PDA

View Full Version : 2017 excal shells

TopherSky
05-08-2017, 11:40 PM
What is the word on these new excal shells with the plastic top??? I hear they are watered down..anyone try them out?

jamisonlm3
05-09-2017, 02:11 AM
I don't know about watered down. Do you mean they aren't as loud? That's something I've always wondered about when someone says something's been watered down. To me, they're plenty loud but, the effects are the issue. They're average shells with great mortars.

Kenny East
05-09-2017, 03:47 AM
Idk, the Excalibur shells i got this year are from 2014... I did watch a video of the plastic capped excals... They did look a little lacking in the effects, but some were pretty good... Curious as to why they made the change from the way they used to make their shells

displayfireworks1
05-09-2017, 06:56 AM
My guess is that plastic piece is an attempt to stop novice users from loading them in upside down.

TopherSky
05-09-2017, 07:56 AM
Just going by from what I've heard. They sound kinda disappointing from what they've always been known for

flashfuse
05-09-2017, 07:59 AM
The Plastic top is for trying to help people with no common sense , as far as being watered down ,there is video on other sites of Excaliburs from 2015 , 2016 and this year , looks like the 2017s blow them away .

PYRODAN
05-09-2017, 12:06 PM
You cant fix stupid, and stupidity should be painful.

Pyropug
05-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Decibel meter is your answer, do a comparison. There's even a few decibel meter apps available and work with a quite well within 2 decibel correction. Some even have frequency analyzers.

fatcat
05-09-2017, 11:00 PM
PyroDan Maybe we should just remove all the warning lables from all the products and let the stupidity problem solve itself and also help the gene pool. LOL Sorry just couldn't resist. Seriously, no matter , if you drop a cannister shell into a mortar and there isn't enough fuse sticking out to light it, a big light bulb ought to go on. Like you said, You can't fix stupid

Kenny East
05-11-2017, 05:52 AM
Been saying that warning labels only help if people read them.. I vote to remove them.. And let natural selection take its course

PyroDre
05-15-2017, 12:39 PM
i just got a case from badaboom

mine did not have the cap..must be from last years batch

Kenny East
05-16-2017, 04:18 AM
Finally got a pricelist from my local guy... They cut excals down to 4/24 instead of 6/24.... Lame... Seen a video of the two shot side by side... Seem about the same... Not picking up any Excalibur shells this year... Got some mad ox, winda, magnus, big and a case of megaton cans... Only cause it was a great deal for cans

cptnding
05-16-2017, 04:17 PM
Finally got a pricelist from my local guy... They cut excals down to 4/24 instead of 6/24.... Lame... Seen a video of the two shot side by side... Seem about the same... Not picking up any Excalibur shells this year... Got some mad ox, winda, magnus, big and a case of megaton cans... Only cause it was a great deal for cans

They didn't cut down the case size. Jake's sells them either 4/24 or 6/24. I'm guessing your guy switched to the 4/24 because the 6/24 cases are so damn heavy!!
I shot some 2016 and 2017 side by side this past weekend and they are no different at all. If i can figure out how, I will post the video sometime.
If someone doesn't like the caps (really just a fuse holder) they pop right off with very little effort. I was concerned with littering the shoot site with the plastic caps but that wasn't an issue either. I shot 24 of the 2017 ones and only found 3 caps so no big deal.

displayfireworks1
05-16-2017, 05:57 PM
Anyone having trouble or not sure how to post pictures or video, email them to me with a note and I'll post on your behalf. At the same time anyone sending me pictures or video and wants to remain anonymous in regard to the pic or video may also do so. Send to pyrotalk@gmail.com
This is a risk a manufacturer takes when they change product packaging or external labels. Consumer get suspicious and suspect the product has changed. I know for example of all things snuff. For years, that Copenhagen snuff can remained the same with cardboard and a metal lid, all while they changed the Skoal and others to a plastic container. I think they are afraid to change the packaging on the number one seller Copenhagen. I have not followed it in a while but I know for years it stayed in that same package.
I did not talk with World Class but I suspect the reason for the change is a safety issue. I kept telling anyone that would listen these canister artillery shells continue to get loaded upside down by novice users.
I personally like all of these canister artillery shells. I like the look, the weight, the feel and the bang they all seem to make.

PyroManiacs
05-16-2017, 08:40 PM
I personally like all of these canister artillery shells. I like the look, the weight, the feel and the bang they all seem to make.

Exactly. You can just buy the cheapest ones and it wont really make a difference from the ones you spent more on.

Grillma$ter
05-18-2017, 04:53 AM
Not sure what kind of shells I'm getting this year. I may get some Excals but not sure yet. If I order from Spirit of '76, I may try the Hellcat cans.

I wound up with Diablos last year, but the 2-3 years before that I had Excals--- for cans. I usually pick up some random ball shell kits here and there.

FBpyro
06-20-2017, 12:35 PM
I still have a few left in my shed from previous years, it'll be interesting to do a comparison and see if they truly have lost some power.

upNdown
06-20-2017, 01:22 PM
I used excals last year and thought they were the best thing ever. This year I went with the Pro Shells - they're a bit cheaper, but hopefully just as good. Anybody fired any 2017 Pro Shells?

MontanaMike
06-20-2017, 03:42 PM
Commander in Chief from WFBoom has the plastic caps too. Also, the effects listed on the shells are different from the ones we had last year so I assume they are from a different manufacturer. I was also worried about having caps landing everywhere so I popped them all out -- they come out easy with a light tug on the fuse. Have not shot any of them yet.

hatsgoods
06-20-2017, 03:57 PM
Not sure what kind of shells I'm getting this year. I may get some Excals but not sure yet. If I order from Spirit of '76, I may try the Hellcat cans.

I wound up with Diablos last year, but the 2-3 years before that I had Excals--- for cans. I usually pick up some random ball shell kits here and there.

the hellcats cans are about the same to me if anything the hellcats dont have as much color as the diablos or xcalas. just my 2 cents

papageorgio
06-30-2017, 10:19 PM
Commander in Chief from WFBoom has the plastic caps too. Also, the effects listed on the shells are different from the ones we had last year so I assume they are from a different manufacturer. I was also worried about having caps landing everywhere so I popped them all out -- they come out easy with a light tug on the fuse. Have not shot any of them yet.
I got the Ghost Killers from Magnus and Exterminator from Megabanger, these both had the caps. I have the same concern about the mess, so I took them off also. The Ghost Killers popped off no problem, the Exterminators were actually glued on and some didn't come out. I was hoping somebody else had tried popping the caps off and firing them to see if it made a difference. I can't imagine it would.

Hartman
07-04-2017, 04:17 PM
I'm new here and saw this post and figured I would respond. I've been shooting Excals for a decade and I just finished setting off a few cases (2017 model with new plastic cap) and they are the same ol Excals they have always been based on my eyeball test. Still the King of Mortars in my book....

bani
07-05-2017, 04:50 AM
2017 excals seemed as good as ever tonight.

Grillma$ter
07-07-2017, 04:17 AM
the hellcats cans are about the same to me if anything the hellcats dont have as much color as the diablos or xcalas. just my 2 cents

I wound up getting Black Widow shells this year. Very nice shells.

gt95stang300
07-07-2017, 09:57 PM
First time i used excals this year and im guessing last years stock since no plastic but effects were mislabeled which turns me off of them. Ill stick with so76 single effects packs next year so i know exactly whats going up.

38344fireman
07-07-2017, 11:24 PM
Good luck with ours this year. Just as usual mislabed...