PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering........

RalphieJ
04-05-2017, 06:15 AM
.......when assembling maroon inserts, instead of pre-mixing the binary charge would it be advisable to add the two ingredients separately, sealing, and then rolling or gently shaking the the completed piece to mix the powder? I read that cherry bombs were assembled similarly (with sulfur!) and then tumbled to coat the outer shell and mix the powder simultaneously. Are there less risks than diapering in the open air or not? It would certainly be less messy during the mixing/charging phases and would eliminate any dust in the air as well. Comments?

Kenny East
04-12-2017, 03:39 AM
I wouldn't do that personally.. My report inserts all get filled with mixed flash... The diper method is how i mix it... Keeping to total weight around 10g... Keep it cleaner by using a funnel and taking your time...

RalphieJ
04-21-2017, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't do that personally.. My report inserts all get filled with mixed flash... The diaper method is how i mix it... Keeping to total weight around 10g... Keep it cleaner by using a funnel and taking your time...

Thanks Ken. But I cannot get the thought of way back then when millions of cherry salutes were tumbled (rolled is more like it) in a paddle-less cement mixer (and then drilled for fusing!) without incident, using a much more sensitive mixture than today's widely accepted 70/30. And I shudder every time I recall my friend in the flash shack mixing pounds of the stuff. I turned right around and left on those days.

Kenny East
04-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Yeah, i talked with an old timer talking about mixing 10# batches of flash... Of course the guy was missing two fingers... Dont know if it was fireworks related but i wouldn't try it... I suppose you could mix in the tubes but you would have no way to know how mixed it is... Also you would have to leave plenty of air space... I do know that some of the old comps were very sensitive... If you try it, I'd say stay away from any formulas using sulphur, sulphides, or magnesium.... And rig some kind of remote tumbling system to gently tumble or roll them... Be safe

displayfireworks1
04-21-2017, 10:00 PM
If remember correctly Albert at Little Big Shots makes 8 lbs off flash at a time. I guess if you want to make it commercially you need to get a little braver.

Kenny East
04-22-2017, 03:57 AM
Yeah, i will stick to small batch... Like 100grams or less... If i need more at one time i just mix up small amounts and add them together.... Only time I've needed that much at one time was for 4" salutes... I have seen 6", 8", and 10" salutes for sale.. That's a crazy amount of flash... They get classed as UN 1.1 explosive too... Would love to see the bark those have