PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks Storage

PyroDAD87
03-26-2017, 03:03 AM
This may have been covered already, but I was just curious to everybody's answer. I currently store my fireworks in my bedroom closet. I have them neatly packed and not thrown about. They are kept dry and away from anything flammable. I just want to make sure this is fine and that nothing can spontaneously combust. Some of them have been in there for over a year maybe more. Any responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks...

displayfireworks1
03-26-2017, 06:55 AM
Are you less than 19 years old or live in an apartment? I'm thinking it is one of those two. LOL

Shootit
03-26-2017, 08:19 AM
No they are not going to spontaneously combust, but they are a hazard.
Now the odds that storing them in the closet is going to bite you are slim but it will be a very nasty lotto to win.

I have read of multiple houses totaled because a inside stash got lit accidentally.
Once the fire department knows fireworks are inside don't expect them to go in to save the house.

Having them in a attached garage means you will most likely be able to get out, having them where you sleep not helping on that front......

PyroDAD87
03-26-2017, 09:13 AM
No I'm 30 and have my own house...I take care to ensure nothing accidentally will get lit i.e. No kids allowed in the closet except to pick out which fireworks they want to see go off. I am in there with them at that point. I do not have a garage just a shed. I do not want moisture to get to them during the seasons if I were to store them in the shed. Furthermore, it's not like I'm storing flash powder or home made salutes. All of my stuff is store bought 1.4.

PyroDAD87
03-26-2017, 10:19 AM
I realize there are better options, but my problem is I don't have the space. I'd rather get a good size day box and put them in there.

PyroManiacs
03-26-2017, 04:23 PM
If you have the room in your shed, but still worried about excessive moisture... you could just put a pallet down.... then lay a tarp down on it and put the product on the top of the tarp and pull the sides up over the product, then throw another tarp covering everything from the top down. This way you wont have to worry about moisture from underneath getting up into it, or from above.

PyroDAD87
03-26-2017, 07:03 PM
Gotcha...that should work...I'll give it a try. Thx

PyroMike79
03-27-2017, 12:04 AM
To add on, does anybody have any wisdom on temperature changes damaging fireworks? I have several totes of misc stuff that I store in my attic. Do I need to worry about the heat or cold affecting the fireworks?

chriskrc
03-27-2017, 09:53 AM
To add on, does anybody have any wisdom on temperature changes damaging fireworks? I have several totes of misc stuff that I store in my attic. Do I need to worry about the heat or cold affecting the fireworks?

If they are sealed in totes I don't think you will have anything to worry about

PyroMike79
03-27-2017, 11:02 AM
If they are sealed in totes I don't think you will have anything to worry about

Thanks much. I figured this was the case but wanted to get some input. I have accumulated so much random pyro over the years that is just builds up.

nayslayer
03-27-2017, 11:05 AM
I always worried about storing in my shed, but I'll go ahead. I have mine in Plastic totes from Big Box store.

fatcat
03-27-2017, 08:27 PM
I know this subject comes up annually but for what it is worth I live right on the Coast of MS where the summertime temps hit the 90's and the humidity is well up into the high 80's and low 90's and I store my consumer pyro products in a portable building/shed. I keep them in their original cartons and sprinkle mothballs around them for rodent protection. Never had a problem with them firing. The other folks ideas are great but that is my 2 cents. Bottom line, keep them dry and rodent free and you should have no problems

Rocketshooter
03-28-2017, 12:55 PM
I keep mine under the wife's side of the bed. :D

nayslayer
03-28-2017, 01:11 PM
Great idea Rocketshooter

shake the cove
04-01-2017, 10:27 AM
And check read your homeowners insurance policy. Bet you are not covered for storing fireworks or hazardous material in the house. Even if you had a kitchen fire that eventually set off the fireworks I am sure the insurance lawyers would argue to get out of paying the cost of the house.

Sigh...living in america

hjason7812
04-05-2017, 03:49 AM
i would go purchase a small shipping container and use that as your magazine.. They come in 20 and 40 foot sizes and are way cheaper than building a new house or paying lawyer fees..