PDA

View Full Version : New finale rack

Kenny East
05-18-2017, 05:41 AM
Pulled the tubes from my pod project, decided to air on the cautious side and build a sturdy finale rack... Ended up with 4, 36 shot racks... All 2x4 construction with 5" screws. Not using any salutes in it but i am adding some heavier cans. Should hold up better in the event of a flower pot or muzzle break.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2164&stc=1

jamisonlm3
05-18-2017, 12:38 PM
What kind of base are the mortars sitting on? Does the bottom look like the top? Do you mind posting more pictures?

Kenny East
05-18-2017, 02:33 PM
Base is made of 1x8 common board with 2x4s under that... I will try to put up more pics when i can, i already dropped it off at my rack shack... The pic i put up is before it was 100% done... I used the thinner boards around to hold my spacing while putting it all together, then decided to leave them for extra bracing

Northern Sky
05-21-2017, 06:13 PM
Speechless, has it.

Kenny East
05-21-2017, 09:05 PM
Speechless, has it.

? What's that supposed to mean?

Northern Sky
05-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Three days and its pretty quiet.

Kenny East
05-23-2017, 11:55 PM
What kind of base are the mortars sitting on? Does the bottom look like the top? Do you mind posting more pictures?

Went out to the shoot site today... Got some more pictures of the rack....
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2191&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2192&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2193&stc=1

Kenny East
05-23-2017, 11:58 PM
The base was actually 2x6s... Not 2x4s... It weighs enough that i don't think it will move when it's shooting

PyroDre
05-24-2017, 11:46 AM
nice..i don't have the skills or the equipment to build racks like that

my finale racks are plain ol milk crates

Kenny East
05-24-2017, 02:35 PM
I will admit that I've shot outta a milk crate... I had a few tubes hop out... I'm good... Only tools i needed to build my rack qas a miter saw, and cordless drill..

jamisonlm3
05-24-2017, 04:09 PM
The base was actually 2x6s... Not 2x4s... It weighs enough that i don't think it will move when it's shooting Even if it does move I doubt it will move by much. To me, larger racks like these have the benifit of being heavy and having a larger surface area to sit on. This makes them very stable, but not as flexible in how they can be set up like a simple 10 shot rack.

I will admit that I've shot outta a milk crate... I had a few tubes hop out... I'm good... Only tools i needed to build my rack qas a miter saw, and cordless drill..Berzerk has a video show them coming out of a milk crate. Pay attention to the bottom righ corner. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyU1D60HTZ0&feature=youtu.be&t=1224

Kenny East
05-25-2017, 12:23 AM
Yeah, i will give you that... Carrying this thing is a pain... But i do have 12 10 shot consumer racks, as well as some 14 shot ones... Due to a miscalculation... Supposed to have been 12 shots....

jamisonlm3
05-25-2017, 04:28 AM
I've thought of making larger racks than the 24 shot racks I've created in sketchup. Originally, I was thinking of making a 60 shot rack. I can only imagine how heavy that one would've been. If I had made it, I was going to put a small axel with tires and folding handles on it like portable generators have. Why carry it around when you can wheel it around?

Northern Sky
05-25-2017, 04:09 PM
For the life of me I can't figure out why you guys want to build the monstrous racks and have to store and move them when 10 and 12 shot racks work flawlessly, are safer and allow the shooter to spread out the product.

I guess when you're young and shoot a few shows a year schlepping these 50 lb racks is some kind of thrill or something. Hey lookey here mine is bigger kind of thing.

PyroDre
05-25-2017, 05:23 PM
Even if it does move I doubt it will move by much. To me, larger racks like these have the benifit of being heavy and having a larger surface area to sit on. This makes them very stable, but not as flexible in how they can be set up like a simple 10 shot rack.

Berzerk has a video show them coming out of a milk crate. Pay attention to the bottom righ corner. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyU1D60HTZ0&feature=youtu.be&t=1224

crap! ...yeah I was afraid of that....I used zip ties to secure mine together

Kenny East
05-26-2017, 02:56 AM
Not an issue of the size, most of my racks are 10s and 12s... Every once in a while it's just fun to build something new... I have a cut,cut... Measure and if it doesn't fit make it work way of building... But this rack started out with me cleaning up a bunch of 2x4 scraps from the shop... Would have kept them for spacers for 3" but I'm done building 3s this year

Bigjohnson
05-26-2017, 08:09 AM
What's the difference in storing 1 big finale rack vs 5 10 shot? I'm assuming the space is the same. Don't know why northern sky wants to come into all your rack threads and shit on them. If you're going to criticize at least be constructive in doing it. Now show us your rack build threads so we can all see how it's done.

ras1986
05-26-2017, 08:57 AM
Northern sky is kinda abrasive but he does have a good point. Do it like the pros do. Its way easier and safer. If you look at all my racks you can see my progression from amateur to bad ads. All my 1.75 are 10 shot. Also i.like my finale racks to be long and not crammed into one big pile. Just screw them end to end in one long line so if one blows it usually only hurts the one rack and the fire keeps going.

Northern Sky
05-26-2017, 09:44 AM
I'm doing a little bitty show over the weekend. I'll see what I can come up with.

Can't promis anything. Pictures aren't really my thing.

Northern Sky
05-26-2017, 10:07 AM
I'm doing a little bitty show over the weekend. I'll see what I can come up with.

Can't promis anything. Pictures aren't really my thing.

I like to spread out my finales shooting from multiple positions one chain at a time from fanned racks. That kind of display can be stopped imedietly ane restarted. In addition, if the fuse stops only a couple shells don't fire. It's about control and safety.

Stand next to an EXPLODING finale pod with hundreds of mixes sized salutes starting a huge grass fire where two firetrucks rush in to put it out. Then dig throught the rubble of racks looking for unshot shells and unmatching them. Throw a couple dozen Lampare shells into the mix.

Add in a some nightmares reliving the experience a few times.

Kenny East
05-26-2017, 10:14 AM
And that's why my salutes go in a separate rack... Like 50' from all my other racks.... And why i don't hand light... One close call with a shell that just had black match out the end of the leader and I'm good... I will hand light miss fires after adding some visco... But otherwise i prefer to be back a ways...