PDA

View Full Version : Quiz time

displayfireworks1
03-22-2017, 06:27 PM
Quiz time: Who knows what this is? plus What can you tell us about it?
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1997&stc=1

PyroJoeNEPA
03-22-2017, 06:34 PM
Det Cord. Goes BOOM! Nice find! Great to clean the snow off of a driveway! LOL!!!!!!

displayfireworks1
03-22-2017, 06:50 PM
What country of origin? Is this det cord or? Same as ignitor cord? Official name?

PyroJoeNEPA
03-22-2017, 07:14 PM
What country of origin? Is this det cord or? Same as ignitor cord? Official name?

Det cord, detacord, primer cord--trade names "Primacord or Cordtex" are the two names I have heard for it. Used a lot here in the mining industry. Ignitor cord is another name. Made with PETN.
99% probability that what you have was made here in the USA. Several US manufacturers. A Google search of "blasting supplies" will most likely show you a bunch of US manufacturers as well as get you "red flagged" by a couple assorted government agencies. LOL. You can Google it--I will pass on that one!!!

displayfireworks1
03-22-2017, 07:22 PM
Word I am getting is it is Mantitor from Brazil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg1OK7lnfBM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atrd01XweqU

PyroJoeNEPA
03-22-2017, 07:38 PM
Then that is NOT det cord. Det cord doesn't burn but explodes. Couldn't tell too well from the original picture. Thermalite is used a lot by the "rocket guys". I have some somewhere. It is similar to the "Jetex" fuse sold back in the early '60's for model rocketry. Nice stuff--will burn under water.

Ctpyro180
03-22-2017, 08:01 PM
Maybe Shocktubing...if it a plastic tube with a powder coating inside...burns 20,000 feet per second ..... det cord is normally yellow or orange

But without a piece in front of me it does also resemble thermalite also...

displayfireworks1
03-22-2017, 08:54 PM
I heard the one good thing about this for finale is it is very resistant to side ignition. But I only know it from stories told to me.

liame
03-23-2017, 02:24 PM
its not det cord. that burns at 32,000 feet a second (if my memory is correct)

countryboy7978
03-23-2017, 05:22 PM
That is not detonation cord which typically has a fiber jacket around a core of PETN which requires a blasting cap to set if off. It will not burn like a fuse nor explode if you light it with a flame. Det cord will explode with enough force to cut metal or sever tree branches. This is also not shock tubing which is a flexible yellow tube that has a dusting of HMX (an HE similar to flash powder). Shock tubing is not initiated by flame either, instead by a special detonator. The tube doesn't burn externally nor does it rupture the tubing. In theory, you could wrap it around your arm and set it off and you will not be harmed although I won't volunteer to try it. The stuff above does look like igniter cord of some sort. Builders used to use it for cross matching time fuse on their aerial shells. It should have a fine wire running through it to allow it to be bent and stay in place. It's supposed to be more reliable than visco fuse that we are used to in the fireworks world.

rocky99
03-28-2017, 09:29 AM
It's shock tubing....plastic tubing that has a light coating of PETN (a very fast high explosive) inside it. Usually initiated by a shotgun shell primer type gizmo. It takes the place of electricity to set off blasting caps.

PyroManiacs
03-28-2017, 09:59 AM
It's shock tubing....plastic tubing that has a light coating of PETN (a very fast high explosive) inside it. Usually initiated by a shotgun shell primer type gizmo. It takes the place of electricity to set off blasting caps.

Rocky, I think you missed this whole post below...

This is also not shock tubing which is a flexible yellow tube that has a dusting of HMX (an HE similar to flash powder). Shock tubing is not initiated by flame either, instead by a special detonator. The tube doesn't burn externally nor does it rupture the tubing. In theory, you could wrap it around your arm and set it off and you will not be harmed although I won't volunteer to try it. The stuff above does look like igniter cord of some sort. Builders used to use it for cross matching time fuse on their aerial shells. It should have a fine wire running through it to allow it to be bent and stay in place. It's supposed to be more reliable than visco fuse that we are used to in the fireworks world.

Kenny East
03-31-2017, 03:01 PM
It has a thin wire inside and what looks like nichrome wire on the outside... Had no idea what it was when i got it in a box of sticky match and quick match

displayfireworks1
03-31-2017, 07:05 PM
OK Kenny now everyone knows who sent me the picture. Now you can describe it in more detail. Can you get a picture of the label. By the way is that quick match 5 strand or one big black fuse. I am wondering if you have some South American quick match to go along with that Mantitor

shake the cove
04-01-2017, 10:05 AM
we used mantitor a few years ago at Pyro Shows when we wanted to have a e-match ignite a shell and used a length of mantitor to have it ignite another shell. It burned at a steady rate I am guessing 1 sec per inch. Saved having to wireless e-match or use extra quest.
Would be interested to know what rate the Thermalite burns per inch.

Kenny East
04-02-2017, 12:48 AM
The quick match i got from him is water proof 5 stranded... Red color out side...
The ignitor cord spool just has a stamped in lable, does say 35-45 sec/met... Thats about it

displayfireworks1
04-03-2017, 06:31 PM
That quick match that has the red wrapper, my guess is that it is the gray fuse stuff I talked about in another post. Is it gray?

rocky99
04-04-2017, 03:40 PM
That does not look like any ignitor cord I have ever seen. It is a woven type of fuse, not encased in plastic as in the picture and came in at least three speeds. It also did not have a visible straight wire running down the center of it but wire material was part of the outside weave. So just what is this stuff??

displayfireworks1
04-04-2017, 06:29 PM
Mail me a 12 inch piece of that stuff. i'll get some close up photo's.

joewad
04-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Wrapped a few times around a stump makes a quick stump remover. Worked with a few fellows that had a lot of stories about det cord while in nam. Leave it at that.

drtoivowillmann
04-05-2017, 04:51 AM
Brazilian Matitor match.

Yous truly: Toivo

rocky99
04-06-2017, 05:17 PM
Mail me a 12 inch piece of that stuff. i'll get some close up photo's.

Don't want to mail any but I'll try to get a couple close ups of it when it stops raining!!

Kenny East
04-12-2017, 03:12 AM
The quick match i got with the red wrap is actually black, but it is like 5 years old by my guess... The manitor and the sticky match both have 2012 mfg dates on them... Whats the best way to ship 1.4G?... I've got your address around some where... I will send you a couple feet of the ignitor cord

Kenny East
05-21-2017, 05:54 PM
Tested a piece of ignitor cord today... As well as some other fuse...
https://youtu.be/tQi21bWv2yA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQi21bWv2yA&feature=youtu.be

chris v
06-05-2017, 09:55 PM
The ptro company i use to work for used this its manticor its a very accurate time fuse that is sensitive enough to be used with an ematch they quit manufacturing it and switched to the z-17 z-22 fuses they are a close match

Kenny East
06-06-2017, 05:35 AM
The ptro company i use to work for used this its manticor its a very accurate time fuse that is sensitive enough to be used with an ematch they quit manufacturing it and switched to the z-17 z-22 fuses they are a close match

I was given info on where to order manitor... They say it's still made, just not imported anymore.. Worked great on some shells i chained the other day... Not too fast and not as slow as visco