PDA

View Full Version : Permit? Other Requirements?

bohicarlp
04-11-2017, 03:26 PM
So I just got off the phone talking with the supervisor of a township that I will be doing a show in. I asked him all the requirements for the Township. He told me he spoke to the county and there are no Permits or any requirements other than, The Fireworks must be Michigan Legal and I must be licensed with the ATF. Has anyone ever come across this before? Where I live, permit and insurance is a requirement.

Thanks

Captaindlapnuts
04-11-2017, 06:58 PM
What about any other state requirements?

displayfireworks1
04-11-2017, 07:11 PM
What is it you are trying to do? Are you selling a display? Shooting in your yard? Someone else property? Are you ATF licensed? What type of fireworks ? Write something for us so we understand. The guy you talked to obviously does not know anything because he is calling other people and you are getting third hand information. Stop calling people and explain your situation

bohicarlp
04-11-2017, 09:32 PM
Sorry, I should of stated more information other than doing a show. I have my 54, as of last year, thanks to the help of Daves video. I will be having a display on my property for family and friends. Not in commerce. I was contacting the AHJ to find out the stipulations on shooting a mix of 1.3 and 1.4. Permits, bond of insurance, and so forth. The man in charge of the township, I am located in, told me the information I stated in my first post. Where I live, permit and insurance is needed. In his township, he stated no permit or insurance was required to do a private show. By the way, I am located in Michigan, technically no certs are required other than ATF license, and competency.

yoshisbar
04-11-2017, 09:41 PM
So If you have an atf license and have competency shoot your show!. Do a little piece of mind and call the state police to let them know "Hey I am joe smo were are shooting a fireworks show tonight so if you get any complaints, I am atf license holder and will just be about 20 min, and get off the phone. Make sure to have you license and records handy when you shoot and your fine...

bohicarlp
04-11-2017, 09:54 PM
I agree with yoshisbars statement. I am just less than a year new with the 54 and am trying to cover all the bases. And so far, permits and insurance have been required.

displayfireworks1
04-12-2017, 09:38 AM
Instead of calling people I would recommend looking at township websites searching for fireworks permits , ordinances that sort of thing. You never know who answers the phone and they can tell you all sorts of bullshit. In reality, it does not matter what they tell you on the phone if it is not written anyway. Most of these people that answer the phone are going to be smart enough to give you a generic answer anyway. If you keep calling people one will eventually tell you No. No is always safe answer for these local government types. If you want to call people, you ask if the township has a fireworks ordinance , you do not ask for permission. If I remember correctly Michigan state made it that local townships can not exempt themselves from the state fireworks law.
You live in Michigan , fireworks are legal there . You have an ATF license . You are not in commerce. Depending on the property size and what you are shooting it all sounds reasonable.

PyroManiacs
04-12-2017, 03:10 PM
I would recommend looking at township websites searching for fireworks permits , ordinances that sort of thing.

I have actually done this for multiple cities/townships around Philly and Erie, just for shits and giggles. Most of them didn't have any information what-so-ever pertaining to fireworks ordinances or permits on their websites.

It would be nice If there was some sort of master list for this ordinance info per state.

Richspyroplace
04-28-2017, 01:38 AM
I have actually done this for multiple cities/townships around Philly and Erie, just for shits and giggles. Most of them didn't have any information what-so-ever pertaining to fireworks ordinances or permits on their websites.

It would be nice If there was some sort of master list for this ordinance info per state.

I agree...in PA there is so much confusion among these municipalities...most of them will just say no or call someone else becuase they dont know and dont want to be liable....PA needs to get it together....

Kenny East
04-28-2017, 02:52 AM
I'm in Michigan, got my 54... Last year they only asked when it was, requested that i keep salutes to a minimum.. And shook hands on it... Verbal permission from my township... It's more of an issue in mi if its aa public affair or in a larger city... Kalamazoo last i knew didn't charge for a permit to shoot... While grand rapids charged $300... Depends where your doing it... There is a form available for display fireworks in mi, but it's more of a template fot local governing bodies to keep records and approve or denie... Keep a recorf of who you got approval from... Have a shoot site plan, have them sign off on it... What i did last year to cover my ace

PyroManiacs
04-28-2017, 10:31 PM
While grand rapids charged $300...

Philly a few years ago was $300 as well, and last I heard as of recent, it has doubled to $600.

Kenny East
04-29-2017, 01:13 AM
Yeah,most jurisdictions in Michigan don't have a formal permit... So they don't have a fee associated... I remember before they redid the fireworks law here... Asking for a permit for areal display fireworks.. One fire department made me buy a burning permit.... For $12... Then they wrote the word fireworks on it.... I couldn't do it if it cost me $600 a show... I'd be looking to shoot it elsewhere

bohicarlp
04-29-2017, 08:41 PM
The county/city I live in is asking $500 for the permit and 2 million liability.

hatsgoods
05-02-2017, 04:04 PM
Philly a few years ago was $300 as well, and last I heard as of recent, it has doubled to $600.

holy cow i wont be doing my moms wedding show in Philly now, thanks for the heads up

Kenny East
05-04-2017, 03:28 AM
Nice thing about some 1.3 distributors is they provide liability insurance with any product purchased, some offer it for a fee... Per show or annually

Melp
05-07-2017, 07:50 PM
hey Bohicarlp I also live in michigan and have had my 54 for 3 years, every township and county I have asked to shoot in is the same answer as long as it is on a holiday they don't give out permits. Its was very frustrating. Not sure where you are in Michigan but Im in the Grand Rapids area

displayfireworks1
05-07-2017, 07:58 PM
What is the current law for Consumer Fireworks in Michigan? Last I hear the local areas could not exempt themselves from the state law permitting fireworks. I am hearing from ATF license holders in Michigan that are shooting 1.3 items along with Consumer Fireworks and not getting special permits. We are talking about a non-profit display for your own enjoyment or event correct.

Melp
05-07-2017, 08:41 PM
From all the townships I have asked for permits they say that as long as you are shooting the day before, the day of, or the day after a major
holiday you do not need a permit. This is if you are not shooting for profit. I have even gone as far as to explain the difference between 1.3 and 1.4 I got the same answer. All the professional shoots that I have done all permits have been pulled by the the company that I shoot for.
The law limits you to shooting to just the major holidays, I have a friend that wants me to do a reveal for her pregnancy which I am working on the township to get the okay. I will post later what happens

Kenny East
05-07-2017, 10:38 PM
For consumer fireworks in Michigan, there are 10 holidays we can shoot on, before, or after... Local gov can put ordinances in place regarding hours of when they can be shot off... They mostly changed the law to collect the extra tax on fireworks that people would just drive to Indiana to buy... I pop shells off every once in a while to test something new, or if it's a home made shell... Gotta know how it looks... No one has complained yet, but i do provide a few of the neighbors with some consumer boom, kinda a payoff i guess

bohicarlp
05-08-2017, 09:33 PM
Yep Kenny East is correct with the laws for consumer. As far as my show(s), it is all for non-profit. Just the pure enjoyment of the show and family and friends.

bohicarlp
05-08-2017, 09:34 PM
Yep Kenny East and Melp are correct with the laws for consumer. As far as my show(s), it is all for non-profit. Just the pure enjoyment of the show and family and friends.