too. Very excited to be using both products!!

I was wondering what everyone else has on tap. Anyone have pictures of their stash to share yet? Any new goodies you're trying for the first time? I've got some strobes and slices coming that I've never used. Still trying to decide to mount the strobes so they don't blind everyone. Lol...

Let's see what you got!

displayfireworks1
05-20-2017, 04:30 PM
Rick, that is one hell of fireworks delivery order. You will be putting your Cobra firing system to good use, that is for sure. I remember you were unsure about buying a Cobra system and now look what happened when you bought one. LOL

nayslayer
05-20-2017, 07:10 PM
Woe, that's some order. Pictures!

Rick_In_Tampa
05-21-2017, 08:36 AM
Rick, that is one hell of fireworks delivery order. You will be putting your Cobra firing system to good use, that is for sure. I remember you were unsure about buying a Cobra system and now look what happened when you bought one. LOL

Thanks Dave. You guys are a bad influence (in a good way!). We're both very excited. My buddy has 88 cases scripted to go up in about 15-16 min, including an 1100 mortar finale that I need to help him fuse (ug). I've got 41 cases scripted to go up in about 22 min. Should be a good 4th for us. Getting the Cobra was a huge step for both of us. We both need to buy many more mods to keep up. I'm adding an audio box next year so I can try doing a musical. Baby steps...

Rick_In_Tampa
05-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Woe, that's some order. Pictures!

Thanks nayslayer. As soon as it shows up I'll post some pictures.

MontanaMike
05-22-2017, 12:17 AM
Wow, indeed! I thought we were getting somewhere with 40 or so cases! You won't be sorry you got the Cobra system....doing that many fireworks there's just no better way.

Our stash won't be shipped till mid-June because of ONE item that is not arriving until then (I forget the name at the moment) but it looks really cool so I'm willing to wait it out.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-22-2017, 01:21 PM
Our stash won't be shipped till mid-June because of ONE item that is not arriving until then (I forget the name at the moment) but it looks really cool so I'm willing to wait it out.

OMG... Not shipping until mid-June?! That would scare the hell out of me. I'm in a panic already and our stuff is supposed to be here this week. I hope it all arrives in time.

How do you do you show builds?

Bazerk
05-22-2017, 01:41 PM
I just placed my order with a non advertiser out of South Carolina, today. It was 87 cases and then another 25 or so cases from Lynch. On top of all of that I still have about 30 cases left over from New Years from wfboom.com. Id say I have a good 4th coming, lol. Ill upload pictures when I have everything. Sounds like youve got a good one in the works Rick. How man mods do you have between the two of you? 432 3in shells this year also. :)

PyroJoeNEPA
05-22-2017, 07:07 PM
Still trying to decide to mount the strobes so they don't blind everyone. Lol...

I use the Dominator strobes which are basically the same size as the SO76 strobes.. What I do is take a #10 pizza sauce can [ask the local pizza shop for some empty sauce cans--they will give you all you want!] =-or any large #10 can--and cut the back 1/3 of it with a tin snips down to about 1" from the bottom. I put a piece of 1/4" split loom tubing over the edge to prevent cuts [a friend of mine used duct tape on the edges==anything to protect your hands.You can put up to three strobes for separate cues in each can. Place them so the solid part is toward the audience & they will only see the flashing light-not the flame of the strobe itself. I will see if I can get out to my shed tomorrow & take a picture of one of the cans so you see how it looks. Works great!

PyroJoeNEPA
05-22-2017, 07:12 PM
Getting the Cobra was a huge step for both of us. We both need to buy many more mods to keep up.
No issues if you are running two systems as two shows--but if you are combining mods & using one 18R2S be sure the modules you both are using have the same software version installed...or upgrade them to 5.0 at the same time. I've been at club shoots where someone was short a module & borrowed one only to find out it wasn't the same software version & wouldn't work. You don't need those kind of surprises "the day of"!

Rick_In_Tampa
05-22-2017, 07:31 PM
How man mods do you have between the two of you? 432 3in shells this year also. :)

You're out of control as usual Bazerk! Lol....

We've got 10 mods between us, but he's shooting his stuff at his place, and mine at my place. He's got 2 pontoon boats he uses as barges to shoot his show from the middle of a lake. I shoot in a retention pond 4 doors down from my house. If we ever elevate this thing into the 1.3G realm, we're going to have to come up with a plan B I think.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-22-2017, 07:36 PM
I use the Dominator strobes which are basically the same size as the SO76 strobes.. What I do is take a #10 pizza sauce can [ask the local pizza shop for some empty sauce cans--they will give you all you want!] =-or any large #10 can--and cut the back 1/3 of it with a tin snips down to about 1" from the bottom. Works great!

Wow... Now that is a really neat idea!! Do you glue them down or just tape them together? I'd love to see an example if you have the time to take a pic.

Thanks Joe!!

Rick_In_Tampa
05-22-2017, 07:37 PM
No issues if you are running two systems as two shows

No issues here. We're running separate shows. However, we did both upgrade to 5.0 a few weeks ago. :o

Bazerk
05-23-2017, 08:33 AM
You're out of control as usual Bazerk! Lol....

We've got 10 mods between us, but he's shooting his stuff at his place, and mine at my place. He's got 2 pontoon boats he uses as barges to shoot his show from the middle of a lake. I shoot in a retention pond 4 doors down from my house. If we ever elevate this thing into the 1.3G realm, we're going to have to come up with a plan B I think.

Sounds great. And yes, a plan B will be in order. Im excited for the video!

PyroJoeNEPA
05-23-2017, 03:39 PM
Rick--here are a couple pics of the "strobe holders" I use: I don't attach them--they are heavy enough that they sit firmly in the can--but if you had an issue you could use a spot of liquid nails or hot glue on the bottom [remove the paper bottom first]. I simply slit the clear plastic on the top, insert an ematch head [out of the shroud] and put a piece of scotch tape back over the top to hold it in place. Just run the ematches out the front of the can.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2183&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2184&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2185&stc=1
PS--if you need some of the split loom tubing PM me your mailing address & I will send you some. I have 2,000-3,000 ft of it left in my shop from when I had the my sound system installation business.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-27-2017, 11:16 AM
Joe - Thanks so much for posting the pics. My goodies arrived yesterday. You're right... I think they're heavy enough to just sit in the can on their own. I think that's the plan!!

Rick_In_Tampa
05-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Here's the stash for this year, The goodies arrived yesterday afternoon. My buddy and I had 6 pallets arrive via FedEx. The driver and his helper couldn't believe they were delivering this stuff to a residential address. Lol... In my defense, 4 of the pallets were for my buddy. Only two were mine. Anyway.... Thanks to Ben and the gang at Spirit of 76!! They made the process quite painless.

Fresh off the truck! Believe it or not it all fit into my van in the background.

Finally unloaded it all. Couldn't get it all in the shot though.

Panorama view to get it all in the shot.

Now the fun/work REALLY begins!!

vegassalute
05-27-2017, 12:32 PM
My buddy and I have 129 cases on the way from Spirit of 76 for this year's 4th of July festivities. It's our first order from them. We're both going to be using Cobra's for the first time too. Very excited to be using both products!!

I was wondering what everyone else has on tap. Anyone have pictures of their stash to share yet? Any new goodies you're trying for the first time? I've got some strobes and slices coming that I've never used. Still trying to decide to mount the strobes so they don't blind everyone. Lol...

Let's see what you got!

That is going to be one HELL of a show! Be sure to post vids if you're able!! I've got about 35 cases of inventory left and I'm in the process of building some orders as we speak. Nothing like waiting until the last minute! Will keep you posted on the finals.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-27-2017, 01:23 PM
That is going to be one HELL of a show! Be sure to post vids if you're able!!

Thank you Sir! I will definitely get some video of this show. Going to be my biggest ever, AND my very first Cobra show.

Looking forward to seeing your show vid as well! Sounds like it's going to be rather large too.

Man it's good to be us!! Lol...

MtnViewPyro
05-28-2017, 12:50 AM
I ordered from 76 as well. My order is much smaller than yours but I am curious as to how you store your consumer product? I know 1.3G items need special magazine etc. I live in Missouri and am worried that if I make large purchases, the humidity may be an issue in the summer to store 1.4 in garage or shed. Any tips or suggestions?

chriskrc
05-28-2017, 07:42 AM
That's looking really nice Rick. Can't wait to see a video of the show.

Pyro@Mach13
05-28-2017, 11:03 AM
I ordered from 76 as well. My order is much smaller than yours but I am curious as to how you store your consumer product? I know 1.3G items need special magazine etc. I live in Missouri and am worried that if I make large purchases, the humidity may be an issue in the summer to store 1.4 in garage or shed. Any tips or suggestions?

Shed is a better option than garage. Humidly? They come over in hot hot humid weather... no problems.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-28-2017, 11:36 AM

Hey there MVP!! I live in Tampa, Fl. I store all my stuff in my garage. Humidity down here is murder most of the year. We're talking 90-100% nearly all summer. Despite that, I haven't had any issues with my 1.4G products. I generally leave them boxed up until I'm ready to start building my boards a few weeks prior to the 4th. Then they just sit in the garage ready to go. This year I'm building the show in place on the 4th. The only boards I'm building are going to be the show opening boards with 200G cakes and strobes. So everything else will remain boxed up until the morning of the 4th.

I'm not expecting any issues again this year. So I think you'll be okay. Hope this helps.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-28-2017, 11:37 AM
That's looking really nice Rick. Can't wait to see a video of the show.

Thanks Chris!

MtnViewPyro
05-28-2017, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the info on storing your products. I was worried that it may cause issues but if they survive Florida, they can take Missouri lol. I plan on doing all boards a few days before the show and then hook them all up to talons they day of.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-29-2017, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the info on storing your products. I was worried that it may cause issues but if they survive Florida, they can take Missouri lol. I plan on doing all boards a few days before the show and then hook them all up to talons they day of.

Yeah, you'll be fine. I wired all my boards with visco last year and then used talons with a Chinese 12 cue firing system to light them off. It worked well. The only thing I couldn't do was get the timing right. For that I needed to up my game and get the Cobra. Anyway... Here are some pics of last years show setup. Would love to see some setup pics of your show once you're ready!

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2231&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2232&stc=1

MtnViewPyro
05-29-2017, 02:07 PM
That's an awesome setup Rick. I will also be using visco down on the boards. I see on your pictures that you have removed the top paper from most of your cakes. I am considering doing the same, have you ever had sparks ignite other cakes prematurely? Also, do you use anything to secure your cakes to the boards? I was thinking of using liquid nails or some tap around bottom but not sure if necessary?

carrant
05-29-2017, 11:47 PM
Rick_in_Tampa,
Great pics of your order!

My order from a SO76 group purchase also came in - slightly less product than y'all's order :-)

There are 46 cases in the trailer, I may have to copy your panoramic pic!

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2233&stc=1

Rick_In_Tampa
06-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Okay guys... One more stupid question.

To start my show I'm going to have two 8' x 2' boards with nothing but 200G cakes and some strobes. Everything is going to be daisy chained together using 3 long runs of visco per board. Initially I was going to use a cheap Chinese firing system with talons to set it off. I've decided instead to use the Cobra.

The problem is I have no idea how long it's going to take to get through all the cakes. So I programmed the script to allow for 10 minutes.

My question is, if the boards finish early, it's my understanding that I can just hit the "STEP" button and it will begin the next two cakes, and the script timing will pick up from there. Or, if the boards take longer to finish, I can just hit the "ARM" button to pause the script until they're done, and then hit it again to restart the show.

I know I'm being stupid here, but I'd just like a warm fuzzy from you folks that it really works that way.

If there's a better/smarter/easier way to do this, please... Let me know!

Rick_In_Tampa
06-04-2017, 04:42 PM
Rick_in_Tampa,
Great pics of your order!

My order from a SO76 group purchase also came in - slightly less product than y'all's order :-)

There are 46 cases in the trailer, I may have to copy your panoramic pic!

That is a very lovely view carrant!! You know you're addicted to pyro when it takes a U-Haul to bring home your stash!! Lol... I love it. Please post some setup pics and a video of the show. Are you using an electronic firing system? I'd be interested in hearing how you plan to set it all up.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-04-2017, 04:50 PM
That's an awesome setup Rick. I will also be using visco down on the boards. I see on your pictures that you have removed the top paper from most of your cakes. I am considering doing the same, have you ever had sparks ignite other cakes prematurely? Also, do you use anything to secure your cakes to the boards? I was thinking of using liquid nails or some tap around bottom but not sure if necessary?

Thanks MtnViewPyro! Yes... I remove the paper tops from all the cakes. It makes cleaning up sooooo much easier! I've never had any issues with crossfire igniting another cake. Having said that, I do cover up the mortar crates and rack with foil because I use the paper quick-fuse on those, and they are susceptible to an errant spark. To secure the cakes to the boards I use liquid nails. Be sure to remove the paper cover off the bottom first though! You want to apply the liquid nails to the solid wood base to ensure you have a good bond with the board.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-27-2017, 11:34 PM
Finally have all my mortars fused and ready to go!! For a while there I wasn't sure I was going to get everything done in time.

Now all I need is for the rain to stay away!!

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2380&stc=1

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2381&stc=1

pistolus
06-28-2017, 02:44 AM
Hey Rick, when are you having the Display?? I'll come from New Jersey on short notice, lol! It's 2:43 Wednesday Morning on June 28th.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-28-2017, 02:58 AM
Hey Rick, when are you having the Display?? I'll come from New Jersey on short notice, lol! It's 2:43 Wednesday Morning on June 28th.

I'm lighting it all at 9pm on Jul 4th! It's now 2:58AM Wednesday morning June 28th!

pistolus
06-28-2017, 03:13 AM
Yeah I'm a purist as well... The big show should be on July 4th.. regardless of where it falls on the calendar... I won't be able to attend your show, but I look forward to seeing it if you're able to post a video. Happy Independence Day!

Rick_In_Tampa
06-28-2017, 04:35 AM
Yeah I'm a purist as well... The big show should be on July 4th.. regardless of where it falls on the calendar... I won't be able to attend your show, but I look forward to seeing it if you're able to post a video. Happy Independence Day!

I will definitely be taking some video and I'll have it on my You Tube channel (Pyro in Tampa) shortly after the show.

Happy Independence Day to you too!

PyroDre
06-28-2017, 09:52 AM
Finally have all my mortars fused and ready to go!! For a while there I wasn't sure I was going to get everything done in time.

Now all I need is for the rain to stay away!!

do you ever have any problems with crossfire when fusing your milk crates like that? Fire seems to jump every time. So this year what i did was drill a small hole through he top of each mortar and i'll run the fuse though the holes. that way the fire is never on the outside.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-28-2017, 10:02 AM
do you ever have any problems with crossfire when fusing your milk crates like that? Fire seems to jump every time. So this year what i did was drill a small hole through he top of each mortar and i'll run the fuse though the holes. that way the fire is never on the outside.

No, never happened. Before the show I put a sheet of foil over the crates and fan rack so nothing from the cakes will set them off. The crates themselves are fused with 3/4 sec per ft fuse down to 1/4 sec per ft. So once they light, they all go pretty quickly. Additionally, if you zoom in on the picture you'll see that I tape each connection with Dave's magic tape. So there's very little fuse showing for an errant spark to hit.

adultuser
06-29-2017, 10:50 AM
Yeah, you'll be fine. I wired all my boards with visco last year and then used talons with a Chinese 12 cue firing system to light them off. It worked well. The only thing I couldn't do was get the timing right. For that I needed to up my game and get the Cobra. Anyway... Here are some pics of last years show setup. Would love to see some setup pics of your show once you're ready!

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2231&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2232&stc=1

NICE RICK!!
I see you are using those Phoenix receivers we were talking about. Got mine out last night and tested them. Found out I lost one last year and I'm now down to 19 instead of my original 20:(
How do you lose a receiver???

joed2323
06-29-2017, 11:13 AM
How far, or what is the recommended distance using those pheonix receivers? 100 yards? I will be using a pheonix this year for the first time ever to backup my cobra system

Rick_In_Tampa
06-29-2017, 11:15 AM
Those things are pretty small! Easy to toss one in a box and forget about it. The good news is they're fairly cheap and easy to replace. I bought 4 new ones and 3 of the 4 cue remotes for this year. Then I went and bought the Cobra so I won't be using any of them! Lol... Oh well. More bad planning on my part.

Post some show setup pics so we can see what you've got going on over there!

Rick_In_Tampa
06-29-2017, 11:22 AM
How far, or what is the recommended distance using those pheonix receivers? 100 yards? I will be using a pheonix this year for the first time ever to backup my cobra system

My boards were about 200' away last year. The website where I bought it says the max range is between 200-300 yards (900ft). They are "line of site" devices, so make sure you can see the antenna from where you shoot the show.

BhadDawg
06-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Thanks MtnViewPyro! Yes... I remove the paper tops from all the cakes. It makes cleaning up sooooo much easier! I've never had any issues with crossfire igniting another cake. Having said that, I do cover up the mortar crates and rack with foil because I use the paper quick-fuse on those, and they are susceptible to an errant spark. To secure the cakes to the boards I use liquid nails. Be sure to remove the paper cover off the bottom first though! You want to apply the liquid nails to the solid wood base to ensure you have a good bond with the board.

Just wanted to chime in with a method we used to use when we had to mount either 500 or especially 200 gram cakes to a sheet of plywood. we often use long Lag bolts to either screw in from the top or tear a hole in bottom of cake and set cake down over it. You just have to have a good view through your cake so as not to tear any of the cross fusing loose.

When not using a board we simply bought some wire stakes for drip irrigation or just a bulk roll of wire similar to the size used in clothes lines and made some wire stakes that we simply stuck through the cakes directly into the ground in at least two places and we never had and issue of a cake turning over or repositioning and they stayed placed and steady while firing. This was especially important to us as we were hand firing with extended road flares and sometimes a lighter would push a cake over are out of position when lighting if not staked or screwed down.

The bolts and the wire stakes were reusable and the bolts we simply used a drill with a socket to drive them in and it was quick and simple and inexpensive after initial cost.

This kind of staking may have already been discussed if so, sorry for the repeat, just my $.02 worth....

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2385&stc=1

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2386&stc=1

adultuser
06-29-2017, 03:12 PM
Those things are pretty small! Easy to toss one in a box and forget about it. The good news is they're fairly cheap and easy to replace. I bought 4 new ones and 3 of the 4 cue remotes for this year. Then I went and bought the Cobra so I won't be using any of them! Lol... Oh well. More bad planning on my part.

Post some show setup pics so we can see what you've got going on over there!

After shooting on the 4th religiously my whole life, I cannot do it this year- so our show is pushed back to 7/15. This thing called "work" #$%@!@#$^*.
But I will post some pics for it- just won't be for a bit.
AS for remote firing, I got my Cobra too, but I shoot in a big field and I like to cue in the Phoenix receivers to the same button frequency and use them for mines spread around the field. One button push and about 12 of em go up at the same time all over the field. Cuts down on firing wire big time.
As for range on the Phoenix, I always shoot from about 100 yards away (never actually measured) so yeah , I think they can cover that.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-29-2017, 11:44 PM
When not using a board we simply bought some wire stakes for drip irrigation

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2385&stc=1

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2386&stc=1

Love the drip irrigation stake idea! I'm going to have to remember that for next year. Thanks for chiming in!!