PDA

View Full Version : Finale pod

Kenny East
04-30-2017, 04:22 PM
Thank you to pyromaster for the inspiration for this build, wanted a way to be able to fuse up a bunch of 1.75" shells for the finale... My quick fuse is pretty fragile so building chains with it are kinda risky... Saw their display assurance pods, perfect for this application...

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2120&stc=1

displayfireworks1
04-30-2017, 05:03 PM
Kenny, post a few more pics of the sides.

Kenny East
05-01-2017, 12:34 AM
I was going to buy tote boxes for it but had these around and they fit so i used them... Lids split and interlock in the middle with enough room between the tops of the tubes and lid to accommodate fuse or quick match...http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2127&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2128&stc=1

Kenny East
05-01-2017, 12:36 AM
Used 5/8" plywood on the bottom and strips of hdpe to make a framework to space the tubes out a bit, and help keep it all together if i have a shell break in a tube...

Northern Sky
05-01-2017, 09:32 AM
Please make standard 10 shot racks and attach them in the field to make what ever configuration you want. You have no control with a rack like this. You WILL have crossfires.

Safety should be your first concern. This kind of crate is great for transporting and storing supplies. I have about 30 of them. By no means should they be used for a rack. They are brittle and break easily. This is an accident waiting to happen.

My father frequently happens as a result of poor planning. This is a perfect example.

Please reconsider using this and please pass this information along to pyromaster.

Northern Sky
05-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Check here:

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?5629-Mortar-rack-build-job!

Kenny East
05-01-2017, 02:40 PM
Cross fires are not a concern with the fact that it's for the finale, the concern over it cracking or breaking is why i lined the bottom with plywood, and framed the whole inside with hdpe.... Basically a 70 shot rack inside a box... Pyromaster uses larger skid sized shipping containers for display tubes... They use steel frames inside with foam to keep it all together and make it float... I will let you know how it works though

chriskrc
05-01-2017, 04:07 PM
Cross fires are not a concern with the fact that it's for the finale, the concern over it cracking or breaking is why i lined the bottom with plywood, and framed the whole inside with hdpe.... Basically a 70 shot rack inside a box... Pyromaster uses larger skid sized shipping containers for display tubes... They use steel frames inside with foam to keep it all together and make it float... I will let you know how it works though

It sounds like you put some good thought into building this. Actually can't wait to see a video of this rack being used.

South Carolina Mike
05-01-2017, 04:45 PM
I couldn't agree with Norther Sky more, this is a trip to the hospital waiting to happen. I love your enthusiasm and creativity but you ALWAYS have to put safety first. If one shell blows in one of these tubes the shrapnel field will be huge! I wouldn't want to be within 500' of this thing when she goes.
The link he gave you is to my thread of building racks. I have 2 forty shot grand finale racks that I will set end to end to make 1 eighty shot rack, totally controlled and safe. Please look at the thread and reconsider!

Northern Sky
05-01-2017, 07:46 PM
They use steel frames inside with foam to keep it all togetheryou might want to duplicate this part too.and make it float... I will let you know how it works though

A nice fan of color adds more to a finale in my opinion.

When you've witnessed a finale rack of any size kato, I'd be happy to discuss how safe you think this is again.

I'm not going to go into details but, if something like this shows up at a display where I am the lead, it is going back in the truck. No discussion.

No AHJ anywhere would approve this.

I realize I can't change your mind so, please anticipate the worst EVERY time this is used.

Distance is your friend.

jamisonlm3
05-01-2017, 09:56 PM
I think it's a neat idea, but I'm worried about how it rack will react to a cato. To me, this is very similar to a milk crate rack, but bigger. Are the mortars screwed to the plywood base or is the HDPE strips and foam mainly what's keeping the mortars in place? There's probably going to be so much downward force in a cato, that a wood screw will be plenty to keep the plug in place on the plywood. What the mortar itself does, who knows? The staples may be enough to keep it from flying off or maybe it well fail in a more controled way. I think one thing many are worried about is how the plastic bin is in is going to react. Is it made of a softer kind of plastic? If a mortar closer to the sides catos, there's mayto be severe warpage to outright tearing or worse. If it's a harder plastic, there may severe cracking or even be pieces thrown. Honestly, I don't see this rack surviving a cato very well, but the foam may actually be a be a benifit or not. The pressure from the shell may push on the foam and it collapses, absorbing some force, but it may also be pushed out and damage the whole rack. The worst case scenario I can think of is a shell going off and blowing the whole rack apart with chunks of foam going in different directions with mortars still embedded.

Kenny East
05-02-2017, 02:56 AM
I do agree with the concerns of a shell breaking in a tube, though rare I've had it happen... This is mostly going to be filled with single and double break ball shells... Sky puke for the finale, not using it for salutes or cans... The hdpe strips are mostly there for spacing out the tubes... E pieces around the inside of the outside are heat formed around the whole set up and riveted together.... The tubes are not scewed to the plywood, the plywood is mostly to stop the tubes from breaking through the bottom of the tote... The tote is kinda a softer plastic it has some flex but if a can or salute were to go in the tube i believe it would be bad... I've seen what happens to a ten shot rack with a cato... Call me crazy but i think this will fare better than some i seen built or sold... Maybe i will test it with one of the shells i intend to use it with

Northern Sky
05-02-2017, 09:39 AM
I . Maybe i will test it with one of the shells i intend to use it with

That's a great idea. Fun for videoing too.

Kenny East
05-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Question is do a load a shell upside to simulate a cato... I know if i used a salute is would tear it up for sure, I'm considering taking it apart and putting the tubes in racks... That depends on if my guy comes through with a case of double break, color/report shells.... I've got 13 ten shot racks, just wanted something different... Safety is always a concern of mine and the more i think about it... The more i feel like it may be better to just rack them out...idk we shall see...

ras1986
05-03-2017, 07:45 PM
Load one in backwards. It's 1.4.. These guys worry too much. That foam is extra security. Do a video. Put 2 shells in upside down. Good canisters. One on the outside and one on the inside and light em. I'm guessing it will be fine

Kenny East
05-03-2017, 08:14 PM
If i used a good canister shell it will destroy the tube... No question, but i think ball shells would be fine... Idk we shall see

jamisonlm3
05-03-2017, 11:24 PM
Earlier in the year, we had a ball shell cato in one of my HDPE mortars. It was a Black Cat Color bomb. I don't know if it was one I plugged myself or one of the Excalibur mortars I cut the base off of. Either way, I didn't notice any damage and it was used the rest of the night with no problems. I know there are a varying quality of ball shells on the market, but I don't know if a consumer ball shell can damage a HDPE mortar.

djsmurf
05-03-2017, 11:52 PM
I agree with Northern Sky, not only a safety risk. But why sky puke a show for the finale?

Kenny East
05-04-2017, 03:09 AM
It's going to be lower level effect, usually put some nicer 3" and 2.5" shells over the top of it... Everyone seems to like it, using dunpai prestige 3" and versa 2.5" over the top this year... Maybe some mine boss slices... We shall see,

NorthernKYPyro
05-10-2017, 08:51 PM
This doesn't look as unsafe as it's being made out to be. I have had a 1.75 Salute go in a Milk crate rack. It wasn't too bad and as long as you and the audience are at a fair distance it shouldn't be an issue. I still have four milk crate racks with similar plastic and feel fine. In fact, one of the local retail stores sells Milk Crate racks pre-made. (I make them myself, it's cheaper.)
I can't wait to see it in action!

Kenny East
05-11-2017, 05:49 AM
I took the tubes out... Still have the foam and hdpe frame work inside the box, may put a few fiberglass tubes in and see what it does with a flower pot... I kinda feel like it would be fine, but if i add the peanut shells i want there's always that chance.... So im going to revisit the finale pod later... May make a stronger frame for the tubes