View Full Version : State's 1.4 Laws

Captaindlapnuts
04-17-2017, 08:09 PM
What with the 4th coming up, here is a list of the 50 states' 1.4 consumer fireworks laws, courtesy of Kellner's Fireworks;

http://www.kellfire.com/Pdf/2016_summary_of_state_info.pdf

nayslayer
04-17-2017, 08:18 PM
Thanks, good reference

PyroManiacs
04-17-2017, 10:13 PM
Great chart!

PyroMike79
04-18-2017, 12:56 PM
The information for Illinois is not exactly accurate on this chart. Laws were changed some years ago to allow local districts to approve retail sale of fountains, cakes, shells, etc. Firecrackers and rockets remain illegal for sale but everything else is allowed-assuming the local district approves. A permit would still be needed to shoot these items off, except for safe and sane items. Also, this list says a permit is needed for fountains. I do not believe that to be the case. Heck, my local Walgreens will have fountain packs for sale in another 4 or 5 weeks.

And keep an eye on those Iowa regulations. Looks like they are set to go full 1.4!

What with the 4th coming up, here is a list of the 50 states' 1.4 consumer fireworks laws, courtesy of Kellner's Fireworks;

http://www.kellfire.com/Pdf/2016_summary_of_state_info.pdf

NorthernKYPyro
04-18-2017, 06:16 PM
interesting to see how Kentucky's laws are laid out. From what local LEOs have told me everything 1.4 is legal to buy and sell. I swear i remember seeing that 1.4 was legalized a few years back.

countryboy7978
04-21-2017, 02:36 PM
The information for Illinois is not exactly accurate on this chart. Laws were changed some years ago to allow local districts to approve retail sale of fountains, cakes, shells, etc. Firecrackers and rockets remain illegal for sale but everything else is allowed-assuming the local district approves. A permit would still be needed to shoot these items off, except for safe and sane items. Also, this list says a permit is needed for fountains. I do not believe that to be the case. Heck, my local Walgreens will have fountain packs for sale in another 4 or 5 weeks.

And keep an eye on those Iowa regulations. Looks like they are set to go full 1.4!

Fountains require a permit if your town doesn't expressly allow them. State law allows only for sparklers, snaps, party poppers, snakes/smoke. Most of the fountain items are smoke crap by TNT. Some communities do allow permitless fireworks sales including cakes and shells. Effingham County is one example.

PyroMike79
04-26-2017, 10:39 PM
For anybody who is interested, the fireworks legalization bill has passed the Iowa house and been sent to the governor. He has already indicated his intention to sign the legislation. Looks like Iowa will be full legal any day now!

PyroManiacs
04-26-2017, 11:21 PM
Amazing! Just in time too!

Richspyroplace
04-27-2017, 01:37 AM
Good Stuff thank you! Was just going to post about this. I got a permit through my township in PA last year for 2016 and 2017...a one year permit...im looking for information regarding my county. Supposedly there is no ordinance in my county for fireworks but where do i find out more info on this? PA is a pain in the ass for firework information be uase every county and township has different laws and regulations. Do i need a permit for every county and township for every day i plan to shoot stuff off? Or just take chances on days i just want to shoot a few bottle rockets or firecrackers? I have an ATF license but that doesnt do much for PA local governing ignorance.

jknepp1954
04-27-2017, 08:58 AM
Good Stuff thank you! Was just going to post about this. I got a permit through my township in PA last year for 2016 and 2017...a one year permit...im looking for information regarding my county. Supposedly there is no ordinance in my county for fireworks but where do i find out more info on this? PA is a pain in the ass for firework information be uase every county and township has different laws and regulations. Do i need a permit for every county and township for every day i plan to shoot stuff off? Or just take chances on days i just want to shoot a few bottle rockets or firecrackers? I have an ATF license but that doesnt do much for PA local governing ignorance.
Pa counties DOES NOT have anything to do with permits or laws on fireworks. It is ALL GOVERNED by the LOCAL municipalities - twp, boro, city.
technically - YES - you do need a permit for everyday you shoot something off....technically
What you do however is up to you.....

Richspyroplace
04-27-2017, 01:59 PM
The biggest struggle every year is that these townships and municipalities dont even know the law or anything to do with permits. Theres two townships i spoke with last year and both never seen a permit before when i took it in to get signed. They told me "everyone just lights off what they want whenever they want" but all it takes is a state cop to be driving by at the same time your having a good time and there ya go...

Kenny East
04-27-2017, 02:51 PM
That's why I'm glad i live in Michigan... Since they repealed their former fireworks regulations... Now it's all legal.. Every holiday but some local jurisdictions have laws regarding when you can shoot off fire works....

FlyingDutchman
04-27-2017, 03:04 PM
That's why I'm glad i live in Michigan... Since they repealed their former fireworks regulations... Now it's all legal.. Every holiday but some local jurisdictions have laws regarding when you can shoot off fire works....

Yep, now I just need to get some land for those times between holidays lol

PyroMike79
04-27-2017, 03:35 PM
I think a lot of it just comes down to doing things the right way vs the wrong way. This is something I know Dave has touched on. If you live in a neighborhood and are blasting stuff all day you are just begging for trouble. If, however, you do a reasonable length show at an appropriate hour and invite (or at least notify) the neighbors, you are almost certainly in the clear. Whatever the state or local laws may say, the police don't want to mess with people celebrating the 4th with some fireworks. They are only going to go after the idiots who don't do it in the right way and end up with half the neighborhood complaining. In all my years shooting fireworks in IL, I have only once had the police stop by because of a complaint. The officer just asked if we could wrap the show up in the next 10 minutes or so and then asked if he could stick around and watch the fireworks. If you do things correctly, then 99 times out of a 100 there will be no police, and even then you have a 99% chance that the officer is going to be cool with you. Just do it the right way!

Rick_In_Tampa
04-30-2017, 12:15 PM
If Florida enforced ANY of their firework laws half the population would be locked up on the 4th! I think PyroMike79 got it exactly right. Be smart about it, and you won't have any issues. Adhere to the safety rules outlined in NFPA 1123, and be able to show any LE personnel how you're in compliance should they pop in to see what's going on, and you should be just fine.