PDA

View Full Version : New to Mortar racks and have a qustion...

lcwallis
04-12-2017, 06:18 PM
So at the end of the fireworks season last year I bought a 50 tube fanned fiberglass mortar rack crate for 75% off! 40 bucks.
they are fiberglass tubes angled in a crate sold by "Big"

I was pretty excited!

My question is, are these safe to shoot things like Excalibur out of for a big finale?

they are thin compared to the Excalibur mortars included in the package

Thank you for your help
Lynda

PyroManiacs
04-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Yes, you can use it to shoot Excals out of.

chriskrc
04-12-2017, 07:07 PM
I would say they are going to be just fine. I have purchased different types of shells some with hdpe tubes and some with fiberglass tubes. I have made poor man's racks out of these tubes and have shot different shells brands of shells out of them. Now hdpe is a better tube and will last longer but I think you will be fine.

lcwallis
04-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Thanks! I'm so excited!!!!
Can't wait to test it out haha

PyroJoeNEPA
04-13-2017, 03:46 PM
I have two 50 shot fanned fiberglass racks and have shot everything out of them from ball shells, 2& 3 break ball shells and many different brand cans including Zombie shells and Excals for several years. You will be fine.

Kenny East
04-15-2017, 01:57 AM
Always recycle... They will be fine for most consumer shells... There are a few that are smaller and even fewer that are bigger that the standard 1.75" just make sure they are not too small or too big...

djsmurf
04-16-2017, 12:25 AM
I'm beginning to move away from 1.75" cans, however I have shot tons of them out of just regular fiberglass guns. Excals guns are built to "help" if there is a catastrophic failure. Make sure your mortars are pointing at the sky and fire away, you will be fine.

PyroManiacs
04-16-2017, 11:57 AM
I'm beginning to move away from 1.75" cans...

And moving on toward..?

djsmurf
04-16-2017, 10:38 PM
And moving on toward..?

Thinking just 2.5" Chains of 3. I can fill the 1.75" can spots with a mix of them and cakes. I might try some faster fuse on some 1.75" cans, wfboom has Continuum in which look nice. All in all consumer mortars are just becoming a hassle in my show.

Rick_In_Tampa
04-17-2017, 07:09 PM
All in all consumer mortars are just becoming a hassle in my show.

How many mortars do you normally throw up in your show?

PyroManiacs
04-17-2017, 07:18 PM
Thinking just 2.5" Chains of 3. I can fill the 1.75" can spots with a mix of them and cakes. I might try some faster fuse on some 1.75" cans, wfboom has Continuum in which look nice. All in all consumer mortars are just becoming a hassle in my show.

I can see your reasoning.

djsmurf
04-18-2017, 12:11 AM
How many mortars do you normally throw up in your show?

1.75" was 384 in last years show, they worked well until we moved toward the end of the show. Just a speed issue. I'm not going to spend the money on 1.75" can's when I can push 2.5" Chains faster with better effects. Just a personal decision. I watched fused excals kill a show finale last year, no thanks. I would like to see the producers move away from messy "fully loaded" talk and focus on effect. Total Mortars, I would actually have to look lol.

djsmurf
04-18-2017, 12:22 AM
I can see your reasoning.

Thanks, everyone talks like Excals are amazing. I have shot plenty of 60g can's that preform just as well. What is sad is I use them for sky fill or noise rather then effect. There are plenty of 500g cakes that can take their place and provide better effect. I think tossing some good 2.5" chains above them will work well and avoid the junk effects that most consumer can's have. I shot Commander In Chief and Kiss of death last year, they hit hard with decent effects, however I'm looking for more.

jamisonlm3
04-18-2017, 01:16 AM
I shot a whole box of excalibur off earlier in the year and I thought the effects were average, but they were plenty loud. I want to get another box of Black Cat's Diablo to shoot. This time I'll record them like I did Excalibur.

djsmurf
04-19-2017, 12:34 AM
I shot a whole box of excalibur off earlier in the year and I thought the effects were average, but they were plenty loud. I want to get another box of Black Cat's Diablo to shoot. This time I'll record them like I did Excalibur.

Do post the video, I should do some as well. I did shoot Diablo a few years ago and they were decent. Commander In Chief was nice last year, still a fan of Kiss of Death. But loud is not my issue. Might be a different conversation if you are only shooting 1.4.

jamisonlm3
04-19-2017, 02:22 AM
Here you go. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWgTF8tSpq0) If you do, post it. Most videos are only of a few shells. Rarely do people record the whole box of shells. It's makes it very difficult to know what you're getting with these shells.

djsmurf
04-19-2017, 10:10 PM
Nice video man! Thanks for posting. You are right it is nice to see all the shells in a kit. I switched it up and order a case of Continuum just to play with. I'll post when I get a chance to shoot video.

jamisonlm3
04-20-2017, 01:15 AM
Definetely video and post it if you can. I'd like to know how they look. I know most people say all the canister shells out there are basically the same and I tend to agreee, but there are differences. Let me give you a few tips if you don't already know. Make sure you get use a tripod. I used an old Note II smartphone to record that video. It was around 100ft from the rack. Before I started recording, I shot a few Quest shells I had to get it pointed up right, but you could probably do the same with cheaper ball shells. Make sure you have enough space on your camera's internal memeory or any memory cards you'll be recording to. Make sure the battery is fully charged. Don't relay on another person to tell you if the camera is still recording.